Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is it right to study deep into the Bible?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
J

JamesLovesGod

Hi all,

I love learning and studying very deep into the bible, but i was just thinking about what it is im doing. Instead of reading wisdom and taking it in im actually breaking it down and nit-picking. Should we really be doing this? I dont want to turn into a theologist that sits here picking arguments on the bible, cos thats not what were supposed to do.

Would god recommend us to look deep into the bible and examine dates ect? Wouldnt we be trying to find faults? which means we arn't beliving the word of god.

Please help.

I think there is a fine line that can be crossed, not sure what that line is
though :wink:

Soma-Sight said:
Dont become a fundamentalist!

That is the bottom line!
Actually, the fundamentals of Christianity are a good thing to live by and stand firm in. We can see very clearly by your array of posts trying to pick Jesus apart what happens when someone does not stand firm on the fundamentals.

Consider me a fudamentalist who is proud to wear the tag.

Paul told Timothy, "Remind them of these things, and solomnly charge them in the presence of God not to wrangle about words, which is useless and leads to teh ruin of the hearers. BeDiligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." (2 Tim. 2:14-15 NASB)

Paul is not telling Timothy to stay away from studying deeply into the word, or even not to understand the words of his studies. Rather, as Paul goes on to explain, to "avoind worldy and empty words" (vs 16). It's important for us as believers to understand what the words mean since they weren't originally written in English. Studying the meaning of the Greek, gettting deep into the word is not nit-picking, but rather 'accurately handling' the word. If we don't understand what it is that is truly being said, then how can we know that we've truly gotten it right.

There is a point were quibbling over words does get in the way of the message of the passage though, and this is when it becomes 'worldly and empty chatter' and 'leads to the ruin of the hearers'. This wrangling of words can even lead to 'a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language , eveil suspicions, and constant friction between men of dpraved mind and deprived of the truth, who supposed that godliness was a means of gain.' (1 Tim. 6:4-5 NASB) Make no mistake, it's important to have a knowlege of 'sound words' as this this is equated to sound doctrine (1 Tim. 6:3 NSAB), but we must also know when this turns into 'wrangling' about words.

Paul tells Titus that and elders qualifications includes 'holding fast the word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradicts.' (Tit. 1:8 NASB) Hear again Paul equates words with sound doctrine. The words of sound doctrine then are important for the Christian because we are able to exhort one another and refute those that contradict them. Thus it is important to 'hold fast' those words.

How can we be 'ready in season and out' if we don't get into the meat of the word? Is it truly possible to refute and exhort if we don't even really understand the words of sound doctrine that we so dearly hold as vital to our being as Christians? But don't let this desire to delve into the word lead to word wrangling.

In Christ,
Matthew

Never hurts too study too deep!

I wouldn't have been able to do my study here on Psalm 119, if I hadn't!

Bill :)

JamesLovesGod said:
Hi all,

I love learning and studying very deep into the bible, but i was just thinking about what it is im doing. Instead of reading wisdom and taking it in im actually breaking it down and nit-picking. Should we really be doing this? I dont want to turn into a theologist that sits here picking arguments on the bible, cos thats not what were supposed to do.

Would god recommend us to look deep into the bible and examine dates ect? Wouldnt we be trying to find faults? which means we arn't beliving the word of god.

Please help.

Deep? See Hebrews 5:11-13 & then Hebrews 6:1-6. From milk to meat. Do you know what that means?

Then read Luke 12:47-48 for depth???

Will that do it? If not, do you remember Christ saying that in the last days that knowledge will be increased? Well, our bible is in print and has been way before we'ins, huh? :fadein: But what does Christ's Word mean then, in Hosea 4:6? Reject knowledge??? AND HE WILL REJECT US!

And find faults??? We best find faults, and start with ourself! How else are we to mature???

---John

I think the answer will differ with each individual who approaches the bible. Not everyone has the literal approach, nor the symbolic; but it all adds up to our own unique understanding of our Father's hand.

The difference is more about why we approach the bible in the first place.

Some people want to find God for the very first time, some have known of Him for a while and continue styuding the bible to see the Father revealed further - while others need to scrutinise the bible for faults.

It is the individual who picks up the good-book which determines what they will get out of it; not so much a blanket approach for everyone. For all the knowledge in the world, someone can still miss the true meaning of the Father's hand and why it works the way it does.

So long as studying the bible does not replace the importance of the one most high.

Lyric's Dad said:
[quote="Soma-Sight":385da]Dont become a fundamentalist!

That is the bottom line!
Actually, the fundamentals of Christianity are a good thing to live by and stand firm in. We can see very clearly by your array of posts trying to pick Jesus apart what happens when someone does not stand firm on the fundamentals.

Consider me a fudamentalist who is proud to wear the tag.[/quote:385da]

Ditto that!

I wonder if a person would want to fly on a plane with a person who didn't believe in the fundamentals of aerodynamics? :-D

John the Baptist said:
JamesLovesGod said:
Hi all,

Please help.

Deep? See Hebrews 5:11-13 & then Hebrews 6:1-6. From milk to meat. Do you know what that means?

Will that do it? If not, do you remember Christ saying that in the last days that knowledge will be increased? Well, our bible is in print and has been way before we'ins, huh? :fadein: But what does Christ's Word mean then, in Hosea 4:6? Reject knowledge??? AND HE WILL REJECT US!

And find faults??? We best find faults, and start with ourself! How else are we to mature???

---John

Excellent post. Listen to John the Baptist. It's never a BAD thing to study the deep things of the Bible. God wants us to grow up.
A LOT of other lazy Christians DON"T want you to grow up, because that would make their walk uncomfortable.

Study is fine, as much as you want, but knowing what God is seeking to get us to understand is critical in our approach to it. So, this quote below made in an earlier post, I think, is fitting:

If we don't understand what it is that is truly being said, then how can we know that we've truly gotten it right.

If we don't understand what it is that is truly being said, then how can we know that we've truly gotten it right.

{{{{{YAWN!!}}}}}

Listen, it's fine to study and read the bible ALL you want. We don't understand the whole bible the first, second, or 40th time we open it and read!
Why are you trying to retard this person's spiritual growth?
Put your harness on a dog, not a human seeking Jesus.

Tzalam said:
John the Baptist said:
JamesLovesGod said:
Hi all,

Please help.

---John

Excellent post. Listen to John the Baptist. It's never a BAD thing to study the deep things of the Bible. God wants us to grow up.
A LOT of other lazy Christians DON"T want you to grow up, because that would make their walk uncomfortable.

Tzalam: Amen! God will reveal His word to all who seek Him!

:-D Bill!

Ditto that!

Ditto that ditto, signed, a proud Tzalam fundamentalist.

I wonder if a person would want to fly on a plane with a person who didn't believe in the fundamentals of aerodynamics? :-D
HA HA! How witty you are! Good one! :-D

So, let me ask you gentlemen a question:
If a person does not believe that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all One, doesn't that person need to seriously examine their, how shall I say it politely? Hmmm....their.............POSITION they BELIEVE they hold in the Kingdom of God?
I await your answer, and not very patiently.

Tzalam said:

{{{{{YAWN!!}}}}}

Listen, it's fine to study and read the bible ALL you want. We don't understand the whole bible the first, second, or 40th time we open it and read!

Obviously you missed the point. If you have paid attention to very many of the discussions on this board you would find that there are many blanket statements and misunderstandings of what God is seeking to communicate in His word by those who choose to focus more on their argumentive position than the truth of what is said. I'm not at all referring to people who are reading and learning as we all do.

[quote:biggrinfea6]Why are you trying to retard this person's spiritual growth?
Put your harness on a dog, not a human seeking Jesus.
[/quote:biggrinfea6]

That's quite an accusation. So much for understanding.

Tzalam said:

Ditto that!

Ditto that ditto, signed, a proud Tzalam fundamentalist.

HA HA! How witty you are! Good one! :-D

So, let me ask you gentlemen a question:
If a person does not believe that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all One, doesn't that person need to seriously examine their, how shall I say it politely? Hmmm....their.............POSITION they BELIEVE they hold in the Kingdom of God?
I await your answer, and not very patiently.

Why dont you study your Bible and find out??

I still dont think you have a grasp on the whole Oneness V Trinity
debate you keep running aroud these boards to find somebody that
supports your view.

John here: Seems to me that I was referred to as a gentile dog, before I was harnessed. :o Some even say that I am in jail. Matthew 28:20. COMMANDED me??? Whatever? But anyhow, now I love my Master, how about you???

No, I didn't miss the point.

It irritates me no end to hear people putting wet blankets on
a naturally inquisitive mind.

Hey, is that a current photo of yourself? How's that binky doin for ya?

Tzalam said:
No, I didn't miss the point.

It irritates me no end to hear people putting wet blankets on
a naturally inquisitive mind.

Hey, is that a current photo of yourself? How's that binky doin for ya?

I haven't put a wet blanket on anyone's mind except that you perceived it that way and made your accusation, and I made that clear in my reply. Now you have to save face in spite of it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back