Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Love

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Link1983

Hold fast to saying the same thing (as the Word)
Many people here seems to to talk about love in different ways and opinions.
I have studied the Word and found that true love is the most important thing for me to learn.
Yes learn. Because I do not think that I really have come to understand what it really is.

I understand that there are different kinds of love.
The God kind of love (Agape) is a very different kind of love than the human kind of love!

Not that all human love is only bad but it is a selfish kind of love.
The God kind of love is unselfish.

Interested to hearing what fellow believers view this personally, and also and more importantly your Biblical studies and research on the subject.

The most important subject ever! ?❤️
Sincerely -Michael-

Hi Link
1 Corinthians 13
You need the whole chapter. It is beautiful.
Here are a couple of verses, but read the whole thing.
4. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up.
5. Does not behave rudely, does not seek it's own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;

Love is hard work.
Real love is not glamorous.
Love is patience. Hanging in there when hope is forlorn.
Love in marriage is trusting your partner.
Love is giving people the benefit of the doubt.
Loving kids is setting them boundaries but showing your interest in their lives. Trying to understand their point of view.
Love is stating calmly when you are annoyed without malice.
Love is not allowing others to treat you badly.
Love is firm, not aggressive.

Love in leadership is service. But not trying to please. Rather asking what is best for all concerned in the long run. Knowing when to be kind and when to assert authority.

Sorry link. I just think it is good for us to think about what real love is and put in our own words. Corinthians 13 is of course the gold standard. But why not extend that.
We can think about when we felt truly loved too.
Once my father caught buses and trains to the airport to greet me at the airport. It was a 2 hour trip. How selfless his love was for his kids.

Love is never calculating..."what's in it for me?". Love is thinking " what can I do to improve the situation for all concerned,?"

As the years go by, hopefully our definition of love matures. When I was in my 20s I very much believed in romantic love. Finding the perfect woman and having a perfect marriage. My marriage has not been perfect but my notion of what love means has changed. Don't expect perfection from yourself or others. Learn to accept what can't be changed. Focus on the good traits in others and their behaviour will blossom. Patience is crucial. Impatience is the language of the devil.

Reactions: JLB
I wrote a book about love. You are absolutely right, except that it not human love that it superficial, it is romantic love. Humans can also love God, (agape), their neighbor, their friends, and their family in a way that is healthy and inspired by God.

Romantic love, or what Kierkegaard calls "preferential love," is the only kind of human love that has problems. It can be addictive. It promises forever and never delivers. It can be like getting drunk. It blinds us to who we are in love with. In the hands of a love addict, it can destroy their life or even kill them.

As you suggest, the solution is agape for the most part. But we must not underestimate the love of neighbor, family, and self. Charitable love is also important. While on earth, we cannot escape human love so I don't want to shame people for loving in human ways. But we must be careful when it comes to romantic love. Not a stranger to it, but careful. There are also many people who are afraid of love. They are called Avoidants or Ambivalents. They ignore love and they are miserable as a result. There is a middle ground. It is a matter of priorities. When you put God's love first the other forms of love will also be healthy.

Thanks for your post. This is a very important subject to me. My book is entitled Addiction to Love by Susan Peabody

P.S. The best book on the danger of romantic love and the importance of loving thy neighbor is Works of Love by Soren Kierkegaard. Also, the passage in Corinthians is about agape love, not love between humans. In my opinion anyway. This is because Christians often read this passage and accept abuse in order to be a good Christians not understanding they are being codependent or "loving too much."

Last edited:
Many people here seems to to talk about love in different ways and opinions.
I have studied the Word and found that true love is the most important thing for me to learn.
Yes learn. Because I do not think that I really have come to understand what it really is.

I understand that there are different kinds of love.
The God kind of love (Agape) is a very different kind of love than the human kind of love!

Not that all human love is only bad but it is a selfish kind of love.
The God kind of love is unselfish.

Interested to hearing what fellow believers view this personally, and also and more importantly your Biblical studies and research on the subject.

The most important subject ever! ?❤
Sincerely -Michael-

Amen. I love what Tessa wrote. It’s so true.

I will share some things that others may not care to share.

Love has as it’s foundation in; Obedience

“If you love Me, keep My commandments. John 14:15

They way we love God, is to obey His command to love our neighbor.

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also. 1 John 4:20:21

• he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

again

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

His Commandments are not burdensome.

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:14

Words of Christ in red —

“Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ Matthew 25:37-40

• And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.

JLB

Hi Link
1 Corinthians 13
4. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up.
5. Does not behave rudely, does not seek it's own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
That is what love is, its the kind of love God has and executes.

Hi Link
1 Corinthians 13

This is great chapter I know, and also John first letter.
I just wanted to emphasize the importance of the subject. And also to make the distinction between Agape and logos..
Thanks Tessa! Always great!
But God deserve all the honour. Right? ???

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back