Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Marriage Advice please

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

LoraLoves

I have been married for 10 years. Five years ago I learned that my husband had an affair that produced a child. He claims that it was a one time drunken experience that he deeply regrets. The woman was an old fling he knew who, up until that night according to him, hadn't gotten physical with post our marriage. After separating for six months and prayer, I decided to stay in the marriage. Also, we have two kids. I was completely prepared to divorce him but after prayer, I felt as though God told me to wait. So, I did. Since finding out, my husband has done everything he could to show remorse and renew our marriage. However, I still struggle with staying in the marriage. I pray asking God for direction but now I feel lost.

About two years ago, we purchased a house. Again, I didn't move forward until I prayed and believed that God told me it was the right thing to do. However, I'm starting to feel like that was the wrong decision. Like, maybe I didn't hear God right, and now that makes me question if I ever heard God right. I ask God for clarification but the only word from God I receive is to continue to seek out His presence. That's hard to do when I feel myself falling apart. Five years and I don't know how to reconcile my husband's betrayal.

Also, I feel angry with God. And then I get angry with myself. Like, did I really hear God tell me to wait? Did God tell me to buy a house with my spouse? Because, it would've been so much easier to leave my husband when I first found out. Now, after purchasing a house, my finances aren't good enough to initiate a divorce yet. I know the enemy is screwing with my thoughts as well but I can't push through to find a clear word from God that brings clarity to my situation. I love my husband but I don’t know if I can get past what he did and I don't hear God telling me how to move forward. I feel trapped in my head. I feel like I'm spiraling.

Honestly, I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for. I guess I'm just reaching a place where I don't know how much I can take without completely losing myself. I guess all I can say is pray for me.

First, always focus on God's will for you. Pray for it constantly.

Second, any doubt you may be feeling is not coming from God, but from Satan.

Third, has your husband asked for your and God's forgiveness for his transgression? If so, you should move on. The reason is, when you ask God for forgiveness He is faithful to forgive you so you must do the same.

Lastly, are you a member of a Bible-believing church? If so, you should approach your pastor and/or an elder you trust and seek their counsel.

I have been married for 10 years. Five years ago I learned that my husband had an affair that produced a child. He claims that it was a one time drunken experience that he deeply regrets. The woman was an old fling he knew who, up until that night according to him, hadn't gotten physical with post our marriage. After separating for six months and prayer, I decided to stay in the marriage. Also, we have two kids. I was completely prepared to divorce him but after prayer, I felt as though God told me to wait. So, I did. Since finding out, my husband has done everything he could to show remorse and renew our marriage. However, I still struggle with staying in the marriage. I pray asking God for direction but now I feel lost.

About two years ago, we purchased a house. Again, I didn't move forward until I prayed and believed that God told me it was the right thing to do. However, I'm starting to feel like that was the wrong decision. Like, maybe I didn't hear God right, and now that makes me question if I ever heard God right. I ask God for clarification but the only word from God I receive is to continue to seek out His presence. That's hard to do when I feel myself falling apart. Five years and I don't know how to reconcile my husband's betrayal.

Also, I feel angry with God. And then I get angry with myself. Like, did I really hear God tell me to wait? Did God tell me to buy a house with my spouse? Because, it would've been so much easier to leave my husband when I first found out. Now, after purchasing a house, my finances aren't good enough to initiate a divorce yet. I know the enemy is screwing with my thoughts as well but I can't push through to find a clear word from God that brings clarity to my situation. I love my husband but I don’t know if I can get past what he did and I don't hear God telling me how to move forward. I feel trapped in my head. I feel like I'm spiraling.

Honestly, I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for. I guess I'm just reaching a place where I don't know how much I can take without completely losing myself. I guess all I can say is pray for me.
Firstly, the idea that God speaks through feelings is shakey at best. Conscience should be based on what God says (knowledge of scripture), not on whimsical feelings. Jer. 17:6 says "The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?" I recommend this book which teaches to make decisions based on wisdom: https://www.amazon.com/Decision-Mak...238867&sprefix=decision+making,aps,130&sr=8-1

Then, a healthy relationship requires trust. If you have forgiven your husband of his indiscretion, you should try to build back the trust you had before. You need to be assured that he won't do it again (beyond his just saying so). But trust has to be established and not too long, because distrust can wear him out and weaken his commitment to you. I would say try to get him into a sound Christian counselling with yourself to work through the issue.
🙏

Hello sister. I'm not judging anyone.

Did he repent sins to God?
Did he Sincerely ask for your forgiveness??

He sounds like toxic person.
Mark chapter 9:43. If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed, than when you have two hands , you would go to Ghenna.

If someone is or something, is causing you to sin. Cut it out of your life. You don't want to be par takers of sin with a habitual sinner.
Habitual sinners are going to sheol, called hell. It's holding place for the spirtualty dead or wicked until judgement day.
Adultery is definitely grounds for divorce.
1 Corinthians 7:14. You can divorce a outsiders.
1 Corinthians chapter 5:11. We are not to be partners with Christian who have committed adultery.
Wont repent.
Won't Sincerely ask victim for forgiveness.
Get away from toxic people.

All sins are forgivable by Repentance. Even divorce.
Just repent and be forgiven by Jesus.

I lived with narcissist. In 2018, Moved away from toxic environment. It was emotional and psychological abuse.

My advice. I would move away, and don't look back.

I hope this helps you.
Peace.

This reminds me of the former president's divorce, which is very similar to your situation. He and his first wife Ivana had three children - Don. Jr., Ivanka and Eric. He had an affair with his mistress, who later found out that she was pregnant with his daughter Tiffany. Ivana caught wind of this and she confronted with him, and they ended up in divorce, and this permanently tainted his reputation long before he became president. I'm sorry to hear this heartbreaking story of your husband's adultery, and I'm glad that you didn't make the same decision.

Jesus taught that fornication is the only ground for divorce, that doesn't just mean physical act with another woman, but emotional and spiritual idolatry. So, if all your husband had was a one night stand with his old fling, and he was genuinely showing signs of remorse as you said, maybe praying with you, taking counseling sessions with you, making up for you, willing to fix his relationship with you and rebuilding trust, and you can feel that the emotional and spiritual bond with him is still there, then don't be trapped in this quagmire any longer, forgive and move on, your marriage is worth saving.

However, you mentioned you have two kids, that might be anther factor in the equation. Do they know about this, and how they feel? You have to take them into account and predict how they may react. So you need to handle it wisely and weigh your options - tell them the whole truth about the affair with your husband in their presence; tell them a half truth by leaving out the part of the bastard child; or keep them in the dark completely as though nothing had happened. The last one is the least risky, but if they find out one day that their father cheated and they have a half sibling, and you've been keeping it a secret from them, they'd be devastated, and they'd probably go seek that child anyway, which would inevitable bring that woman back into the picture, all the hurtful memories you think you've buried six feet under would resurface to the ground and haunt you. This is just my advice, you should ask a friend, your pastor or a marriage counsellor.

Last edited:
However, I still struggle with staying in the marriage. I pray asking God for direction but now I feel lost
The best advice I can give you is to sit down with your husband and to honestly talk about your feelings.
You have to face a brutal fact. If he has repentant of his sin you have to forgive him.
Luke 17 :3.

Be prepared to face his justified anger at your unwillingness to forgive him.
Which means you to will have to repent.

This is not pleasant to write or read, but please do sit down and talk with your husband.

One way, God answers prayers is by his word in the Holy Scriptures. You might find that God answers all your prayers already in the Bible?

This may help take away any doubts that plague everybody!

Jesus says forgive others just like God forgives us. Ephesians 4:32

Love. 1 Corinthians 13:7

My words are not what is meaningful, Jesus words could bring much comfort and direction to us all. if we search the Bible we will find many words of advice on extending love in any situation and forgiveness.

Back