Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Medicine In The Bible

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Lewis

[SIZE=+2]MEDICINE[/SIZE]

med'-i-sin, med'-i-s'-n (gehah, teruphah, rephu'ah): These words are used in the sense of a remedy or remedies for disease. In Prov 17:22 the King James Version, a merry heart is said to do good "like a medicine." There is an alternative reading in the King James Version margin, "to a medicine," the Revised Version (British and American) "is a good medicine"; the Revised Version margin gives another rendering, "causeth good healing," which is the form that occurs in the Septuagint and which was adopted by Kimchi and others. Some of the Targums, substituting a waw for the first h in gehah, read here "doeth good to the body," thus making this clause antithetic to the latter half of the verse. In any case the meaning is that a cheerful disposition is a powerful remedial agent.
In the figurative account of the evil case of Judah and Israel because of their backsliding (Jer 30:13), the prophet says they have had no rephu'ah, or "healing medicines." Later on (Jer 46:11), when pronouncing the futility of the contest of Neco against Nebuchadrezzar, Jeremiah compares Egypt to an incurably sick woman going up to Gilead to take balm as a medicine, without any benefit. In Ezekiel's vision of the trees of life, the leaves are said (the King James Version) to be for medicine, the Revised Version (British and American) reads "healing," thereby assimilating the language to that in Rev 22:2, "leaves of the tree .... for the healing of the nations" (compare Ezek 47:12).
Very few specific remedies are mentioned in the Bible. "Balm of Gilead" is said to be an anodyne (Jer 8:22; compare 51:8). The love-fruits, "mandrakes" (Gen 30:14) and "caperberry" (Eccl 12:5 margin), myrrh, anise, rue, cummin, the "oil and wine" of the Good Samaritan, soap and sodic carbonate ("natron," called by mistake "nitre") as cleansers, and Hezekiah's "fig poultice" nearly exhaust the catalogue. In the Apocrypha we have the heart, liver and gall of Tobit's fish (Tobit 6:7). In the Egyptian pharmacopoeia are the names of many plants which cannot be identified, but most of the remedies used by them were dietetic, such as honey, milk, meal, oil, vinegar, wine. The Babylonian medicines, as far as they can be identified, are similar. In the Mishna we have references to wormwood, poppy, hemlock, aconite and other drugs. The apothecary mentioned in the King James Version (Ex 30:25, etc.) was a maker of perfumes, not of medicines. Among the fellahin many common plants are used as folk-remedies, but they put most confidence in amulets or charms, which are worn by most Palestinian peasants to ward off or to heal diseases.
Alexander Macalister
MEDICINE in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE (Bible History Online)

I knew folks who would say going to the doctor was lack of faith etc. Being a kid i just quietly wondered why no place in Scripture did Jesus tell Luke to quit his job.

From what I gather medicine, in our modern sense of the word, didn't really come into existence until the 18th century. Before this most medicine was really what we know as herbalism, which is essentially the use of natural plants to aid in healing an ailment. So our view on medicine would not be shown in the Bible because they didn't have these various compounds we take today. They had plants and ointments, but that was about it.

We are called to take care of these vessels (our bodies) God has graciously given us and to me that is all that I need to hear to be 100% fine with popping some Claritin in the morning (so I don't gouge my eyes out by noon) and some steroid everytime the doctor tells me I need it (I'm allergic to the -cilin family, so I always take steroid therapy when I am sick).

I read somewhere that most of the improvement in overall longevity hasn't been caused by medical intervention. Improved sanitation and basic medicine--like vaccinations and antibiotics--have improved things considerably, but beyond that medicine hasn't done a whole lot to make us healthier or happier, although it does take a huge cut out of everybody's $$$.

If I find that website I'll post it.

I also find medicine basically useless. Now don't get me wrong. They discovered some wonderful preventions and cures. But you don't hear much about that. Instead, 70% of medicine today (as I remember reading on the Internet) is "preventative" and "numbers" stuff broadcasted in the news and shoved down our throats that means absolutely nothing, such as lowering your cholesterol, lowering your blood pressure, lowering your blood sugar and other useless treatments that will not extend life whatsoever nor make one healthier even if one suffered a heart attack, or similar. It became a VERY POLITICAL and money-making grab.

Back