Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Miami Condo Collapse Update

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hi Riven

Not sure how 'shocking' these revelations are. I know it's long been said that there were several defects in 'how' the building was originally constructed. From what I understand, it was the new pool and deck around it that began the collapse. However, it's now a fairly old news item and so I haven't been keeping up with new 'revelations'.

Sadly, it does happen that buildings get built and someone cheated or didn't know what they were doing, and sometimes major collapse is the result. Fortunately, here in the states, it's a rare enough occurrence that we usually, after careful breakdown of what happened, just make changes to building practices and continue on.

People die every day. In fact, even in Jesus' day he made reference to a tower that collapsed and many had died. 50,000 a year die on our highways. Another 50,000 die from the use of firearms. I really don't expect that a hundred people dying in some collapsed building as being anything that we're going to do much about. Beyond just learning from the issue and moving on.

However, most of the problems that have been pointed out in the Champlain towers building errors, are issues that have already been addressed and they just weren't followed in building, and past renovations to, the towers.

God bless,
Ted

If it's intentional or negligent who should be held accountable?
Hi jasonc

Seeing as how it was built in 1981, although I think the pool deck work may have been later, I'm not sure that it's necessary to hold anyone liable, other than for monetary damages to the families of those who perished. That's going to be the insurance company and the building condominium association. Over 40 years, the actual people that may have made the decisions to build the building as they did are likely nowhere around.

But I think that monetary damages are probably going to come mostly from an insurance pool.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Riven

Not sure how 'shocking' these revelations are. I know it's long been said that there were several defects in 'how' the building was originally constructed. From what I understand, it was the new pool and deck around it that began the collapse. However, it's now a fairly old news item and so I haven't been keeping up with new 'revelations'.

Sadly, it does happen that buildings get built and someone cheated or didn't know what they were doing, and sometimes major collapse is the result. Fortunately, here in the states, it's a rare enough occurrence that we usually, after careful breakdown of what happened, just make changes to building practices and continue on.

People die every day. In fact, even in Jesus' day he made reference to a tower that collapsed and many had died. 50,000 a year die on our highways. Another 50,000 die from the use of firearms. I really don't expect that a hundred people dying in some collapsed building as being anything that we're going to do much about. Beyond just learning from the issue and moving on.

However, most of the problems that have been pointed out in the Champlain towers building errors, are issues that have already been addressed and they just weren't followed in building, and past renovations to, the towers.

God bless,
Ted
The thing is, it stood for 40 years. You'd figure that it would have collapsed a long time ago if the building had an insufficient amount of rebar.

The thing is, it stood for 40 years. You'd figure that it would have collapsed a long time ago if the building had an insufficient amount of rebar.
I'm curious. Are you an engineer? Things stand up for a while all the time that are built wrong or set on a bad foundation. I think the Leaning Tower of Pisa would be evidence #1. How long has that building stood without falling? Yet it's been surveyed and proven that it was not built on a firm foundation. As far as rebar, insufficient is not the same as non-existent. In this case, I'm not sure that there wasn't enough rebar, but I did hear that much of it was corroded from not being properly sealed in the concrete and water intrusion then weakened it.

I could be wrong. Are you an engineer? Because honestly, someone who makes some blanket statement that a building that stood for 40 years should have collapsed long ago, is based on lack of knowledge of the subject and properties of construction materials that they have no idea what those things are or how exactly they work.

Good try though.

Most structural engineers will tell you that faulty or weakened materials used in the construction of a building can go unnoticed for years. If you are one, you likely know that.

God bless,
Ted

I'm curious. Are you an engineer? Things stand up for a while all the time that are built wrong or set on a bad foundation. I think the Leaning Tower of Pisa would be evidence #1. How long has that building stood without falling? Yet it's been surveyed and proven that it was not built on a firm foundation. As far as rebar, insufficient is not the same as non-existent. In this case, I'm not sure that there wasn't enough rebar, but I did hear that much of it was corroded from not being properly sealed in the concrete and water intrusion then weakened it.

I could be wrong. Are you an engineer? Because honestly, someone who makes some blanket statement that a building that stood for 40 years should have collapsed long ago, is based on lack of knowledge of the subject and properties of construction materials that they have no idea what those things are or how exactly they work.

Good try though.

Most structural engineers will tell you that faulty or weakened materials used in the construction of a building can go unnoticed for years. If you are one, you likely know that.

God bless,
Ted
gordon-ramsay-master-chef.gif

Back