Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] more prayers for Verna, please

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
OK. My older, wiser, Pentecostal friend, Verna, is having some health issues. She's in her early 70s. She's blessed because she has some kind of super insurance (on top of Medicare), so usually she has $0 bills from docs and even from the pharmacy, for most meds. When her now deceased husband had cancer, they were able to get good treatment w/ fairly minimal expense. I mean, cancer is still terrible, but...at least they didn't go bankrupt, right?

Right. Well, Verna's got some health issues, she's in and out of doc's offices. A lot of this seems to be related somehow to this infusion she got for osteoporosis prevention. I don't really know anything about those meds, except most of the meds are daily, weekly, or monthly oral meds, and this was a once yearly infusion. Messed Verna up big time.

So...yeah...please pray for Verna' health and you may also wanna pray that other people who get this new infusion don't suffer, too. Kinda scary. Also, there's some family tension. I get the sense that her kids and some other family members want her to give up her (rather nice) house in a good subdivision and move into a condo or one of those apt. buildings for older people. I don't know what to think, honestly. She's elderly, widowed, and female...its worrisome, sometimes. Like, her AC went out and it sounds like the dudes who worked on it ripped her off. Stuff like that. When I pray, I've been praying that God will keep her healthy and of sound mind and out of a nursing home (she's terrified of those) until He's ready to take her home.

Plus, her situation got me to thinking about it...maybe this is one reason why God put us in each other's lives. People 'round here want me out of society (I've dodged both commitment and jail time thanks only to Christ and my people...dodging jail cost $$$, too). Verna's an elderly female, so even though she's of sound mind and led a productive, godly life, society in general, and her kids, are kinda like...well, its time to go somewhere, outside of mainstream society. See what I'm saying? I'm economically un-productive...I live mostly off disability, and then off my newly affluent parents, so...I have to justify my existence, if that makes sense. People still talk about "putting him away somewhere," and its ridiculous. Verna's retired and widowed and female, so..its like in The Bible, you know, how widows were mentioned in both OT and NT as a group of people in need of protection and assistance. We're both vulnerable members of society, despite all the so-called "progress" our society has made. I mean...progress...right. Older people tend to be institutionalized in nursing homes, mentally ill people often end up homeless, in jail, in prison, maybe in group homes, in more progressive areas. Blah. "Nothing changes under the sun."

So...yeah. Please pray for Verna.

I sure will CE. We're to love all the brethren, but with your testimony of her it seems I personally know her. Thanks for keeping us apprised of her situation, and God will not fail her. Regardless the effects of our treatments, our Father is in control of our healing, and does those things always that are for our good.

Verna remains in my prayers, Christ_empowered .

One possible reason Verna's adult children might wish for her to move into a condo: the house may be too much for her to handle. Home ownership can be rather vigorous at times even for those younger & sturdier. I'm not saying this is the case for Verna; I simply don't know. Yet it is a possibility.

And yes, there are some disreputable repair people who take advantage of women and those of the older generations.

Verna has the favor of our Lord; He will guide her way.

Verna's taught me how to be a friend. Before I got saved, I didn't really have friends. I was obviously queer, so I was surrounded by girls who pitied me and sometimes had those weird crushes girls/young women get on gay dudes. Dudes mostly couldn't stand me, although I had a couple male friends...who were bad influences.

Verna came up and talked to me while I was out on a little road trip for Teen challenge, sharing my testimony 5 years ago at her church. She wrote her address in my paperback, Max Lucado Bible and encouraged me to write to her when I completed Teen Challenge and got out on my own. So, I did...after I "graduated" (that's what they call successful completion of Teen Challenge), I wrote to her. We've stayed in touch ever since.

But anyway...yeah, never had real friends before Verna. Socially inept, immature, pitied, hated, sometimes both at the same time...no real friends to speak of. Talking to Verna frequently has taught me how to care about people. listen to them and empathize, and also how to share, what info to share, all that. She's been a Born Again Christian since childhood. I guess her family was one of the early families in on the Pentecostal movement...early 70s and raised Pentecostal. Her faith increasingly inspires me, and I find her to be wiser than many of the (often over paid) "experts" I've had the misfortune of dealing with in the past.

Her husband didn't much care for me at first. Men in general didn't, until fairly recently. Anyway...his cancer started getting worse after I got saved, and we had a couple good conversations before he took a turn for the (much) worse and passed on. Part of God's work in my life is changing me so men don't automatically "have a problem" with me. Anyway...

...yeah. I feel like, since I got saved 2 years ago, I started growing up and becoming real. I used to think that I was nacissistic, just like the shrinks said, but now...I think I just wasn't real, at all. Lacking in maturity, substance, too disordered, etc. God's been working in my life on all that, and Verna's been a big part of it.

So, yeah...do pray for her, please. I think about her sometimes, and I think...what on earth is this south georgia, pentecostal widow doing talking to me? I mean, it seems so random...the solidly born again, older southern lady and the former zombie turned Christian, talking, often daily...

...she's a good friend. I know everybody dies and that "gettin old ain't for wimps," but...I pray she gets+stays healthy until its her time to leave this earth.

Father, we thank You for Your daughter Verna. We thank You that You take good care of her, and all that belongs to her. We pray ps 91 over Verna, and a hedge of protection from all who would want to take advantage of her. We know that she is Your sheep and she knows Your voice, so we thank You for leading her and guiding her to whom You would have to take care of her repairs if she needs them. Thank You Father for You Word that is within Verna, and thank You that they are life and medicine to her whole body. We thank You for leading her to the scriptures that will keep her in good health. Thank You Father for giving her and her children wisdom regarding where she should live. You know if she needs to go to a senior living home, or maybe even have someone come and live with her, so that she can stay where she is. Thank You for leading her into an abundant life fulo of Your Grace and favor! We give You all of the glory and praise! In Jesus Name i Pray, Amen

Our Lord has a marvelous way of putting special people we need in our lives, Christ_empowered ! In your case, it was Verna. In my case, it was a lovely and very strong Christian woman named Yvette. It was our Lord who arranged matters so I was able to meet Yvette and get to know her, just as He did for you with Verna.

Verna has been a shining example for you. She is the special blessing our Lord has arranged for you. Continue to lift her in prayers, as I continue to do.

Verna's taught me how to be a friend. Before I got saved, I didn't really have friends. I was obviously queer, so I was surrounded by girls who pitied me and sometimes had those weird crushes girls/young women get on gay dudes. Dudes mostly couldn't stand me, although I had a couple male friends...who were bad influences.

Verna came up and talked to me while I was out on a little road trip for Teen challenge, sharing my testimony 5 years ago at her church. She wrote her address in my paperback, Max Lucado Bible and encouraged me to write to her when I completed Teen Challenge and got out on my own. So, I did...after I "graduated" (that's what they call successful completion of Teen Challenge), I wrote to her. We've stayed in touch ever since.

But anyway...yeah, never had real friends before Verna. Socially inept, immature, pitied, hated, sometimes both at the same time...no real friends to speak of. Talking to Verna frequently has taught me how to care about people. listen to them and empathize, and also how to share, what info to share, all that. She's been a Born Again Christian since childhood. I guess her family was one of the early families in on the Pentecostal movement...early 70s and raised Pentecostal. Her faith increasingly inspires me, and I find her to be wiser than many of the (often over paid) "experts" I've had the misfortune of dealing with in the past.

Her husband didn't much care for me at first. Men in general didn't, until fairly recently. Anyway...his cancer started getting worse after I got saved, and we had a couple good conversations before he took a turn for the (much) worse and passed on. Part of God's work in my life is changing me so men don't automatically "have a problem" with me. Anyway...

...yeah. I feel like, since I got saved 2 years ago, I started growing up and becoming real. I used to think that I was nacissistic, just like the shrinks said, but now...I think I just wasn't real, at all. Lacking in maturity, substance, too disordered, etc. God's been working in my life on all that, and Verna's been a big part of it.

So, yeah...do pray for her, please. I think about her sometimes, and I think...what on earth is this south georgia, pentecostal widow doing talking to me? I mean, it seems so random...the solidly born again, older southern lady and the former zombie turned Christian, talking, often daily...

...she's a good friend. I know everybody dies and that "gettin old ain't for wimps," but...I pray she gets+stays healthy until its her time to leave this earth.

God knew exactly who would be the most powerful example of Him, in your life, and so a divine appointment was created just for you! He knew who you would feel comfortable with to talk to and develop the Love that He placed inside of you that you didn't know how to bring out. And who could teach you a few things! That's how much God loves You!!!
Many blessings of abundant joy and peace to you and her!

Good testimony. I think that above all things I desire for those I love to be comforted in the time of their home-going. We often pray for healing, and at that moment we'll be healed as never before in the very presence of our Living LORD with no more pain, no more woe, and eternity to be free from the earthly toil only Christ could deliver us from. Verna's husband there to greet her, her blessed parents and others, and I'm sure tears of great gladness may ensue, but can you just imagine our friend there in the midst of the throne singing Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. Rev 4:8.
Thank You Father in Jesus' name. Amen. :clap

Lord, please bless our dear sister Verna. May she be loved and cared for in her old age, and may her children grow to a new and deeper relationship with Jesus, that they may be given wisdom in dealing with any issues Verna may have. May Christ Empowered be a good friend to her , and be given the insight to see her needs and the ways he can be helpful to her.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back