Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Mormon's "Word of Wisdom"

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
J

jmay

I've wondered how the Mormons had a health code called the "Word Of Wisdom", in about 1835, that set out instructions that Tobacco, Coffee, and Alchohol were bad for the body, when the generally accepted idea of the day was that they were beneficial to health in many instances. Not until the second half of the 20th century was there scientific evidence that showed the harmfulness of these substances. Was Joseph Smith some kind of Physician that was way ahead of his time?

jmay said:
I've wondered how the Mormons had a health code called the "Word Of Wisdom", in about 1835, that set out instructions that Tobacco, Coffee, and Alchohol were bad for the body, when the generally accepted idea of the day was that they were beneficial to health in many instances. Not until the second half of the 20th century was there scientific evidence that showed the harmfulness of these substances. Was Joseph Smith some kind of Physician that was way ahead of his time?
No he wasn't. Today, you will find many medical studies showing the benefits of coffee and certain wine, in moderation of course.

Tobacco? LOL, the benefits are... :o there are none.

Welcome to the forums jmay! :biggrin

Was Joseph Smith some kind of Physician that was way ahead of his time?

No. Actually, science has proved that in moderation, certain types of alcoholic beverages are very beneficial for the body. I would say this proves Joseph Smith wrong. I'm also pretty sure that in moderation coffee is relatively harmless as well, but I'd have to look it up.

Free said:
Welcome to the forums jmay! :biggrin

No. Actually, science has proved that in moderation, certain types of alcoholic beverages are very beneficial for the body. I would say this proves Joseph Smith wrong. I'm also pretty sure that in moderation coffee is relatively harmless as well, but I'd have to look it up.
Here you are Free!

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... +of+coffee

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ts+of+wine

:-D

King James I of England (KJV King James) banned the smoking of tobacco in the royal court. Did that make him a prophet?

I have heard that smoking PURE tobacco w/out any of todays additives IN MODERATION may have some benefits.
I don't know if I could verify this or prove this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true

jmay said:
I've wondered how the Mormons had a health code called the "Word Of Wisdom", in about 1835, that set out instructions that Tobacco, Coffee, and Alchohol were bad for the body,

no, he was a cult leader founding a new religion & cult-leaders have to set rules, to divide the followers from the non-, otherwise how would you tell the difference?

he also said that the ancestors of early Americans were Egyptian-speaking jews, does that make him an archaeologist?

Apparently he was an archeologist--didn't he dig up some golden plates written in an unknown language that he was ab;e to interpret by wearing some magic glasses?

Well, at least, if we are to believe Joseph Smith!

jmay said:

Thanks to all the others for your insight. I am LDS and would like to also comment. The fact is that many of us do not deal well in moderation. The word of wisdom is a revelation in response to a prayer Joseph Smith had in which he asked specifically about tobacco because he didn't think it was very Godly to be spitting tobacco spit in church and he was given revelation on the things mentioned and also foods which should be eaten and eaten in moderation.

evanman said:
Apparently he was an archeologist--didn't he dig up some golden plates written in an unknown language that he was ab;e to interpret by wearing some magic glasses?

Well, at least, if we are to believe Joseph Smith!

roflmbo.gif

Don't they sell those magic glasses on ebay?

Cross_2002-08_web_1_0001.jpg

As we can see from this image, the Temple practices are linked to Occultic rituals.

evanman said:
As we can see from this image, the Temple practices are linked to Occultic rituals.

Really? Have you been inside the temple and been through the ordinances?

God's Army,

Have you ever looked into the background of Joseph Smith in terms of what was going on spiritually in the era and area in which he grew up?

Free said:
God's Army,

Have you ever looked into the background of Joseph Smith in terms of what was going on spiritually in the era and area in which he grew up?

Free,

I know enough and I know that Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God. I know that he served his Father in a capacity he could not have envisioned on his own. He served his father til death and beyond. But I'm sure you will enlighten us all with some nice little stories and factoids from exmormon.org.

evanman,

Those stars appeared on the origional temple in Nauvoo, which the Saints were driven away from, and later it was destroyed. The same symbols were used in an effort to regenerate that beautiful site. Those same type symbols can be found on many Catholic cathedrals across the world. Maybe that is just how they were drawn, sculpted, depicted at that time.

eastdoor.jpeg

Pentagram on the Salt lake City temple.

sunstonevol10no5may1985_p41.gif

Masonic symbols on Mormon Buildings.

m1-sign.jpg

Temple Rituals

GOD'S ARMY,

I know enough and I know that Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God. I know that he served his Father in a capacity he could not have envisioned on his own. He served his father til death and beyond. But I'm sure you will enlighten us all with some nice little stories and factoids from exmormon.org.

Nothing of the sort (I don't know if I have ever visited that site). I am just reading a fascinating book that happens to mention Joseph Smith because of what was going on around him and what likely influenced him. Even if you reject it, it is something that must be taken into consideration.

Back