Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Near Death Experiences

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Saw a story a couple of years ago or so . I think the guy was/is a dentist who had a near death experience. He found himself on something like a giant butterfly with some woman who seemed to know him. They were talking and then she looked at him and said "don't worry...you can't sin here" I think I remember him saying how relieved he was to hear that. After he recovered he told his mother of the woman. He wanted to know how she knew him. I think the woman told him she was his sister. The mother was astonished at that and told him she had miscarried a baby girl long ago.

There are numerous such reports, although I am extremely experienced in this field and don't know of a credible report where someone purported to meet a fetus that had been aborted. I'm not saying there aren't any, but I know of none.

The single most compelling thing about NDEs is that the vast majority of people encountered are, in fact, dead. Experiencers are vastly more likely to encounter a second cousin they barely knew, who died 35 years ago, than a close relative or friend who is still living. Often those who are encountered are not those we might "expect" to be encountered in terms of closeness of the relationship while living. Often, as in the one you describe, the experiencer does not even know or recognize the dead person until after the experience is over, whereupon the dead person is identified through photographs or by other living family members. Sometimes the experiencer did not know the dead person who is encountered was even dead. This is the single most compelling argument for NDEs being "real." None of the mundane explanations can account for why those who are encountered are almost invariably dead. The mundane explanations always carefully avoid this aspect of the phenomenon.

The same is true of apparitions. Apparitions of the living are certainly not unknown, but the vast majority of them are people who are dead.

The key word in my first sentence above is "credible." There are many obviously agenda-driven NDE accounts, including explicitly Christian ones. I pay absolutely zero attention to the "content" of NDEs. The more elaborate and content-laden an NDE is ("My 90 Minute Tour of Heaven!" and that sort of thing) the less likely it is to be of any value at all. I used to be one of the main posters on the defunct forum of the International Association for Near Death Studies, and my principal nemesis was a woman who had unquestionably had two real NDEs but was, surprisingly, a raging atheist who detested Christians more than she did cockroaches.

As for the notion popular those who know nothing about the phenomena that NDEs and apparitions are likely demonic, this is simply uninformed paranoia. If you actively seek out contact with the dead or with the "spirit world" in general - well, yes, you may indeed open doors you will wish you hadn't opened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back