Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Need help understanding Bible passage.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
K

KevJohn7

Matthew 10:35-36 (New King James Version)

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’

Can anyone clear this up for me?

When someone gets saved, often that person's family disagrees with them and their decision. Perhaps they are of another religion, or see religion as a "brain washing". To these new Christians, this may very well happen (remember that Pagan religions were vibrant during the time of that writing). What is not normally talked about, regarding this passage, is that when the person gets saved, it is more important than the peace in his/her family.

Let me add this:

Christ didn't literally mean that this WAS HIS PURPOSE. What He IS stating is that to pick up where He left off WILL make one an ENEMY of this World. Whether it be your own family or ANY AND EVERYONE else that 'lives for the world'. The the things that He came and offered are CONTRARY to that which The World BELIEVES IN. So, KNOWING what would come to be He made the statement that you refer to.

MEC

Orion is right no target here. In the context of the passage, Christ was sending out the disciples. He wasn't suggesting he came to be the first Jerry Springer, but he was showing just how devisive the gospel would be. Remember that Jesus' own family rejected him at times.

Also notice that not much has changed. Look at some of the Islamic nations. It crushes an Islamic family when they have a child who converts to Christianity, not just because of the disagreements, but they are legally obligated to have their child killed.(So much for the religion of peace. :-? )

Jesus directly follows that passage by reminding the Disciples that living for him required Daily self sacrifice. Even at the cost of family, the gospel and beleif in Christ owns more value.

I constantly butt heads with my wife when im feeling strong in the Holy Spirit.Its frustrating but i can remember i used to think born again christians were brainwashed and crazy.How humbled am i now i know the truth. :oops:

Blazin Bones said:
Also notice that not much has changed. Look at some of the Islamic nations. It crushes an Islamic family when they have a child who converts to Christianity, not just because of the disagreements, but they are legally obligated to have their child killed.(So much for the religion of peace. :-? )

And this just occurred in Canada over in Ontario the other day. It is still in the news. A 16 year old girl began to "rebel" and chose to stop wearing her ?hijab?..I think. Her father killed her. Her death seems to be attributed to 'neck compressions'. Her 26 year old brother is charged with a cover-up. It seems like he knew what happened but chose not to say anything. Some sort of obstruction charge. I'm not sure how that happened as it seemed like the father called 911 to report his crime. Maybe that was later, I don't know.

How absolutely sad is that?

Back