Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Patristic writers - how Roman Catholic were they?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
G

Gary

How Roman Catholic were the patristic writers?

CatholicXian: I find it noteworthy to look at the examples of the early Christians and what they thought (patristics... fathers of the Church)...

Gary: Your assumption may be that Protestants or the Reformers did NOT look at the faith of the early Christians. That would not be true. The Reformers first look at the Bible and then at what the early Christians believed. That permeated both Luther's and Calvin's work.

What may surprise you is that the RCC often went directly against what the early Christians taught and wrote.

I would be happy to discuss these variations.

CatholicXian: Perhaps another topic would be best. I am familiar with several of the "ECFs", and some of Luther and Calvin.

Gary: I will create a separate thread....

:)

GREGORY THAUMATURGUS (C. 213–C. 270)
Bishop of Neocaesarea in Pontus

Gregory (named Theodore from birth) was a member of a wealthy family. He studied law with his brother Athenodorus in the famous school at Berytus only to become an enthusiastic pupil of the famed theologian Origen from 233 to 238. Gregory’s oration on Origen is a first attempt at Christian biography. In turn, details of Gregory’s life are related in a similar fashion by Gregory of Nyssa. On return home, Gregory and his brother were consecrated bishops by Phaedimus of Amasea.

Tradition states that Gregory ministered in this diocese in Pontus for thirty years. He began his ministry with seventeen Christians and ended it with as many converts. Gregory assisted with his brother at the first synod of Antioch (264), which condemned Paul of Samosata. There are three or four accounts of Thaumaturgus, which in Greek means “miracle-worker.†Gregory of Nyssa’s eulogy is a trustworthy account of his life while his own Panygeric on Origen preserves some detail. St. Basil in the De Spirito Sancto as preserved in Eusebius adds material, and Rufinus’s account of the miracles in his Ecclesiastical History completes the account. These legendary lives, in Greek, Latin, Syriac, and Armenian, preserve details of his life.

The Exposition of Faith given in Nyssa’s biography is a brief Trinitarian affirmation. Gregory prepared a Greek exposition of Ecclesiastes adapted into classical Greek from the Septuagint. His Canonical Epistle answers questions arising from the Gothic invasion of Pontus when Christians pillaged and apostasized.

Source: WHO’S WHO IN CHRISTIAN HISTORY

Editors: J. D. Douglas and Philip W. Comfort

Gregory Thaumaturgus seems to have had no concept of Purgatory

Gregory Thaumaturgus seems to have had no concept of Purgatory. Like Protestants, he refers to two realms of the afterlife, not three, with all "good men" going to Heaven at death:

"And the good man shall depart with rejoicing to his own everlasting habitation; but the vile shall fill all their places with wailing, and neither silver laid up in store, nor proved gold, shall be of use any more. For a mighty stroke shall fall upon all things, even to the pitcher that standeth by the well, and the wheel of the vessel which may chance to have been left in the hollow, when the course of time comes to its end and the ablution-bearing period of a life that is like water has passed away." (A Metaphrase of the Book of Ecclesiastes, 12)

Gregory Thaumaturgus -
Mary=Mediatrix?? Pray to Mary??

Roman Catholicism tells us that we *should* and *must* go through Mary in order to get to Christ:

The popes said:
"With a still more ardent zeal for piety, religion and love, let them continue to venerate, invoke and pray to the most Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, conceived without original sin. Let them fly with utter confidence to this most sweet Mother of mercy and grace in all dangers, difficulties, needs, doubts and fears. Under her guidance, under her patronage, under her kindness and protection, nothing is to be feared; nothing is hopeless. Because, while bearing toward us a truly motherly affection and having in her care the work of our salvation, she is solicitous about the whole human race." (Pope Pius IX, Ineffabilis Deus)

"With equal truth may it be also affirmed that, by the will of God, Mary is the intermediary through whom is distributed unto us this immense treasure of mercies gathered by God, for mercy and truth were created by Jesus Christ, thus as no man goeth to the Father but by the Son, so no man goeth to Christ but by His Mother....How grateful and magnificent a spectacle to see in the cities, and towns, and villages, on land and sea-wherever the Catholic faith has penetrated-many hundreds of thousands of pious people uniting their praises and prayers with one voice and heart at every moment of the day, saluting Mary, invoking Mary, hoping everything through Mary." (Pope Leo XIII, Octobri Mense)

"O Virgin most holy, none abounds in the knowledge of God except through thee; none, O Mother of God, obtains salvation except through thee, none receives a gift from the throne of mercy except through thee." (Pope Leo XIII, Adiutricem Populi)

"Mary is all powerful with her divine Son who grants all graces to mankind through her" (Pope Benedict XV, Fausto Appetente Die)

But Gregory Thaumaturgus refers to Christ as the *only* necessary mediator, repeatedly using the word "alone":

"But let us commit the praises and hymns in honour of the King and Superintendent of all things, the perennial Fount of all blessings, to the hand of Him who, in this matter as in all others, is the Healer of our infirmity, and who alone is able to supply that which is lacking; to the Champion and Saviour of our souls, His first-born Word, the Maker and Ruler of all things, with whom also alone it is possible, both for Himself and for all, whether privately and individually, or publicly and collectively, to send up to the Father uninterrupted and ceaseless thanksgivings. For as He is Himself the Truth, and the Wisdom, and the Power of the Father of the universe, and He is besides in Him, and is truly and entirely made one with Him, it cannot be that, either through forgetfulness or unwisdom, or any manner of infirmity, such as marks one dissociated from Him, He shall either fail in the power to praise Him, or, while having the power, shall willingly neglect (a supposition which it is not lawful, surely, to indulge) to praise the Father. For He alone is able most perfectly to fulfil the whole meed of honour which is proper to Him, inasmuch as the Father of all things has made Him one with Himself, and through Him all but completes the circle of His own being objectively, and honours Him with a power in all respects equal to His own, even as also He is honoured; which position He first and alone of all creatures that exist has had assigned Him, this Only-begotten of the Father, who is in Him, and who is God the Word; while all others of us are able to express our thanksgiving and our piety only if, in return for all the blessings which proceed to us from the Father, we bring our offerings in simple dependence on Him alone, and thus present the meet oblation of thanksgiving to Him who is the Author of all things, acknowledging also that the only way of piety is in this manner to offer our memorials through Him." (The Oration and Panegyric Addressed to Origin, 4)

Mary = Mediatrix? Origen says to pray to Jesus

Roman Catholicism refers to Mary as a mediator between mankind and Christ, one to whom we should commit *all* our petitions to God:

In the CCC said:
"Jesus is Mary's only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save: 'The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formation she co-operates with a mother's love.'...Her role in relation to the Church and to all humanity goes still further. 'In a wholly singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope, and burning charity in the Savior's work of restoring supernatural life to souls. For this reason she is a mother to us in the order of grace.' 'This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation....Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.'...Because she gives us Jesus, her son, Mary is Mother of God and our mother; we can entrust all our cares and petitions to her...And our trust broadens further, already at the present moment, to surrender 'the hour of our death' wholly to her care. May she be there as she was at her son's death on the cross. May she welcome us as our mother at the hour of our passing to lead us to her son, Jesus, in paradise....Like the beloved disciple we welcome Jesus' mother into our homes, for she has become the mother of all the living. We can pray with and to her. The prayer of the Church is sustained by the prayer of Mary and united with it in hope....Because of Mary's singular cooperation with the action of the Holy Spirit, the Church loves to pray in communion with the Virgin Mary, to magnify with her the great things the Lord has done for her, and to entrust supplications and praises to her." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 501, 968-969, 2677, 2679, 2682)
Origen, however, seems to see Jesus as the only mediator of this type. He refers to us committing our prayers to Jesus first, not first to Mary, who then gives them to Jesus:

"Accordingly, we worship with all our power the one God, and His only Son, the Word and the Image of God, by prayers and supplications; and we offer our petitions to the God of the universe through His only-begotten Son. To the Son we first present them, and beseech Him, as 'the propitiation for our sins,' and our High Priest, to offer our desires, and sacrifices, and prayers, to the Most High. Our faith, therefore, is directed to God through His Son, who strengthens it in us" (Against Celsus, 8:13)

Gary_Bee said:
How Roman Catholic were the patristic writers?

CatholicXian: I find it noteworthy to look at the examples of the early Christians and what they thought (patristics... fathers of the Church)...

Gary: Your assumption may be that Protestants or the Reformers did NOT look at the faith of the early Christians. That would not be true. The Reformers first look at the Bible and then at what the early Christians believed. That permeated both Luther's and Calvin's work.

What may surprise you is that the RCC often went directly against what the early Christians taught and wrote.

I would be happy to discuss these variations.

CatholicXian: Perhaps another topic would be best. I am familiar with several of the "ECFs", and some of Luther and Calvin.

Gary: I will create a separate thread....

I don't know why you can't accept the reality that the Catholics have a direct link to Peter (the first pope)_ who received his autority from Jesus himself. Yes the early church fathers had opinions about things and later church fathers may have changed their opinions or disagreed. Just like the N/T is a lot different in its views from the O/T. The N/T and how it's perceived has changed as time went on. This is the evolution of the bible and one has to believe that it is God working through his servants on earth , in the one true church (RCC). As I said you don't have a choice on picking Christianity via the RCC. If it's wrong it's up to God to sort it out at the end. You can't allow ordinary men to pick and choose what they think God wants. You have to have faith that God is working through those in charge.

Augustine on John 6

When Jesus spoke the words of John 6, the eucharist hadn't yet been instituted. He said that He *is* the bread of life, and that people *are* responsible for eating His flesh and drinking His blood, even though there was no eucharist yet. He identified the eating and drinking for us in verse 35, and it isn't participation in a transubstantiated eucharist.

Some of the church fathers, even some who believed in a type of presence of Christ in the eucharist, rejected the Roman Catholic interpretation of John 6. For example:

"If the sentence is one of command, either forbidding a crime or vice, or enjoining an act of prudence or benevolence, it is not figurative. If, however, it seems to enjoin a crime or vice, or to forbid an act of prudence or benevolence, it is figurative. 'Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man,' says Christ, 'and drink His blood, ye have no life in you.' This seems to enjoin a crime or a vice; it is therefore a figure, enjoining that we should have a share in the sufferings of our Lord, and that we should retain a sweet and profitable memory of the fact that His flesh was wounded and crucified for us." - Augustine (On Christian Doctrine, 3:16:24)

:o

Basil on John 6

"'He that eateth me,' He says, 'he also shall live because of me;' for we eat His flesh, and drink His blood, being made through His incarnation and His visible life partakers of His Word and of His Wisdom. For all His mystic sojourn among us He called flesh and blood, and set forth the teaching consisting of practical science, of physics, and of theology, whereby our soul is nourished and is meanwhile trained for the contemplation of actual realities. This is perhaps the intended meaning of what He says." - Basil (Letter 8:4)

:-?

Clement of Alexandria on John 6

"Elsewhere the Lord, in the Gospel according to John, brought this out by symbols, when He said: 'Eat ye my flesh, and drink my blood,' describing distinctly by metaphor the drinkable properties of faith and the promise, by means of which the Church, like a human being consisting of many members, is refreshed and grows, is welded together and compacted of both,--of faith, which is the body, and of hope, which is the soul; as also the Lord of flesh and blood. For in reality the blood of faith is hope, in which faith is held as by a vital principle." - Clement of Alexandria (The Instructor, 1:6)

:wink:

Tertullian on John 6

"He says, it is true, that 'the flesh profiteth nothing;' but then, as in the former case, the meaning must be regulated by the subject which is spoken of. Now, because they thought His discourse was harsh and intolerable, supposing that He had really and literally enjoined on them to eat his flesh, He, with the view of ordering the state of salvation as a spiritual thing, set out with the principle, 'It is the spirit that quickeneth;' and then added, 'The flesh profiteth nothing,'--meaning, of course, to the giving of life. He also goes on to explain what He would have us to understand by spirit: 'The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.' In a like sense He had previously said: 'He that heareth my words, and believeth on Him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but shall pass from death unto life.' Constituting, therefore, His word as the life-giving principle, because that word is spirit and life, He likewise called His flesh by the same appelation; because, too, the Word had become flesh, we ought therefore to desire Him in order that we may have life, and to devour Him with the ear, and to ruminate on Him with the understanding, and to digest Him by faith. Now, just before the passage in hand, He had declared His flesh to be 'the bread which cometh down from heaven,' impressing on His hearers constantly under the figure of necessary food the memory of their forefathers, who had preferred the bread and flesh of Egypt to their divine calling." - Tertullian (On the Ressurection of the Flesh, 37)

:wink:

Again you make many, many posts for me to respond to. And once again, you add new issues, not only are we now discussing Mary as Mediatrix, we are also discussing John 6 and the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Do you always intend to jump around from subject to subject?

First off, however, I see no point in continuing to discuss Mary as Mediatrix if you continue to ignore my posts… what is the point of posting?!? You keep insisting upon Catholicism teaching Mary as a mediator between GOD and MAN, when she is Mediatrix between HER SON and MAN, as I have repeatedly continued to state over and over… and over. Mary still GOES TO JESUS with her intercession. Jesus is the ONE, ONLY mediator between GOD and MANâ€â€Jesus… ALONE. I have not denied this.

(Though, for note, it is interesting of the 6 patristics you chose, 2 of them, Tertullian and Origen were condemned as heretics at one point by the early church, and Gregory Thaumaturgus & Basil are lesser knownâ€â€and I've hardly seen them referenced. Now, Clement of Alexandria and Augustine are more popularized and well-known, I give you thatâ€â€though, we may find that both these seem to contradict themselves….)

Since you ended with Tertullian, I shall begin with him. From the very same work you quote, we get a very different picture regarding John 6…

"Now such remarks have I wished to advance in defence of the flesh, from a general view of the condition of our human nature. Let us now consider its special relation to Christianity, and see how vast a privilege before God has been conferred on this poor and worthless substance. It would suffice to say, indeed, that there is not a soul that can at all procure salvation, except it believe whilst it is in the flesh, so true is it that the flesh is the very condition on which salvation hinges. And since the soul is, in consequence of its salvation, chosen to the service of God, it is the flesh which actually renders it capable of such service. The flesh, indeed, is washed, in order that the soul may be cleansed; the flesh is anointed, that the soul may be consecrated; the flesh is signed (with the cross), that the soul too may be fortified; the flesh is shadowed with the imposition of hands, that the soul also maybe illuminated by the Spirit; the flesh feeds on the body and blood of Christ, that the soul likewise may fatten on its God. They cannot then be separated in their recompense, when they are united in their service. Those sacrifices, moreover, which are acceptable to God-I mean conflicts of the soul, fastings, and abstinences, and the humiliations which are annexed to such duty-it is the flesh which performs again and again to its own especial suffering. Virginity, likewise, and widowhood, and the modest restraint in secret on the marriage-bed, and the one only adoption of it, are fragrant offerings to God paid out of the good services of the flesh. Come, tell me what is your opinion of the flesh, when it has to contend for the name of Christ, dragged out to public view, and exposed to the hatred of all men; when it pines in prisons under the cruellest privation of light, in banishment from the world, amidst squalor, filth, and noisome food, without freedom even in sleep, for it is bound on its very pallet and mangled in its bed of straw; when at length before the public view it is racked by every kind of torture that can be devised, and when finally it is spent beneath its agonies, struggling to render its last turn for Christ by dying for Him-upon His own cross many times, not to say by still more atrocious devices of torment. Most blessed, truly, and most glorious, must be the flesh which can repay its Master Christ so vast a debt, and so completely, that the only obligation remaining due to Him is, that it should cease by death to owe Him more-all the more bound even then in gratitude, because (for ever) set free." (Tertullian, On the Resurrection of the Flesh, ch. 8)

Now, though you did not, I have quoted the entirety of the section (that is, ALL of chapter 8 of the work). You quoted merely part of chapter 37, let's see what ALL of chapter 37 says:

"He says, it is true, that "the flesh profiteth nothing; " but then, as in the former case, the meaning must be regulated by the subject which is spoken of. Now, because they thought His discourse was harsh and intolerable, supposing that He had really and literally enjoined on them to eat his flesh, He, with the view of ordering the state of salvation as a spiritual thing, set out with the principle, "It is the spirit that quickeneth; "and then added, "The flesh profiteth nothing,"-meaning, of course, to the giving of life. He also goes on to explain what He would have us to understand by spirit: "The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." In a like sense He had previously said: "He that heareth my words, and believeth on Him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but shall pass from death unto life." Constituting, therefore, His word as the life-giving principle, because that word is spirit and life, He likewise called His flesh by the same appellation; because, too, the Word had become flesh, we ought therefore to desire Him in order that we may have life, and to devour Him with the ear, and to ruminate on Him with the understanding, and to digest Him by faith. Now, just before (the passage in hand), He had declared His flesh to be "the bread which cometh down from heaven," impressing on (His hearers) constantly under the figure of necessary food the memory of their forefathers, who had preferred the bread and flesh of Egypt to their divine calling. Then, turning His subject to their reflections, because He perceived that they were going to be scattered from Him, He says: "The flesh profiteth nothing." Now what is there to destroy the resurrection of the flesh? As if there might not reasonably enough be something which, although it" profiteth nothing" itself, might yet be capable of being profited by something else. The spirit "profiteth," for it imparts life. The flesh profiteth nothing, for it is subject to death. Therefore He has rather put the two propositions in a way which favours our belief: for by showing what "profits," and what "does not profit," He has likewise thrown light on the object which receives as well as the subject which gives the "profit." Thus, in the present instance, we have the Spirit giving life to the flesh which has been subdued by death; for "the hour," says He, "is coming, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God, and they that hear shall live." Now, what is "the dead" but the flesh? and what is "the voice of God" but the Word? and what is the Word but the Spirit, who shall justly raise the flesh which He had once Himself become, and that too from death, which He Himself suffered, and from the grave, which He Himself once entered? Then again, when He says, "Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear the voice of the Son of God, and shall come forth; they that have done good, to the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation," -none will after such words be able to interpret the dead "that are in the graves" as any other than the bodies of the flesh, because the graves themselves are nothing but the resting-place of corpses: for it is incontestable that even those who partake of "the old man," that is to say, sinful men-in other words, those who are dead through their ignorance of God (whom our heretics, forsooth, foolishly insist on understanding by the word "graves" )-are plainly here spoken of as having to come from their graves for judgment. But how are graves to come forth from graves?" (Tertullian, On the Resurrection of the Flesh, ch. 37)

You see, Gary, you left out much of the workâ€â€Tertullian is speaking of John 6 IN THE CONTEXT OF the resurrection of the body, NOT in the context of the Eucharist, which he has already mentioned in the beginning of the work as I have already pointed out.

A passage of Scripture may have more than one meaning depending on in what sense we are speaking of. The Catholic Church does not deny the spiritual meaning in John 6â€â€she simply places a greater emphasis on the physical, literal meaning of the passage as the Eucharist.

Some contradictions perhaps….
Augustine
"The bread which you see on the altar is, sanctified by the word of God, the body of Christ; that chalice, or rather what is contained in the chalice, is, sanctified by the word of God, the blood of Christ." (Sermons, 227)
"Not all bread, but only that which receives the blessing of Christ, becomes Christ's body." (Sermons, 234, 2)
"Christ is both the priest, offering Himself, and Himself the Victim. He willed that the sacramental sign of this should be the daily sacrifice of the Church." (City of God, 10, 20)
Clement of Alexandria
"’Eat my flesh,’ [Jesus] says, ‘and drink my blood.’ The Lord supplies us with these intimate nutrients, he delivers over his flesh and pours out his blood, and nothing is lacking for the growth of his children" (The Instructor 1:6:43:3 [A.D. 191]).

Origen
"Formerly there was baptism in an obscure way . . . now, however, in full view, there is regeneration in water and in the Holy Spirit. Formerly, in an obscure way, there was manna for food; now, however, in full view, there is the true food, the flesh of the Word of God, as he himself says: ‘My flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink’ [John 6:56]" (Homilies on Numbers 7:2 [A.D. 248]).

Thus, it appears that these fathers contradict themselves… what are we to make of this?

Also, Gary, I'm interested, do you any copies of the writings of the early church fathers... or did you merely find excerpts online and copy & paste?

Patristic writers who contradict the RCC..

CatholicXian said:
Though, for note, it is interesting of the 6 patristics you chose, 2 of them, Tertullian and Origen were condemned as heretics at one point by the early church, and Gregory Thaumaturgus & Basil are lesser knownâ€â€and I've hardly seen them referenced. Now, Clement of Alexandria and Augustine are more popularized and well-known, I give you thatâ€â€though, we may find that both these seem to contradict themselves…
Gary: Oh, I have many more which contradict the teachings of the RCC... I only posted a few.

CatholicXian said:
"Tertullian and Origen were condemned as heretics at one point by the early church..."
Gary: Yes, but their work is still cited in the CCC. Tertullian is cited 17 times and Origen is cited 9 times. That is more than most popes!

CatholicXian said:
"Gregory Thaumaturgus & Basil are lesser knownâ€â€and I've hardly seen them referenced....
Gary: Why would Gregory Thaumaturgus be referenced when he wrote the opposite to what the RCC proclaimed? In the CCC, Basil is cited 7 times!

CatholicXian said:
Clement of Alexandria and Augustine are more popularized and well-known, I give you thatâ€â€though, we may find that both these seem to contradict themselves…
Gary: hmmmm... but the RCC cite them in the CCC. They contradict themselves and they contradict the teachings of the RCC. Very convenient to pick and choose when they AGREE with the RCC!! In the CCC, Clement of Alexandria is only cited twice and Augustine is cited over 90 times! --- should I ignore those CCC paragraphes in which Augustine is cited? (That is more than Thomas Aquinas who is only cited about 60 times.)

So if you want a scorecard, it would look like this:

• Gregory Thaumaturgus - 0
    Clement of Alexandria - 2
    Basil - 7
    Origen - 9
    Tertullian - 17
    Augustine - 90 (approx)

Tertullian rejected transubstantiation:

"Will not your [unbelieving] husband know what it is which you secretly taste before taking any food? and if he knows it to be bread, does he not believe it to be that bread which it is said to be?" (To His Wife, 2:5)

"Now, because they thought His discourse was harsh and intolerable, supposing that He had really and literally enjoined on them to eat his flesh, He, with the view of ordering the state of salvation as a spiritual thing, set out with the principle, 'It is the spirit that quickeneth;' and then added, 'The flesh profiteth nothing,'--meaning, of course, to the giving of life." (On the Ressurection of the Flesh, 37)

"Indeed, up to the present time, he has not disdained the water which the Creator made wherewith he washes his people; nor the oil with which he anoints them; nor that union of honey and milk wherewithal he gives them the nourishment of children; nor the bread by which he represents his own proper body, thus requiring in his very sacraments the 'beggarly elements' of the Creator." (Against Marcion, 1:14)

"Then, having taken the bread and given it to His disciples, He made it His own body, by saying, 'This is my body,' that is, the figure of my body. A figure, however, there could not have been, unless there were first a veritable body. An empty thing, or phantom, is incapable of a figure....In order, however, that you may discover how anciently wine is used as a figure for blood, turn to Isaiah, who asks, 'Who is this that cometh from Edom, from Bosor with garments dyed in red, so glorious in His apparel, in the greatness of his might? Why are thy garments red, and thy raiment as his who cometh from the treading of the full winepress?' The prophetic Spirit contemplates the Lord as if He were already on His way to His passion, clad in His fleshly nature; and as He was to suffer therein, He represents the bleeding condition of His flesh under the metaphor of garments dyed in red, as if reddened in the treading and crushing process of the wine-press, from which the labourers descend reddened with the wine-juice, like men stained in blood. Much more clearly still does the book of Genesis foretell this, when (in the blessing of Judah, out of whose tribe Christ was to come according to the flesh) it even then delineated Christ in the person of that patriarch, saying, 'He washed His garments in wine, and His clothes in the blood of grapes' -in His garments and clothes the prophecy pointed out his flesh, and His blood in the wine. Thus did He now consecrate His blood in wine, who then (by the patriarch) used the figure of wine to describe His blood." (Against Marcion, 4:40)

CatholicXian said:
Also, Gary, I'm interested, do you any copies of the writings of the early church fathers... or did you merely find excerpts online and copy & paste?

Gary: I have several books, including Roman Catholic "approved" ones.

• 1) The Faith of the Early Fathers (3 volumes) by William Jurgens. A source-book of theological and historical passsages from the Christian writings of the pre-Nicene and Nicene eras. (Nihil obstat. Imprimatur etc etc)

2) A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs - a Reference Guide to More than 700 Topics Discussed by the Early Church fathers - David Bercot

3) Early Church Doctrines - J.N.D. Kelly

And I have access to many online sources and electronic sources as well.

I'm also interested.... Do you have any copies of the writings of the early church fathers? What are those?

:) :)

Yep, I also own a few books of the writings of the early christians. Most of them are from the "Ancient Christian Writers" series published by the Newman press or the "Classics of Western Spirituality" series.

Irenaeus of Lyon's "Against the Heresies"/ "The Scandal of the Incarnation"
Origen's "On First Principles"/"Commentary on Song of Songs and Homilies"
Ignatius of Antioch's "Letters"
Augustine's "City of God"/"Confessions"
Clement of Alexandria's "The Instructor"
Gregory of Nyssa's "Life of Moses"
Athanasius' "On the Incarnation"/ "Life of St. Anthony and Letter to Marcellinus"
"The Didache"
... I think I may be forgetting a few

And occasionally I'll browse ccel.org or earlychristianwritings.com for writings I don't own a personal copy of.

I wasn't sure at what date you still consider them "early christians", so I left out some folks that were closer to the Renaissance/middle age (i.e., Anselm, Bernard of Clairvoux, Dante, Francis de Sales, Thomas a Kempis, etc)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back