Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Saved by Grace not of works !

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Wherever you find the word works, in whatever context, it means this:

business, employment, that which any one is occupied

a) that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking

2) any product whatever, any thing accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind

3) an act, deed, thing done: the idea of working is emphasised in opp. to that which is less than work

Ok, however, the context determines which ones are being spoken of. Just like car means a vehicle you drive. However, if I say my car or your car I'm not talking about the same car. The context determines which it is. If I said, all Chevy cars are red, that doesn't mean all Ford cars are read. Car still means the same thing but the context of my statement differentiates between Chevy cars and Ford cars, even though they're all cars.

Do I detect a fellow disciple of his highness, NT Wright? ;)

Hi Drew,

Actually, I'm not real familiar with NT Wright. I have seen a little of his stuff. I plan on looking at more since it seems he and I believe very similarly. The majority of my study comes from the Ante-Nicene period of the church.

Have you looked into his ideas on "the new perspective on Paul"? On second thought I guess you have, looking at the post above.

Faith in or believing on Christ is an act of man, something man does, so its by definition a work ! In scripture faith in Christ or believing in him is described as fleeing to Him for refuge Heb 6:18

18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

Notice Prov 18:10

The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

It speaks of the Name of the Lord ! As in Joel 2:32

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Now notice the word run, very similar to the word flee, now is one saved because they runneth ? If so then that contradicts Rom 9:16

So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

One is not saved by Mercy because they runneth or exert effort. Fleeing to the city of refuge denotes danger. Sometimes God's elect right before they rest in the Name of Christ, are by God's providence brought to an awful sensibility and alarm fr their Eternal Well Being,such as the Philippian Jailor, resulting from that frightening providence, he experienced by the Sovereignty of God, so much so that he cried out, what must I do to be saved, but this made him fit to trust in the Name of the Lord, through the Word Paul spake unto him Acts 16:32

32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

Now was it the fleeing or running to Christ that got him saved from the penalty of his sins ? Was it his believing ? If so, then he was saved by his works, his running, which is contrary to scripture Rom 9:16

So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

Notice also,not of him that willeth,or his volition. What is volition ? The word means:

a choice or decision made by the will.

That verse also condemns 99.9% of all false religions who claim to receive mercy for salvation by a choice or decision made by their freewill ! Thats a work !

Faith in or believing on Christ is an act of man, something man does, so its by definition a work ! In scripture faith in Christ or believing in him is described as fleeing to Him for refuge Heb 6:18

18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

Notice Prov 18:10

The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

It speaks of the Name of the Lord ! As in Joel 2:32

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Now notice the word run, very similar to the word flee, now is one saved because they runneth ? If so then that contradicts Rom 9:16

One is not saved by Mercy because they runneth or exert effort. Fleeing to the city of refuge denotes danger. Sometimes God's elect right before they rest in the Name of Christ, are by God's providence brought to an awful sensibility and alarm fr their Eternal Well Being,such as the Philippian Jailor, resulting from that frightening providence, he experienced by the Sovereignty of God, so much so that he cried out, what must I do to be saved, but this made him fit to trust in the Name of the Lord, through the Word Paul spake unto him Acts 16:32

32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

Now was it the fleeing or running to Christ that got him saved from the penalty of his sins ? Was it his believing ? If so, then he was saved by his works, his running, which is contrary to scripture Rom 9:16

Notice also,not of him that willeth,or his volition. What is volition ? The word means:

a choice or decision made by the will.

That verse also condemns 99.9% of all false religions who claim to receive mercy for salvation by a choice or decision made by their freewill ! Thats a work !

If you read that verse in context you'll find he's not speaking about salvation there.

What is Savation by works or by keeping of Law ?

It is very very rare that one is found to truly believe in Salvation by Grace apart from works or commandment keeping which is Law. Let me make it plain and simple for you, Salvation is by works or by law keeping whenever in our thinking, that the affairs of Salvation are governed by that work or law principle, ingrained in each of us by nature " This do and thou shalt live", Yes it is the do and live principle Lk 10:27,28

27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

Deut 4:1

Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you.

Yes even if it is obeying the Law or Command to Repent Acts 17:30 or to believe Acts 16:30-31

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Or water baptism Acts 2:38

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 10:48

And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Now if that is one's thinking, that by obeying any command of this nature, is the basis , the prerequisite for one to get saved, then you are saved by works of the law or works of law, this thinking proves that one is still married to the Law, it does not matter their profession to be of Christ, this type thinking betrays that confession, and such a one is a debtor to do the whole law to Live ! Christ profits you nothing !

Back