Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should a married couple attend the same Church?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
D

Dave Slayer

Should a married couple attend the same Church? What if they attended a different Church while they were dating and continued to do so once married? What is Biblical?

Well I think it's importatn for married couples to do things together, and being united together in Christ is important...so my answer is yes - on a regular basis. I don't think it's wrong for sometimes them go to a different church, but I'm saying yes to the regular attendance.

I'm going to say yes for two Scriptural Reasons:

1) Mark 3:25 (a House divided against itself cannot stand). In the correct context this is talking about blasphere of the Holy Spirit, meaning a man cannot serve God and curse him at the same time. However, this principle does carry into the marraige relationship. Suppose the husband's pastor teaches that Infant Baptism saves while the wife's Pastor teaches that an infant cannot be baptized. Do you honestly see such a difference in teachings to a safe thing for a marraige? The differences in their theology can be there, but when one rely's one on teacher for guidence and the second another, the it is only natural for a person to take offense when what they've been taught as right is challenged.

2) Ephesians 5:22 (Wives submit to your husband as unto the Lord). The husband of the family is responsible for making sure his family is in submission to God's word and Christ teachings. If the wife is gettng teaching from another church that the husband feels or knows to be wrong, then she should submit to his leadership which is in full submission to Christ's authority and attend the church where her husband recognizes the teachings of God.

What if the husband is not as committed to Christ as the wife?

In my case, God is growing me in my current church (as flawed as it is), but my husband has stopped growing. Now in my opinion, this has happened because when God tried to grow him by giving him something to accomplish in the church, my husband decided that he didn't want to put forth the effort.

Now, my husband wants to leave our church for a different one because he thinks he will start growing again. Am I supposed to give up God growing me to submit to my husband? What if the husband is spiritually at a lower level than the wife (and I'm not saying that mine is because he doesn't talk to me about his walk with Christ)?

You know Heather, I really encourage you to submit to your husband and follow him if he leaves. Hard I know, but I was in a somewhat similar situation with Steve and all I can say is that the difference in Steve since I submitted in this area is astounding.

I'm still praying and waiting for the day when God leads Steve to take his family to a solid, bible teaching church. Meanwhile, God is working all kinds of growth in Steve. I've seen more spiritual growth in Steve since last November than I have in the entire 10 1/2 years preceding our move to the ELCA.

I believe a husband and wife should go to the same church. There shouldn't be a different between churches if its a true christian church. It will be less difficult once you hava children, and raising them in the church you BOTH trust in.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back