Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should I get a christian degree

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

MattAllen

I'm starting college for computer science in the fall but as of lately I've keep having this feeling that i need to go and get a degree in bible or something. I feel called or like I need to work in or for a church. Does anyone have any advice. Is God laying this on my heart or am I just being weird. I don't think being a main pastor would be for me but I feel like I need to go to college and get a job for the church. If I got a christian degree and went to seminary I might consider being a missionary but I don't want to get out of college and have no job.(Then again if this is what God wants he will provide me a job).

Hi Matt,

I think it's great that you are considering the thought of getting a Christian degree. Personally, I (a woman) decided to go to college to study Christian studies because I felt that was what God was leading me to do. I wanted to prepare myself for whatever it is he has in store for me to do for Him. Being a bi-vocational minister is a great thing, because it broadens your field of influence and also allows you to minister without being dependent on a church for your income. I would strongly encourage you to continue to pray and seek God's will on this matter, it could really be that He is leading you to do this. :)

Matt,

You might consider a double major. I would strongly recommend avoiding any majors in a practical theology field, but a major which stocks up on biblical studies, biblical languages, and theology (non-practical) would be acceptable. It would be okay to minor or take a few course electives in a practical theology field, however.

If you are seriously considering seminary, you should minor at most in Bible and theology at the undergraduate level. Seminary programs are designed for those who enter without any formal training in Bible, theology, biblical languages, or ministry. Some seminaries will allow you to avoid repeat courses (e.g., introduction to the New Testament, etc.). However, they often require you to take electives in place of these courses. Thus, you would basically be throwing your money away.

If you are considering missions works, I strongly recommend coursework in cross-cultural and/or intercultural communications. I have interacted with too many missionaries who are oblivious to this.

And, finally, a couple of potential majors you might look for as your double or even primary (if you go the seminary route) are instructional technology and (applied) linguistics. If you're a computer person instructional technology is a great field. It is the application of computer technology to "instruction" (or education). It is a hot field now, and it will only continue to grow. There are positions in academia and the corporate world. You can obtain positions with international schools. That could be your "in" for some countries, and does not always require you to draw support from a denomination or local churches.

Applied linguistics would be great because as a native English speaker you are in a high demand around the world. With a bachelor's degree alone, you can find an acceptable position within a week or two at different locations around the world (e.g., South Korea, China, Taiwan, Turkey, Russia, etc.). With a major or minor in applied linguistics, you become a relatively hot commodity. Plus, it's often possible to obtain a teaching license (with additional coursework) to work in public schools in the States. ESL (English as a Second Language) teachers are one of the more in demand skill sets amongst teachers today. (They do rank under mathematics and science teachers though.)

My personal recommendation would be avoiding a single major in Bible and theology. I would add something "marketable" onto that because I have too many friends who studied for vocational ministry and now only volunteer at their local churches. They have had to develop a marketable skill set without the coursework.

Hope that helps.

thank you my pastor also told me that I should get some marketable skills too. Because people from other countries look higher upon that. I think I;m going to get continue to get my computer science degree so i can have a steady income then see if God wants me to go elsewhere

I'm thinking of doing computer science!

I wouldn't mind getting a Christian degree later down the track, could be very useful.

Just do what you feel the Lord calls you to do.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back