Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Solomon, Son of David

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

stovebolts

I wanted to put some of my thoughts together and then post them to see what your thoughts might be on the matter.

As most of us should know, Solomon was the Son of King David and is claimed to be the wisest man that has ever lived. What I’m thinking about is this though. Prior to King David and the judges, Israel was in bondage to Egypt. While in bondage, Israel cried out to the LORD, and the LORD responded, “Exodus 3:7 And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows; and Exodus 3:9 Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel has come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them.â€Â

Here we have a nation that is being oppressed and are forced as slaves to build up Egypt and they are crying out to God for help and God hears their pleas! Well, we all know the story how God delivers Israel from Egypt and were all familiar with the walls of Jericho, King Saul, David and Solomon, but how many of us really know what God had said to Moses while in the wilderness for 40 years? Lets take a look.

Deuteronomy 17:14-17 When you are come unto the land which the LORD your God gives you, and shall possess it, and shall dwell therein, and shall say, I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are about me; You shall surely set him king over you, whom the LORD your God shall choose: one from among your brethren shall you set king over you: you may not set a stranger over you, who is not your brother. But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: since as the LORD has said unto you, you shall return no more that way again. Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

Now, I’m not putting Solomon down, but contrast what God had commanded, and what Solomon actually did during a portion of his reigh. (I say portion because he does end up repenting)

1 Kings 10:26 And Solomon gathered together chariots and horsemen: and he had a thousand and four hundred chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen, whom he stationed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

But wait, where did he get these from?
1 Kings 10:28 And Solomon had horses brought out of Egypt, and Kue: the king's merchants received them from Kue at a price.
Sounds like he’s building an empire… Strike One.

1 Kings 9:21 Their children that were left after them in the land, whom the children of Israel also were not able utterly to destroy, of those did Solomon conscript for forced labor unto this day.
Force labor… sounds like slaves to me. Now, how does one go from being oppressed, to becoming the oppressor?

1 Kings 10:27 And the king made silver to be in Jerusalem as stones, and cedars made he to be as the sycamore trees that are in the lowlands, for abundance.
Strike Two.

1 Kings 11:1 But king Solomon loved many foreign women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians, and Hittites;

Hmm.. which ones offered their first born to the fiery arms of Baal?

1 Kings 11:7 Then did Solomon build a high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon.
Strike Three, and God said,

1 Kings 11:9 And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, who had appeared unto him twice,

Going back to Mt. Sinai, the purpose God had for Israel was very clear,
Exodus 19:6 And you shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation. These are the words which you shall speak unto the children of Israel.

It’s ironic how in such a short time they went from being oppressed, to becoming the oppressors?

On a related thought, Paul spoke to the Corinthians and said this,
1 Corinthians 3:18-20 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seems to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He takes the wise in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

And I’m reminded of Solomon’s own words,

Ecclesiastes 1:13-14 And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this severe burden has God given to the sons of man to be afflicted with. I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and like grasping the wind.

Jesus was called, “Son of Davidâ€Â, and I’m sure the question was being asked, what kind of Son…

Thoughts?

I like anything to do with the monarchy, and some of the points you brought out about Solomon showed his disobedience. Nevertheless, God made and eternal covenant with David, and even back at the time of Jacob (Genesis 49), the scepter was promised to always remain in Judah. So in spite of the fact that God was supposed to be Israel's King, He ironically prophesied of the lineage of Judah. This, of course, was needed to bring about Messiah who had to have a physical genealogical link to the people of the covenant.

As for what was thought of Jesus, I guess one has to look at the political situation of the day, which BTW, most Christians do not realize and look at most of the NT from a spiritual vantage point only. I guess what the believers thought of the Messiah (Jesus) was that he was going to displace Rome, and set up the kingdom there in Israel again (Acts 1:6)

Being of a British-Israel slant myself, I do not believe that the throne was ever vacated, but rather was transferred out of the land of Israel. The disciples hoped that all the Jews and Israelites (from whence the throne was located) would be regathered, and Christ would at that time then take the Davidic throne there in the promised land and save them from their political oppressors.

Instead, He essentially said "none of your business when this would occur". Notice Jesus did not say the throne was in heaven the way replacement theologians would have us believe. A king needs a genealogy and a genealogy requires rulers here on this earth, otherwise, it would be pointless.

Like you, I try to look at scripture how they (the crowd that the scripture was written to) would have seen it. From there, I see where it fits in today's world whether in principle, metaphor or application to mention a few.

Tim from PA said:
I guess what the believers thought of the Messiah (Jesus) was that he was going to displace Rome, and set up the kingdom there in Israel again (Acts 1:6)

I would have to agree with that, but as we know, Jesus had his eye on a bigger picture.

Israel was centered on the Exodus with the covenant from Mt. Sinai. (Exodus 19) This is clearly seen by the many rites and rituals including Passover that the Hebrews celebrated.

Unlike the time when they, as a nation were in exile, all of Israel was once again joined as a nation in Zion, but this time, they found themselves under the oppression of Rome in anticipation of their new deliver, the Messiah; that is to say, Christ, as promised in the covenant with the house of Judah. (1 Chronicles 17:11-12 and 2 Samuel 23:5).

Here’s the catch though (from what I’m seeing anyway). Jesus was called the “Son of David†as was Solomon. Solomon did what would appear to be great things for Israel as a nation, but in reality, his choices (wisdom) actually tore down the kingdom. From a secular view, Solomon did great things such as make silver abundant, which meant people were rich (that doesn’t sound too bad huh). He also had a great army and life was pretty darn good for the people. Unfortunately, it led the nation to ruins (Ezekiel 16) as they, as a chosen nation exploited the riches and blessings that God has so lavishly poured out upon them.

Is it a wonder then, that there were many who have thought that this “Son of David†would be a mighty warrior and lead them out of oppression again (like the exodus)? Ironically, I believe that the poor and those under the hard yoke of the modern day religious leaders of Jesus day saw Jesus for who he was and what he came for… it appears that it was the religious leaders themselves, those, “Teachers of the Law†who misunderstood that this Son of David, did not come for an earthly kingdom, but a heavenly one.

What are your thoughts?

Is it a wonder then, that there were many who have thought that this “Son of David†would be a mighty warrior and lead them out of oppression again (like the exodus)? Ironically, I believe that the poor and those under the hard yoke of the modern day religious leaders of Jesus day saw Jesus for who he was and what he came for… it appears that it was the religious leaders themselves, those, “Teachers of the Law†who misunderstood that this Son of David, did not come for an earthly kingdom, but a heavenly one.

What are your thoughts?

Actually, the children of Israel had every right to expect Messiah to be like that, but in his own time, not theirs. Jesus came first to seek that which was lost. He came the first time seeking those in grace. He will return in judgment on his enemies.

Israel only saw the second half and do not see the spiritual component to the actuality of it all, or, as Jesus said, Verily ye must be born again. They only knew of the fleshly side of the coin.

On the other hand, many Christians fail to see that what the Israelites expected is yet to come, and erroneously apply all the promises to Israel and the kingdom as a "spiritual kingdom" (whatever that means). Hence, they see only the other side of the coin.

Whatever was promised was indeed meant to come to pass physically, but the source of that power and the eternal purpose was overlooked---- that of the Spirit.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back