Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Soul Sleep yes or no?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
What’s wrong with America?

Whoopi Goldberg, Latisha James, Fani Willis, and Karine Jean-Pierre.

Happy birthday.

Oh, he needs to be kicked off this site. He’s a racist Hitler. He’s the devil and hates democracy.

I was almost sucked in by that culture. I was looking for my place in this world. And they seemed cool.
Hip hop Bo Dee do bop.

I don't think there will even be non-existence for anyone.
It's possible.
Remember the idols made of wood or gold ?
God says let those who worship the idols call on their idols to save them in the day of Judgment.
Of course, they cannot save anyone.
They are non-existent ,
and likely those who follow them will one day be non-existent also. Body and soul destroyed by fire.

Yep, The God of most Christians, where most are damned because he is just too good.
If they are going to be damned, they are not Christians.
It doesn't matter, but Cain didn't know right from wrong. I can't help it, if he didn't know any better.
What makes you think Cain didn't know good from evil ?
God has warned Cain of the outcome of sin in Gen 4:7, before Cain sinned.
All the pain, righteous people get from God is because they have to pick up the slack for others.
I don't agree.

It's possible.
Remember the idols made of wood or gold ?
God says let those who worship the idols call on their idols to save them in the day of Judgment.
Of course, they cannot save anyone.
They are non-existent ,
and likely those who follow them will one day be non-existent also. Body and soul destroyed by fire.
Please provide any scripture stating that.
On the contrary, it is written..."And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal." (Matt 25:46)

Please provide any scripture stating that.
On the contrary, it is written..."And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal." (Matt 25:46)
Were you really not only unaware of this, but doubt this ?

=====================================
biblehub.com › isaiah › 57-13.htm

Isaiah 57:13 When you cry out, let your companies of idols deliver you ...

Verse 13. - When thou criest, let thy companies deliver thee.Then, when she thus cries, let her mixture of gods (ver. 8), if they can, deliver her; they will fail utterly to do so.

I think I have seen this "soul sleep" issue gone over before, but I never so stridently.
I still cannot get my head around the concept of this being something so important.
It is almost as if there were no "soul sleep" available for these people then they don't want to see Jesus at all ?
For what reason is a sleep delay is so vitally important I just don't get ?
It does not even make any sense .
That we, at our very core , we are spirits just as God is a Spirit is an undeniable fact.
Spirits confined, restrained & held down by our flesh.
Decaying flesh that requires food, water, sleep.
All things that constrain and confine the spirit.
Dismiss the body and the spirit is subject to none of it .
Does a spirit have to be laying down in order to sleep, or can a spirit sleep comfortably in a seated position? lol
If they are side sleepers do most spirits prefer to sleep on their left or their right side ?

Jhn 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth
Well, if you are going around as a ghost or speaking to the living or floating around at the beck and call of mediums, this is that.....Spiritual ism.

It is obvious to anyone reading the passage you've cited in a natural, straightforward way that it is the body of Lazarus that is "sleeping." It lays in the grave in a position of repose, unresponsive to, and unaware of, what is going on around it, just like a person who is soundly asleep. Inasmuch as Lazarus was identified by his loved ones and friends by his unique physical form, associated inextricably with his body by them, it would have been perfectly natural for Christ to speak of Lazarus' corpse as Lazarus.

We know, though, that the figurative way Jesus spoke of Lazarus in this instance did not indicate that the soul of Lazarus was sleeping. Christ's own parable of the after-death experience of another Lazarus and a Rich Man deny such an idea:

Luke 16:22-24
22 "Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried.
23 "In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 "And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.'

Here, the disembodied souls of two men exist consciously after death, speaking, seeing and feeling things entirely apart from their physical forms. "Ah, but this is a figurative, non-literal parable, an entirely imagined scenario," some with a vested interest in promoting soul sleep will say. Nothing about the parable indicates, though, that it is completely fictional. Why would Jesus, who never used entirely fictional circumstances/objects in any other of his parables to make his points, do so in this one? Why would he alter his usual approach with parables and teach truth by way of what is not true? Why would he tell this story knowing it was all false, that there was no Abraham's Bosom, no tormenting flames of hell? Again, Jesus never used an entirely fictional scenario in any of his other parables, drawing instead from common, everyday life the elements of his parables. And Jesus never hinted in the slightest that the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man was entirely imaginary. He doesn't tell his disciples later on that the parable was totally figurative and should be understood as such, explaining to them the symbolism of the story, as he did with some of his other parables. The disciples don't ask for an explanation, either, giving no indication that they understood the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man as imaginary and figurative. In light of all of these things, it is quite proper to take the parable, which defies the idea of soul sleep directly, as communicating the immediate reality of what follows the death of one's body.

2 Corinthians 5:6-8
6 Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord—
7 for we walk by faith, not by sight—
8 we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

Paul here describes a one-or-the-other state of affairs without any intermediate, intervening condition of being (i.e. soul sleep). We are either "at home in the body" or "at home with the Lord"; there is no third "soul sleep" state Paul mentions here. This comports very well with Christ's parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man.

Because the story wasn't about Lazarus' experience of the afterlife. It was about Christ and his death-overcoming power:

John 11:25-27
25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies,
26 and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
27 She said to Him, "Yes, Lord; I have believed that You are the Christ, the Son of God, even He who comes into the world."

This is the conclusion - and the main point - of the story of Lazarus's resurrection, which is entirely focused upon Jesus and the resurrection life found in him. Adding to this account details of what Lazarus experienced in the afterlife would have diluted, and distracted from, this point significantly. And so, we are given nothing of what Lazarus experienced on the far side of the grave. Besides, we have already been told by Christ what to expect when we die in his parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man.
So can God make a body, can He make a new eye or hand, of course He can so there is no need for a saint to come back to the grave to pick up a body or dust as it has become, but there is a reason for God to come pick up His saint(s) from the grave at the resurrection and take them to heaven to be with Him..

So can God make a body, can He make a new eye or hand, of course He can so there is no need for a saint to come back to the grave to pick up a body or dust as it has become, but there is a reason for God to come pick up His saint(s) from the grave at the resurrection and take them to heaven to be with Him..

But no saint returns with God to "pick up a body or dust as it has become." They return to be united to a glorified resurrected body, that is free of corruption, able to endure forever in God's eternal kingdom in the new heavens and earth.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.
14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.

Mark 12:26-27
26 "But regarding the fact that the dead rise again, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush, how God spoke to him, saying, 'I AM THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, AND THE GOD OF ISAAC, AND THE GOD OF JACOB'?
27 "He is not the God of the dead, but of the living; you are greatly mistaken."

2 Corinthians 5:8
8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Philippians 1:21-23
21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell.
23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.

Luke 23:42-43
42 And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!"
43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

Back