Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Soul

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
We are immaterial souls joined to a physical body created by God from the dust of the ground. God breathed His breath/spirit into our nostrils that made this body a living soul. We are made up of three parts being spirit, soul and body that are joined together when we were conceived in our mother's womb.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The body is physical with five senses being sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch that connects with the world.

The soul is the part of the human being that will live on in eternity and with our soul, not our body, is the part of us that is to love God.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

In those two verses it speaks about our soul as being in relationship with God and not this fleshly body. It's our soul and spirit that needs regeneration by God's Spirit.

The life we have here on earth is temporal as our physical bodies will die and return to the dust and be remembered no more.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

1 John 3: 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

The life and the blood is in Jesus who gives our soul eternal life with the Father by that of the blood sacrifice of Christ through God's grace that we are made righteous by the righteousness of God through the Spiritual rebirth. God is not going to reform our physical bodies that have returned to dust, but will raise us from the grave in new glorified bodies that we know not what we will look like.

We are immaterial souls joined to a physical body created by God from the dust of the ground. God breathed His breath/spirit into our nostrils that made this body a living soul. We are made up of three parts being spirit, soul and body that are joined together when we were conceived in our mother's womb.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The body is physical with five senses being sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch that connects with the world.

The soul is the part of the human being that will live on in eternity and with our soul, not our body, is the part of us that is to love God.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

In those two verses it speaks about our soul as being in relationship with God and not this fleshly body. It's our soul and spirit that needs regeneration by God's Spirit.

The life we have here on earth is temporal as our physical bodies will die and return to the dust and be remembered no more.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

1 John 3: 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

The life and the blood is in Jesus who gives our soul eternal life with the Father by that of the blood sacrifice of Christ through God's grace that we are made righteous by the righteousness of God through the Spiritual rebirth. God is not going to reform our physical bodies that have returned to dust, but will raise us from the grave in new glorified bodies that we know not what we will look like.
From what I understand of the scripture at Genesis 2:7 this scripture doesn't say God gave the flesh and blood human body a living soul. Genesis 2:7 teaches that God took dust from the ground and formed from that dust a flesh and blood human body. Then God blew the breath(spirit) of life into that flesh and blood human body and that flesh and blood human body became a living soul. I see nothing in Genesis 2:7 where it is written down that God gave the flesh and blood human body a living soul. So from what I can see concerning the scriptures, they teach that we are living souls not that we have living souls. The scriptures shows that when words like, nephesh, and psykhe, that are translated soul when used in connection with earthly creatures, animal or human refer to that which is material not immaterial, and refers to that which is tangible, visible, and mortal. So I disagree that the scriptures teach that human beings have immaterial living souls in their flesh and blood human bodies, but instead teach that our living soul is our flesh and blood human body that is material, tangible, visible, and mortal.

Last edited:
From what I understand of the scripture at Genesis 2:7 this scripture doesn't say God gave the flesh and blood human body a living soul. Genesis 2:7 teaches that God took dust from the ground and formed from that dust a flesh and blood human body. Then God blew the breath(spirit) of life into that flesh and blood human body and that flesh and blood human body became a living soul. I see nothing in Genesis 2:7 where it is written down that God gave the flesh and blood human body a living soul. So from what I can see concerning the scriptures, they teach that we are living souls not that we have living souls. The scriptures shows that when words like, nephesh, and psykhe, that are translated soul when used in connection with earthly creatures, animal or human refer to that which is material not immaterial, and refers to that which is tangible, visible, and mortal. So I disagree that the scriptures teach that human beings have immaterial living souls in their flesh and blood human bodies, but instead teach that our living soul is our flesh and blood human body that is material, tangible, visible, and mortal.
Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

"breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Without the breath not even Adam could be a living soul. Here dust + breath/spirit from God = a living soul."

The soul which makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. The spiritual nature of man regarded as immortal and separable from the body/flesh at death and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

"breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Without the breath not even Adam could be a living soul. Here dust + breath/spirit from God = a living soul."

The soul which makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. The spiritual nature of man regarded as immortal and separable from the body/flesh at death and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.
I haven't found in scripture, where it says we human beings have living souls, or living persons in our human bodies. Scripture teaches that human beings are living souls, or living persons. From my research it's those who worshipped false gods who had the belief that a human being had a living soul which was a living person in the human body, that separated from the human body at death. So those who worshipped false gods believed death was a doorway to another plain of existence and when a human being died his/her living soul which was a living person went to be in a happy state or a miserable state. But whenever you're discussing false gods you're talking about demons, and the True God has nothing in common with demons. So taking what belongs to false gods which actually means you're taking what belongs with demons, and combining it with the True God and his truth, is wrong. You never combine what belongs to demons and combine it with the True God or his truth.
True death in the scriptures for human beings is just like animals. When an animal dies, it ceases to exist as a living soul, or living animal, and humans have no superiority in death over animals, so just as a animal when it dies ceases to be a living soul or living animal, a human being stops being a living soul or living person. There is no such thing as a living soul or a living animal inside an animal body so there is no such thing as a living soul or living person inside the human body that separates from the human body at death.

I haven't found in scripture, where it says we human beings have living souls, or living persons in our human bodies. Scripture teaches that human beings are living souls, or living persons.
I believe you contradicted your self here. You said you can not find scripture that says we human beings have living souls and then turn it around saying scripture teaches that humans are a living soul.

Why do you not believe what is written in that verse.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Notice this verse says soul and body is destroyed in the grave, which hell means the grave one is buried in. Dust to dust.

The soul makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. After we die there is no more thought, action or emotion.When a person dies they return to the dust of the ground and the soul (living soul within us) no longer exist.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

The soul is a combination of body and spirit. When the two no longer exist together there is no consciousness of anything. John 3:13 states that no one has ever ascended up to heaven as all that have died in Christ will be resurrected on the last day when Christ returns to eternal life, 1Corinthians 15:50-58. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. It's not this physical body that will be resurrected when Christ returns, as we will be changed, but no one knows what we will look like other than that we will be immortal and incorruptible like Christ in His glorified body.

Hebrew word for soul is "nephesh" and the Greek for soul is "psyche" which refers to a living, breathing conscious body. When we die the soul no longer exist and our breath/spirit returns back to God for final judgement.

I see nothing in Genesis 2:7 where it is written down that God gave the flesh and blood human body a living soul.

So also it is written, “The first MAN, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 1 Corinthians 15:45 NASB

JLB

So also it is written, “The first MAN, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 1 Corinthians 15:45 NASB

JLB
The scripture at 1 Corinthians 15:45 doesn't contradict Genesis 2:7. We human beings living on the planet today are living souls, we don't have living souls in our human bodies, we human beings are living souls.

I believe you contradicted your self here. You said you can not find scripture that says we human beings have living souls and then turn it around saying scripture teaches that humans are a living soul.

Why do you not believe what is written in that verse.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Notice this verse says soul and body is destroyed in the grave, which hell means the grave one is buried in. Dust to dust.

The soul makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. After we die there is no more thought, action or emotion.When a person dies they return to the dust of the ground and the soul (living soul within us) no longer exist.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

The soul is a combination of body and spirit. When the two no longer exist together there is no consciousness of anything. John 3:13 states that no one has ever ascended up to heaven as all that have died in Christ will be resurrected on the last day when Christ returns to eternal life, 1Corinthians 15:50-58. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. It's not this physical body that will be resurrected when Christ returns, as we will be changed, but no one knows what we will look like other than that we will be immortal and incorruptible like Christ in His glorified body.

Hebrew word for soul is "nephesh" and the Greek for soul is "psyche" which refers to a living, breathing conscious body. When we die the soul no longer exist and our breath/spirit returns back to God for final , judgement.
I didn't contradict myself, Genesis 2:7 teaches that human beings are living souls or living persons. Genesis 2:7 doesn't teach that human beings have living souls or living persons in their human bodies. When anyone says that the living soul or living person is separate from the flesh and blood human body, they are contradicting Genesis 2:7, because at Genesis 2:7 God didn't give the flesh and blood human body a living soul or living person when he blew the breath/spirit of life into the flesh and blood human body. When the breath/spirit of life that God blew into the flesh and blood human body leaves the human body, then we human beings who are living souls, or living persons, stop being living souls or living persons.
When anyone reasons or teaches that the breath/spirit of life that God blew into the flesh and blood human body is a living soul, or living person that God blew into the flesh and blood human body, they're incorrect, Genesis 2:7 doesn't teach that.
You said that our breath/spirit returns back to God for final judgment. I agree that the scriptures say that the spirit returns to God. However if what you meant by that is that a living person literally goes to heaven to God to await final judgment, then I disagree. The breath/spirit of life that God blew into the flesh and blood human body isn't a living person. So when the breath/spirit leaves the body when a human being dies that doesn't mean a living person literally goes to God in heaven to await final judgment.

Last edited:
I didn't contradict myself, Genesis 2:7 teaches that human beings are living souls or living persons. Genesis 2:7 doesn't teach that human beings have living souls or living persons in their human bodies. When anyone says that the living soul or living person is separate from the flesh and blood human body, they are contradicting Genesis 2:7, because at Genesis 2:7 God didn't give the flesh and blood human body a living soul or living person when he blew the breath/spirit of life into the flesh and blood human body. When the breath/spirit of life that God blew into the flesh and blood human body leaves the human body, then we human beings who are living souls, or living persons, stop being living souls or living persons.
When anyone reasons or teaches that the breath/spirit of life that God blew into the flesh and blood human body is a living soul, or living person that God blew into the flesh and blood human body, they're incorrect, Genesis 2:7 doesn't teach that.
You said that our breath/spirit returns back to God for final judgment. I agree that the scriptures say that the spirit returns to God. However if what you meant by that is that a living person literally goes to heaven to God to await final judgment, then I disagree. The breath/spirit of life that God blew into the flesh and blood human body isn't a living person. So when the breath/spirit leaves the body when a human being dies that doesn't mean a living person literally goes to God in heaven to await final judgment.
I never said it was the breath/spirit that made us a living person, but is what made us a living soul

It's the breath/spirit of God in Genesis 2:7 breathed in our nostrils that has made us a living soul, thus a living human being. Without the breath none of us would be alive. Ecc 12:7 when this physical body dies it returns back to the dust of the ground and it's only the breath/spirit that goes back to God who gave it as according to John 3:13 no one has ever ascended up to heaven when they died.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

I never said it was the breath/spirit that made us a living person, but is what made us a living soul

It's the breath/spirit of God in Genesis 2:7 breathed in our nostrils that has made us a living soul, thus a living human being. Without the breath none of us would be alive. Ecc 12:7 when this physical body dies it returns back to the dust of the ground and it's only the breath/spirit that goes back to God who gave it as according to John 3:13 no one has ever ascended up to heaven when they died.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven

A human being is a living soul, so that means a human being is a living person. You're not going to convince me that human beings who have physical human bodies are not living persons. To be clear the physical human body became a living soul or living person when God blew the breath/spirit of life into the physical human body. I know that we human beings are living persons, and that's because God blew the breath/spirit of life into the physical human body. That doesnt mean that the breath/spirit of life is a living soul or living person that God blew into or joined to the physical human body. You said at post #1 that Immaterial souls are joined to physical bodies, but Genesis 2:7 doesn't say that God blew a immaterial soul or joined a immaterial soul into the physical human body. The scriptures say that God blew the breath/spirit of life into the physical human body and that physical human body became a living soul. Nowhere in Genesis 2:7 is it saying that the breath/spirit of life is a immaterial soul that was blown into the physical human body or joined to the physical human body. So because human beings are living souls, that means human beings don't have immaterial souls because human beings are material, not immaterial. What I believe is that Genesis 2:7 isn't saying God gave a immaterial soul to the physical human body or that God joined a immaterial soul to the physical human body. You also said at post #1 "the soul is the part of the human being that will live on in eternity and with our soul, not our body, is the part of us that is to love God." Well here you are saying that a living person or a living soul leaves the physical human body at death and lives on in eternity with God. But as I continue to say Genesis 2:7 says that the physical human body became a living soul. Genesis 2:7 doesn't say that the soul is separate from the physical human body. Whenever someone reasons the soul is separate from the physical human body they and I will disagree that the scriptures teach that.
A human being is a living soul, so that means a human being is a living person. You're not going to convince me that human beings who have physical human bodies are not living persons. To be clear the physical human body became a living soul or living person when God blew the breath/spirit of life into the physical human body. I know that we human beings are living persons, and that's because God blew the breath/spirit of life into the physical human body. That doesnt mean that the breath/spirit of life is a living soul or living person that God blew into or joined to the physical human body. You said at post #1 that Immaterial souls are joined to physical bodies, but Genesis 2:7 doesn't say that God blew a immaterial soul or joined a immaterial soul into the physical human body. The scriptures say that God blew the breath/spirit of life into the physical human body and that physical human body became a living soul. Nowhere in Genesis 2:7 is it saying that the breath/spirit of life is a immaterial soul that was blown into the physical human body or joined to the physical human body. So because human beings are living souls, that means human beings don't have immaterial souls because human beings are material, not immaterial. What I believe is that Genesis 2:7 isn't saying God gave a immaterial soul to the physical human body or that God joined a immaterial soul to the physical human body. You also said at post #1 "the soul is the part of the human being that will live on in eternity and with our soul, not our body, is the part of us that is to love God." Well here you are saying that a living person or a living soul leaves the physical human body at death and lives on in eternity with God. But as I continue to say Genesis 2:7 says that the physical human body became a living soul. Genesis 2:7 doesn't say that the soul is separate from the physical human body. Whenever someone reasons the soul is separate from the physical human body they and I will disagree that the scriptures teach that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barney Bright I can not read your reply with the color you have used as it comes across very light and unreadable. Could you please just type with black letters, thank you.

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Because Genesis 2:7 does say that the flesh and blood human body became a living soul when God blew the breath/spirit of life into the flesh and blood human body, I believe that means that the flesh and blood human body became a living human being, and human beings are living persons, unless they have died then I believe they're a dead human being meaning that human being that has died is no longer a living soul so no longer a living person.

Also the breath/spirit of life that God blew into the flesh and blood human body I don't believe is a soul or living soul or living person that God blew into the flesh and blood human body or joined to the flesh and blood human body. Because I believe that would make the soul or living soul separate from the flesh and blood human body, and I don't believe that Genesis 2:7 says that the soul or living soul is something separate from the human body that it separates at death. So when the scripture at Ecclesiastes 12:7 says that the breath/spirit goes back to God, I don't believe it means a soul or a living soul or a living person goes back to God, to wait judgment.

I quoted something from post #8 that you texted:

"The soul makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. After we die there is no more thought, action or emotion.When a person dies they return to the dust of the ground and the soul (living soul within us) no longer exist."

I agree with everything you said here except what you have in parenthesis, (living soul within us). I disagree that human beings have living soul within the human body, I don't believe that is agreeing with Genesis 2 7 and that's because I disagree that the breath/spirit of life that God blew into the human body was a living soul that God blew or put within the human body. So since I don't believe that the breath/spirit of life to be a living soul that God blew or put within the human body, I believe the human body is the living soul. There's a big difference in saying that, the human being is a living soul, and saying that, a human being has a living soul within them. I honestly believe when someone says the living soul is within the human being it causes people to believe that the living soul is separate from the human body and goes to a place of happiness or misery when a human being dies. I don't think that you're saying that, because like I said I agree with everything you said that I quoted from post # 8 that you texted, except what you have in parenthesis(living soul within us).

I quoted something else you texted at post #8:

"Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Notice this verse says soul and body is destroyed in the grave, which hell means the grave one is buried in. Dust to dust."

Here at this scripture many translations of the Bible have the word, "hell" at this scripture and so believe this scripture is talking about the grave. However the Greek word that is there is "gehenna," not, "Hades." I believe Hades represents the common earthly grave of mankind, and that it corresponds with the word "Sheol" found in the Hebrew scriptures. But as I said the Greek word "Hades" nor "Sheol" isn't here at Matthew 10:28, "Gehenna" is.
The scriptures nowhere say, that Jesus has the keys to "Gehenna." The scriptures do say that Jesus has the keys to, "death and of Hades," at Revelation 1:18, but nowhere in the scriptures do they say that Jesus has the keys to, "Gehenna."

Commenting on Matthew 10:28, in his book, Immortality of the soul or Resurrection of the dead, French professor Oscar Cullman wrote: "Psykhe' [soul] here does not mean the Greek concept of soul but should rather be translated, 'life'.... W. G. Kummel.... also writes with good reason: Matthew 10:28 'does not seek to highlight the immortality of the soul, but underlines the fact that God alone can destroy not only earthly life but also heavenly life."' So Gehenna represents utter destruction from which no resurrection is possible. The New Bible Commentary (Second Edition, page 786) defines Gehenna as "a description of second death."'

The scriptures definitely show us that some human beings will end up in the symbolic Gehenna before the great tribulation or Armageddon begins. We have examples in scripture that there are human beings in this wicked world we've been living in, that have committed the sin for which there is no forgiveness. Jesus told the unrepentant Scribes and Pharisees that they and their Gentile proselytes were subjects for Gehenna or, literally, 'sons of Gehenna.'(Matthew 23:15, 33-35; John 9:39-41; 15:22-24) So if even a proselyte of the Pharisees became a subject for Gehenna 'twice as much so as themselves,' how much more so Judas Iscariot, who made a heinous deal with them to betray God's Son! I believe Jesus implied this when he called Judas "the son of destruction," at John 17:12.

Also, unrepentant apostates go, at death, not to Sheol, or Hades, but they go to Gehenna.(Hebrews 6:4-8; 2 Peter 2:1) This is also true of dedicated Christians who persist in willful sin or those who "shrink back.(Hebrews 10:26-31, 38, 39)
So I believe that Matthew 10: 28 teaches us that all those who are subjects of Gehenna will be destroyed forever as living souls or living persons, meaning they will no longer exist as living souls or living persons, ever again, they're destroyed as living souls or living persons forever. So it's the true God we should fear not men. Men can't destroy us out of existence as living souls or living persons forever only the True God can do that.

Because Genesis 2:7 does say that the flesh and blood human body became a living soul when God blew the breath/spirit of life into the flesh and blood human body, I believe that means that the flesh and blood human body became a living human being, and human beings are living persons, unless they have died then I believe they're a dead human being meaning that human being that has died is no longer a living soul so no longer a living person.

Also the breath/spirit of life that God blew into the flesh and blood human body I don't believe is a soul or living soul or living person that God blew into the flesh and blood human body or joined to the flesh and blood human body. Because I believe that would make the soul or living soul separate from the flesh and blood human body, and I don't believe that Genesis 2:7 says that the soul or living soul is something separate from the human body that it separates at death. So when the scripture at Ecclesiastes 12:7 says that the breath/spirit goes back to God, I don't believe it means a soul or a living soul or a living person goes back to God, to wait judgment.

I quoted something from post #8 that you texted:

"The soul makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. After we die there is no more thought, action or emotion.When a person dies they return to the dust of the ground and the soul (living soul within us) no longer exist."

I agree with everything you said here except what you have in parenthesis, (living soul within us). I disagree that human beings have living soul within the human body, I don't believe that is agreeing with Genesis 2 7 and that's because I disagree that the breath/spirit of life that God blew into the human body was a living soul that God blew or put within the human body. So since I don't believe that the breath/spirit of life to be a living soul that God blew or put within the human body, I believe the human body is the living soul. There's a big difference in saying that, the human being is a living soul, and saying that, a human being has a living soul within them. I honestly believe when someone says the living soul is within the human being it causes people to believe that the living soul is separate from the human body and goes to a place of happiness or misery when a human being dies. I don't think that you're saying that, because like I said I agree with everything you said that I quoted from post # 8 that you texted, except what you have in parenthesis(living soul within us).

I quoted something else you texted at post #8:

"Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Notice this verse says soul and body is destroyed in the grave, which hell means the grave one is buried in. Dust to dust."

Here at this scripture many translations of the Bible have the word, "hell" at this scripture and so believe this scripture is talking about the grave. However the Greek word that is there is "gehenna," not, "Hades." I believe Hades represents the common earthly grave of mankind, and that it corresponds with the word "Sheol" found in the Hebrew scriptures. But as I said the Greek word "Hades" nor "Sheol" isn't here at Matthew 10:28, "Gehenna" is.
The scriptures nowhere say, that Jesus has the keys to "Gehenna." The scriptures do say that Jesus has the keys to, "death and of Hades," at Revelation 1:18, but nowhere in the scriptures do they say that Jesus has the keys to, "Gehenna."

Commenting on Matthew 10:28, in his book, Immortality of the soul or Resurrection of the dead, French professor Oscar Cullman wrote: "Psykhe' [soul] here does not mean the Greek concept of soul but should rather be translated, 'life'.... W. G. Kummel.... also writes with good reason: Matthew 10:28 'does not seek to highlight the immortality of the soul, but underlines the fact that God alone can destroy not only earthly life but also heavenly life."' So Gehenna represents utter destruction from which no resurrection is possible. The New Bible Commentary (Second Edition, page 786) defines Gehenna as "a description of second death."'

The scriptures definitely show us that some human beings will end up in the symbolic Gehenna before the great tribulation or Armageddon begins. We have examples in scripture that there are human beings in this wicked world we've been living in, that have committed the sin for which there is no forgiveness. Jesus told the unrepentant Scribes and Pharisees that they and their Gentile proselytes were subjects for Gehenna or, literally, 'sons of Gehenna.'(Matthew 23:15, 33-35; John 9:39-41; 15:22-24) So if even a proselyte of the Pharisees became a subject for Gehenna 'twice as much so as themselves,' how much more so Judas Iscariot, who made a heinous deal with them to betray God's Son! I believe Jesus implied this when he called Judas "the son of destruction," at John 17:12.

Also, unrepentant apostates go, at death, not to Sheol, or Hades, but they go to Gehenna.(Hebrews 6:4-8; 2 Peter 2:1) This is also true of dedicated Christians who persist in willful sin or those who "shrink back.(Hebrews 10:26-31, 38, 39)
So I believe that Matthew 10: 28 teaches us that all those who are subjects of Gehenna will be destroyed forever as living souls or living persons, meaning they will no longer exist as living souls or living persons, ever again, they're destroyed as living souls or living persons forever. So it's the true God we should fear not men. Men can't destroy us out of existence as living souls or living persons forever only the True God can do that.

God breathed the breath of life into us and man became a living soul. When a person dies the spirit returns back to God and this material body returns back to the dust of the ground. The soul that is the immaterial part of us is that which makes up the conscious part of ones being which is that of thought, action and emotion. It's the spiritual nature of man regarded as immortal and separable from the body/flesh at death and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.

Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

When one dies they have no more conscious, thought, action or emotions as the soul leaves the body. In order to have a conscious, thought, action and emotion you have to have a soul. The soul is a combination of body and spirit. When the two no longer exist together there is no soul and no consciousness of anything. After death the soul no longer exist.

It's the breath/spirit of God breathed in us that has made us a living soul.

for_his_glory said,
"God breathed the breath of life into us and man became a living soul. When a person dies the spirit returns back to God and this material body returns back to the dust of the ground. The soul that is the immaterial part of us is that which makes up the conscious part of ones being which is that of thought, action and emotion. It's the spiritual nature of man regarded as immortal and separable from the body/flesh at death and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.[/Quote\]

You and I are going to disagree with what Genesis 2:7 teaches. You're saying above that the soul is some immaterial part of human beings that makes up the consciousness of human beings, that of thought and action, and emotion. You're also saying that this immaterial part of human beings called the soul is immortal and separable from the human body. So I disagree with you, I believe human beings are living souls, not that human beings have living souls that you say make up some immaterial part of human beings and that is immortal and it's this immaterial part of human beings which has consciousness, thought, emotion. I disagree. You're not ever going to convince me that consciousness, emotion, thought, doesn't have anything to do with the human brain. The human brain is material, not immaterial, the human brain is mortal, not immortal and that's because human beings are mortal living souls, human beings don't have some immaterial part that has to do with consciousness, thought, emotion, such things comes from the human brain. So I don't agree that our consciousness, thought, emotions have to do with some immaterial part of the human being, and has nothing to do with the human brain.

Last edited:
Where have I ever said anything different.

Where have I ever said anything different.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a rtliving soul.

At post #16 I'm saying you said something different, because when I say that human beings are living souls, I'm speaking about the physical human body being a living soul, and has nothing to do with the soul being some immaterial part of the human body. When you were speaking of the soul being the immaterial part of the human body you said that this immaterial part makes up the conscious part of ones being which is of thought, action, and emotion. I disagree with this and say that human beings have consciousness, thought, and emotions not because human beings have some immaterial part in their human bodies, but instead because human beings have human brains, so it's not because human beings have some immaterial part in the their human bodies that we have consciousness and thought, and emotion, but instead it's that human beings have human brains. The human brain is physical, material, tangible, and mortal. So the human brain being part of the physical human body I continue to say that it's the human physical body that is the living soul and has nothing to do with some immaterial part in the human body.
When the scriptures say that the breath/spirit goes back to God, when a human dies, I don't believe that the breath/spirit that goes back to God, means that some living soul or living person literally goes back to God.

At post #16 I'm saying you said something different, because when I say that human beings are living souls, I'm speaking about the physical human body being a living soul, and has nothing to do with the soul being some immaterial part of the human body. When you were speaking of the soul being the immaterial part of the human body you said that this immaterial part makes up the conscious part of ones being which is of thought, action, and emotion. I disagree with this and say that human beings have consciousness, thought, and emotions not because human beings have some immaterial part in their human bodies, but instead because human beings have human brains, so it's not because human beings have some immaterial part in the their human bodies that we have consciousness and thought, and emotion, but instead it's that human beings have human brains. The human brain is physical, material, tangible, and mortal. So the human brain being part of the physical human body I continue to say that it's the human physical body that is the living soul and has nothing to do with some immaterial part in the human body.
When the scriptures say that the breath/spirit goes back to God, when a human dies, I don't believe that the breath/spirit that goes back to God, means that some living soul or living person literally goes back to God.
You believe how you want as I have said all that I can give to you. You have a great day.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back