Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Photographs St. Louis Cathedral

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Barbarian

13158491253_a2818e8cc0_c.jpg

For anyone thinking now about where they would like to holiday this upcoming summer, consider St Louis, and be sure to include this cathedral on your list of 'must-see'. Absolutely stunning, with a quiet yet powerful ambiance that will bring lovely joy to your heart.

Thanks for sharing with us these gorgeous pictures, Barbarian :wave2

Thank you. There are free guided tours of the cathedral most days, and the people there are friendly and ready to talk about the wonder in which they work. Those magnificent mosaics are the work of a single pair of craftsmen, a father and a son. The father died before they could finish, and the son completed the work alone. I can't think of a better example of work as a prayer.

It's inspiring and yes, peaceful. If you're in St. Louis, check it out.

Mrs. Barbarian got the best shot, darn it.

Pictures were taken last week, actually. And yes, Mrs. Barbarian is a very accomplished photographer. Here's the facade of the Church, BTW:
13203173243_e0d4cdd601_c.jpg

And just fooling around, I did this:
13235537235_ab9a056216_c.jpg

Cross your eyes slightly, and try to merge the two images into one. It's a surprising effect.

Beautiful! Thanks, as always, for sharing. I love how the photography, both the color and the bw, present the figure of Christ as almost pure light. Very symbolic!

It's an amazing place, especially for an Iowa country boy who went to a different sort of church:
436858307_d0098f61a1_z.jpg

Sadly, the property was sold, and a new church built, so I couldn't go back to see it again.

I love how the photography, both the color and the bw, present the figure of Christ as almost pure light. Very symbolic!

The church looks remarkably Byzantine for a Catholic Cathedral. Note the lack of tall stained glass windows, and the amazing mosaics that use light and curved surfaces to suggest depth. I imagine the light on the crucifix was intentionally done, for those perceptive enough to understand it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back