Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study "Take this and share it among yourselves" Luke 22:17

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
"Take this and share it among yourselves" Luke 22:17

It is an irony to note that when science tells the nature of Universe is ever expanding, the reverse is reciprocated in the case of human minds. We are becoming more self centered and defiant to see the difficulties of others near us. Our grand parents might be able to tell us a world which is not what we see now. A world of more social interactions and togetherness. Now, we are confined to our own nuclear family and try to find false happiness by accumulating all the material wealth we can.

There is increased inequality in the world today than a decade ago. People from some of the world's poorest countries like Democratic Republic of Congo and Central African Republic are struggling hard to make enough money to eat and survive. Millions are dying yearly with malnutrition, malaria, cholera, diarrhea and war. I some countries,
more than half of the mothers delivering baby are dying on the labor room or after 2 days. On the contrary, more than half of the world's wealth are confined to 1% of rich billionaires. The people who have money craves more and those have power wants to accumulate and store.

We are in an age where there is an unprecedented exploitation environment and natural resources. Unplanned deforestation and humongous use of carbon fuels have already actuated unwanted global climate change. Alarm signals sent by scientists are casually ignored about disappearing beaches, rise of sea levels and melting of polar ice glaciers. Capitalization and globalization have more unnoticed consequences in third world countries where infants near a mining coal are dying due to metal poisoning or contaminated water. Who will responsible of the death of those people who die with hunger and without clear water?

At the time of last supper, Jesus Christ took the cup of wine and bread, gave thanks to God and said, "Take this and share it among yourselves". If we carefully notice, it is the perfect harmony of God and human, with Jesus Christ as the moderator. Jesus Christ provides the gift of God to us. He gave His own body and blood, and told to take and share among ourselves. The gift of God is not to be stagnant within ourselves, but to flow to others. The love of God is for all humans, not to a particular nation, culture, creed, race, religion or gender. A concept of world as one country and all the people as its citizens. An ideology of 'sarva-loga-kudumbam' (entire world is a family) by Mahathma Gandhi.

We have to rediscover the joy of sharing. A saint told, "when I pray, I see the whole world, the people from all the nations. I see the God provides for all the needs for the world to run daily. But, humans are selfish and not sharing these gifts to others". In the midst of modern philosophies, where else can we put Jesus Christ other than a proponent of equality and justice? Jesus is in the side of the poor, mourn, hunger and thirst. "Give to everyone who asks of you" (Luke 6:30). He want us to be the salt and light of this world (Matthew 5:13,14). It is our responsibility to serve others and keep the light burning and preserve our saltiness. We should have the eye to see the needs of the world around us and ears to hear it. We should conserve our natural resources for our future generations too. How beautiful this world will be if we do what Christ has told us to do? Let us be people who takes from God and share it with all the people around us.

Brother,
Matt. 26:11 The poor will always be with us, no matter what we do. You seem to be trying to make the case for Communism with scripture but scripture does not support it except a scripture here and there is removed from it's context and then raped. I have not been to India but unlike most Americans, I have lived for more than a year in a third world country and understand the agony.

Until you figure a way to convert the world's wealthy to Christianity, there is zero chance of a proper result because of personal greed. I was like them before I converted and since I did, by American standards, I am broke and poor. I have yet to convince a single Lost Man that the man living on the street, with no home, is among the top 10% of the World's wealthiest people.

My family still, as I prepare for death, sends money over seas but without conversion, there will never be the World you dream of for without Communism it requires that Jesus rule and that will not be until the Great Tribulation found in the Revelation is finished.

The Moderators will likely move this unless you make a good Bible Study of this string.

To me, the very verse the OP is based on supports the idea that we are to be sharing the gospel. The first communion was not a lesson in making sure everyone in the world has the same amount of money or stuff. That's not what Christ was talking about when he said "divide it among yourselves". When you don't take the verse out of context, it's obvious He was talking about His body and blood, and it was symbolic of how He would live in us through the Holy Spirit. Sure, we are to help those in need, but Luke 22:17 has nothing to do with this and nowhere does scripture support the idea that we all have to make sure everyone in the world has the same amount of money and stuff. In fact in the case of many "poor" people I see here in the US choosing to live off of welfare, food stamps, and hand outs the Bible actually tells us NOT to support them. "The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat." (2 Thess 3:10b, NIV)

To me, the very verse the OP is based on supports the idea that we are to be sharing the gospel. The first communion was not a lesson in making sure everyone in the world has the same amount of money or stuff. That's not what Christ was talking about when he said "divide it among yourselves". When you don't take the verse out of context, it's obvious he was talking about his body and blood, and it was symbolic of how He would live in us through the Holy Spirit. Sure, we are to help those in need, but Luke 22:17 has nothing to do with this and nowhere does scripture support the idea that we all have to make sure everyone in the world has the same amount of money and stuff. In fact in the case of many "poor" people I see here in the US living off of welfare and food stamps the Bible actually tells us NOT to support them. ""The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat." 2 Thess 3:10b, NIV)
Amen, brother. I was so moved by the flic, The Ugly American, in the sixties. While in the military I saw the Russians defeat us with seed and knowledge and I never understood why we throw money at issues instead of the cheap, permenant fix. Send a man a steak and he is happy today, send him starter seed and a farmer and he is content forever.

To me, the very verse the OP is based on supports the idea that we are to be sharing the gospel. The first communion was not a lesson in making sure everyone in the world has the same amount of money or stuff. That's not what Christ was talking about when he said "divide it among yourselves". When you don't take the verse out of context, it's obvious He was talking about His body and blood, and it was symbolic of how He would live in us through the Holy Spirit. Sure, we are to help those in need, but Luke 22:17 has nothing to do with this and nowhere does scripture support the idea that we all have to make sure everyone in the world has the same amount of money and stuff. In fact in the case of many "poor" people I see here in the US choosing to live off of welfare, food stamps, and hand outs the Bible actually tells us NOT to support them. "The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat." (2 Thess 3:10b, NIV)
Honestly I don't see or hear the OP saying anything about everyone having exactly the same amount of money and stuff. That is not what sharing means.
My post is based on the parable of the Good Samaritan.
Luk 10:30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
Luk 10:31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
Luk 10:34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
Luk 10:35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
Luk 10:36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
Luk 10:37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

In the OP I hear,
I hear a concern about people who are dying because they don't even have clean water to drink. What can these people do about it on their own? They can't, they are poor, they can't afford to dig wells where the water source may be hundreds of feet under the ground. This is a ministry that my husband gives to every year, through the James Robinson ministry.
We criticize people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet when they give millions and millions of dollars to help people in third world countries. Did we learn anything from the parable of the Good Samaritan? I think a lot of people just ignore that the Samaritan man was NOT one of God's chosen people and yet he did what Jesus said we should do.
And the chosen ones, they just walked on by and didn't give a care. Who did Jesus praise?

I'm just a little curious why you would think that Jesus' statement meant anything other than pass the cup around so everyone can have a sip. See what the verse reads in the KJV
Luke 22:17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back