Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Taking a Spiritual Examination

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
M

MrVersatile48

Taking a Spiritual Examination

By Micca Monda Campbell

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV)

Devotion:

I don't have a green thumb, but that doesn't keep me from trying to grow plants and flowers. This year, my sister gave me a beautiful orchid for my birthday. On the card, she joked, "Happy Birthday. Enjoy the orchid and try not to kill it."

Not wanting to disappoint my sister, I took extra care of the plant. I measured the water I gave it, marked the calendar so I'd remember when to water it again, and I even prayed over it. Caring for the plant made me consider what my life would be like if I gave this much attention to my relationship with God.

Often we neglect to care for our spiritual life. Too often we become apathetic and lazy in our faith. The result is lost passion and commitment, while self and sin thrive. Too often, we get nothing out of church. God seems far away, and freedom from bondage seems even further. I believe that these characteristics describe a Christian who is in need of a spiritual examination.

I realize that some of us are in a mess so big that we can't see a way out. Others have tried and tried to live a holy life but continue to fall short. There are also those whose faith has become stagnate, and everyday long for something more. I know. I've been there. Whether we realize it or not, we have neglected some area of our spiritual life. Our passion and power have dried up. But with God, there is always hope. He can revive us!

Our key verse tells us how. "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land" (2 Chronicles 7:14, NIV ). According to this verse, the way out of our struggle is towards God through personal revival.

What exactly is revival? As one pastor put it, revival is: "coming to life again. It's when we go from indifference to making a difference. It's when we move from being comfortably numb to being passionately committed. It's when we move from an appetite for the world and self to an appetite for God."

Friend, I want to share with you a list of characteristics of a thriving believer that I keep tucked away in my bible so that I can periodically take a spiritual assessment of myself:

We need revival when....

... when we do not love God as we once did.

... when earthly interests and occupations are more important to us than eternal ones.

...when we would rather watch TV and read secular books and magazines than read the Bible.

... when our Christianity is joyless and passionless.

... when we know truth in our heads that we are not practicing in our lives.

... when we make little effort to witness to the lost.

...when we have time for sports, recreation, and entertainment, but not for Bible study or prayer.

. . . when we do not tremble at the power of God.

On the other hand, the characteristics that take place when revival comes are...

... a deepened spiritual hunger

... intense fervent prayer that is enjoyable not dreadful

... repentance

... reckless abandonment and surrender to God

... a fresh fullness of the Holy Spirit

... spontaneous evangelism and soul winning

... restored relationships

... a spirit of thanksgiving and joy

... increased hunger for God's Word

... a desire to put God/church before entertainment

Just like any living thing, without proper care our spirits wilt. If you and I are smart, we will not neglect our faith. Daily, we will fall on our knees, confess our sin and seek God. Then, He showers down upon us fresh Holy Spirit power. Power that changes lives, restores relationships, brings healing, breaks strongholds, and enables us to live as God intends...passionate and purposeful.

Dear Lord, I confess indulging myself in pleasure and comfort. I confess a loss of passion and love for You. I have neglected my relationship with You and have lost the wonder of who You are. Oh, Lord, I cry out for forgiveness. I ask that You hear me, restore me, and heal me. I rejoice that You are the God of more than second chances. Awaken me, Lord, that I might live in righteousness again, in Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:

Who Holds the Key to Your Heart by Lysa TerKeurst

God Calling by A.J. Russell

Do You Know Him?

Application Steps:

Use the above list to take a spiritual examination of yourself. Are you in need of a fresh faith? If so, humble yourself, confess your sins, and ask God for a fresh encounter with Him that creates new life within.

Reflections:

What characteristics above reveal to you that you have neglected your spiritual life?

Which characteristics show that you are alive and growing in Christ?

Power Verses:

Read Acts 2:1-42, 46, 47 - see http://www.BibleGateway.org

Proverbs 31 Ministries

616-G, Matthews-Mint Hill Road

Matthews, NC 28105

http://www.Proverbs31.org

Acts 2

The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost

1 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.

2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.

3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.

4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.

6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

7 Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans?

8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?

9Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,

10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome

11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!"

12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean?"

13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, "They have had too much wine."

Peter Addresses the Crowd

14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: "Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say.

15 These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning!

16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 " 'In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.

18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.

19 I will show wonders in the heaven above
and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.

20 The sun will be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.

21 And everyone who calls
on the name of the Lord will be saved.'[c]

22 "Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.

23 This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men,[d] put him to death by nailing him to the cross.

24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.

25 David said about him:
" 'I saw the Lord always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.

26 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will live in hope,

27 because you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.

28 You have made known to me the paths of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence.'[e]

29 "Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day.

30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne.

31 Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ,[f] that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay.

32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact.

33 Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

34 For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,
" 'The Lord said to my Lord:
"Sit at my right hand

35 until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet." '[g]

36 "Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."

37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far offâ€â€for all whom the Lord our God will call."

40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation."

41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

The Fellowship of the Believers

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

43 Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles.

44 All the believers were together and had everything in common.

45 Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.

46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,

47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Footnotes:

Acts 2:4 Or languages; also in verse 11
Acts 2:13 Or sweet wine
Acts 2:21 Joel 2:28-32
Acts 2:23 Or of those not having the law (that is, Gentiles)
Acts 2:28 Psalm 16:8-11
Acts 2:31 Or Messiah. "The Christ" (Greek) and "the Messiah" (Hebrew) both mean "the Anointed One"; also in verse 36.
Acts 2:35 Psalm 110:1

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back