Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Talk of suicide

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I agree with everyone here and their advice. DEFINITELY contact the school counselor. They can protect your child AND the others in the school. You may tell yourself that your daughter would never do anything major like Columbine, but you just. don't. know. My 14 year old daughter was just put on medication over the weekend for ADD and she's like a new child. It's calmed her down, she's not flipping out over everything, she's not yelling, she's doing awesome in school, she's not crying like she was, etc. She was on meds years ago but we've been med free for years and it's been stressful. I would tell myself that things were ok, but when she made the comment a few times about how she'd rather be dead, I took it serious. A lot of her problems come from the fact that she struggles so bad in school and feels "stupid". I would get on her case, ground her, etc because I figured she was just being lazy (which was the case sometimes), but then I realized that she really couldn't help it a lot of the time.

When I was around age 16, I often wished I was dead. I never tried to commit suicide, but I did become a cutter for quite some time. I have been on antidepressants off and on since then and life is SO much better for me.

Please take your daughter for help. Even if it's just counseling. Also, keep in mind that she may not "click" with the first counselor and you may have to try a different one. Your daughter is hurting. I can tell just by the stuff that you've posted.

Is it possible to switch her to another school? Would she want to do that?

Sorry, but I didn't catch up on all the posts since I last read this.

Never, ever disregard threats of suicide. I believe this is especially true of kids, because of the hormones, mood swings, and the fact that they have a limited point of reference in life. Everything is HUGE to them!

My friend lives two doors down from such tragedy. Last Thursday, his neighbor's 8th grader pulled the trigger of a shotgun, and literally blew his face off. Think about all the should'ves, would'ves, and could'ves his parents will live with for the rest of their lives. I don't know them or their faith, but it can only be by the Grace of God that they come to have any peace, and that will take time. How easy will it be for both of them to fall into the depths of guilt? How easy will their marriage decay as they look at the other one with simmering contempt?

Losing a child is always horrific, but I can't imagine anything worse than having a child who takes his/her life. Make sure she knows she is deeply cared about, even if you can't honestly say you "love" her as your step-daughter. Be blessed.

as sad as this situation is, brian, at least you have a warning. we had no such warning when matthew prestridge took his life outside of a bar.

i to this day still feel that i failed him.

Yep, Brian... not to terrify you, but Viola lost a friend at school last October... Texted "see you tomorrow" to his friends Sunday night, ate breakfast with his sister Monday morning, left the breakfast table, went to his room and shot himself.

Be glad she's talking about it. Dylan's parents and sister had no clue, none of his friends did either.

Her talking about it is probably her cry for help. She wants to commit suicide, but at the same time, she doesn't or can't bring herself to do it. :sad

I really don't think she wants to commit suicide, however, I won't take it any less serious because of that.

In the last week we've had quite a breakthrough I feel. She has all of a sudden decided to dress up for school, her hygiene has improved ten fold, her attitude is more positive, and her over outlook seems good.
Now, I know this could slide at any moment, but I haven't seen this dramatic of a change before.
She has decided not to read about Comlubine anymore because it "disturbs" her, which it should.
She just seems happier right now. Her and I had a long talk about her dad. I really think her lack of attention from him is the root of her problems. Funny, because my wife had the same issues with her dad and still does to this day. I think that's what drives her.
I think she is coping with the wau her dad treats her.

Thank you all for your prayers. I will update as we go and continue to be vigilant.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back