Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Cops Setting You Up

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
"I don't know if they are allowed to send you to a Christian one."

"Teen Life Challenge" is a national ministry that has ALWAYS gotten many of it's participants from the court system. The Courts don't necessarily CARE about the religious aspect, but TLC's "Track record" is such that the Courts KNOW that the folks they send there probably won't be back.

Pardon my saying but there is a difference between innocence and naiveté.
If, for instance -- the police suspected you of a crime, you would be wise to contact a lawyer and not trust in your innocence to protect you from their skilled interrogation techniques. It's likely that they've already contacted the prosecuting attorney and as officers of the court it is their duty to serve the public interest by proving you guilty, not innocent.

What if they could make a case that had a fair chance of proving that you committed a crime (even though you were innocent) and then you were given the opportunity to plea bargain down to a lesser crime? What if you were presented with a choice between doing several years (if the jury believed them) or just doing a couple months by lying and saying that you would plead guilty to a lessor crime. It happens every day. Innocence in and of itself is not a very good defense. Hire an attorney and don't talk to them.
I don't disagree that this happens. In the broader context of my post, it was a general statement, as I also did say tht cops make mistakes, and some are corrupt. I'm not saying don't get a lawyer, but generally, if I'm innocent then I'm innocent.

Pardon my saying but there is a difference between innocence and naiveté.
If, for instance -- the police suspected you of a crime, you would be wise to contact a lawyer and not trust in your innocence to protect you from their skilled interrogation techniques. It's likely that they've already contacted the prosecuting attorney and as officers of the court it is their duty to serve the public interest by proving you guilty, not innocent.

What if they could make a case that had a fair chance of proving that you committed a crime (even though you were innocent) and then you were given the opportunity to plea bargain down to a lesser crime? What if you were presented with a choice between doing several years (if the jury believed them) or just doing a couple months by lying and saying that you would plead guilty to a lessor crime. It happens every day. Innocence in and of itself is not a very good defense. Hire an attorney and don't talk to them.

I wholly agree.

I've told both of my kids that if they are ever taken down to a police station for questioning, they are immediately to ask for a lawyer and say nothing at all until the lawyer appears.

This from someone who is admittedly "pro" police.

The right to remain silent is a fundamental right of every American and is specifically in place so that we never need answer authorities without proper representation. I know that people think "hey, I'm innocent so there is no reason why I should be afraid to talk" but, for all I think most police are basically good and are trying to do a hard job the best way they can, talking to the police at a police station, where they are controlling the environment, calling the shots and determining how long they will keep you there for questioning is a BAD idea.

Out in the field, I've taught my kids what I do myself...be calm, be respectful and be honest.

But, if they take one "downtown" the whole scenario shifts. They are only going to take someone down to the station if they have some suspicions that one is in deep. Time to "lawyer up".

nick does you country have the same law or concept as the miranda rights?it wasnt until 1960 that the idea of miranda rights was given. the 4th amendament was aroung before that but never was stated to the suspect

nick does you country have the same law or concept as the miranda rights?it wasnt until 1960 that the idea of miranda rights was given. the 4th amendament was aroung before that but never was stated to the suspect
Yes, we have miranda rights. Here is my state's version:

You are not obliged to say or do anything unless you wish to do so, but whatever you say or do may be used in evidence. Do you understand?

I watch a lot of crime TV and I mean a lot of it, and I see that Australia has some really sick crime going on also.

Just regular crime programs on cable, just not to long ago I saw the crime where these ladies killed a meth addict biker guy and took his bike apart and spread it around Australia.

Just regular crime programs on cable, just not to long ago I saw the crime where these ladies killed a meth addict biker guy and took his bike apart and spread it around Australia.
Do you mean crime fiction or reality crime?

There has been some sick crimes in Australian history. Research the movie Wolf Creek - based off true events. :o

There has been some sick crimes in Australian history. Research the movie Wolf Creek - based off true events. :o
i watched that. that is indeed sick. thus why guns rights does wonders.

No Nick real crime, I also watched a thing about a girl that was missing in Australia for many years and then was found. I saw some other crime stuff, from Australia too. The programs that I watch are stuff like The First 48, or Unsolved Mysteries and Deadly Women, 48 Hours On ID, and I Married A Mobster. Now I saw the biker meth Australian crime on the Deadly Women program. These are all real crime stuff Nick. There are also a lot of real life crime documentaries that come on American TV, and I watch them all. And it is constantly on American TV, and I mean constantly. Here some of them below Nick, you can watch some episodes in the below links. All are true stories.

Deadly Women
http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/deadly-women/

The First 48
http://www.aetv.com/the_first_48/

Unsolved Mysteries
http://www.unsolved.com/

I Married A Mobster
http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/i-married-a-mobster/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all cops are good/bad
Not all priests are good/bad
not all teachers are good/bad

These groups are all made up of people and not all people are good not all people are bad.

The 3 listed above among others, have been placed in positions of some form of authority. IMHO this gives the groups cause, reason, responsibility, to check, police, watch, their own. Sadly it does not seem like they do....

Times when i have call the cops some have been good some bad. Maybe it is the nature of all people but from my experiences country cops are more relaxed than city cops.

A friend was living with us because her husband beat her ETC. One of the many times he was in jail she was to be notified when he got out.... Mr Green was his PO she tried to reach him over and over because she could feel Mike watching her...Mr G was always out. He was playing ball with the kids (a part of the job) He had just went to check on some one. he had not yet arrived just left . so i got upset...I started making phone calls I happened to be cleaning homes and was working for a congresswomen, she sent me to the mayor...to the police chief then pay dirt. I get sent to Sgt Grearson of IA. He said just tell em I told ya to call. So i called back to Mr Greens office this man that could not be reached called back with in minutes. Yes Mike had been cut loose and they had not told her.....
Some cops are good some are not like every body else. The only cop i know personally is a good one.

No Nick real crime, I also watched a thing about a girl that was missing in Australia for many years and then was found. I saw some other crime stuff, from Australia too. The programs that I watch are stuff like The First 48, or Unsolved Mysteries and Deadly Women, 48 Hours On ID, and I Married A Mobster. Now I saw the biker meth Australian crime on the Deadly Women program. These are all real crime stuff Nick. There are also a lot of real life crime documentaries that come on American TV, and I watch them all. And it is constantly on American TV, and I mean constantly. Here some of them below Nick, you can watch some episodes in the below links. All are true stories.

Deadly Women
Deadly Women : Investigation Discovery

The First 48
The First 48 - Episodes, Video & Schedule - aetv.com

Unsolved Mysteries
Unsolved Mysteries

I Married A Mobster
I Married A Mobster : Investigation Discovery

I forgot to add Cold Case Files

Cold Case Files
Cold Case Files - A&E TV

For the record I am decidedly pro police here. We know that no authority exists without God and that lawlessness is essentially anti-God behavior, but I'm not talking about a couple "corrupt" individuals but instead trying to address the concept that innocence means something.

The police are officers of the court involved in a system where the "public interest" is their first and foremost duty. They work in conjunction with prosecuting attorneys in order to form a legal case against those whom they SUSPECT of wrongful behavior. Simply chatting with a friendly police officer (while being investigated) will harm you. They want to be able to place you at the scene. They are trained to know that you're lying and if you say that you saw something while trying to help, they hear that you, as a suspect, have placed yourself at the scene.

Your efforts to help have made their case against you stronger. It's not television where the detectives try to "solve" the case but instead there is an attorney behind the scenes who is concerned with conviction rates. Plea bargaining means convictions and innocence doesn't come into it at all. The only thing they are doing is trying to increase their chances of being able to convict their suspect.

Now, that's not to say that one should not help but it must be done with wisdom and my best advice would be to hire an attorney before anything else. They have full time attorney's working against you, making it an unfair playing field without such precaution. How would you like it if your state appointed attorney said to you, "Listen, I have a murder case, a rapist and 3 assault cases that I'm defending this month and that doesn't leave much time for you."

"I wish you would have talked to me before you spoke to them."

Lewis W ,

Do you watch TV at my house?

Sparrow,

Those guys are only after the truth. :help Some how 'fair' has come to mean getting off at any cost.

Lewis W ,

Do you watch TV at my house?

Sparrow,

Those guys are only after the truth. :help Some how 'fair' has come to mean getting off at any cost.
I disagree. They are supposed to be after the truth, yes but in the real world they already know that you (and every other suspect) lie. They weigh the possibility of conviction and are not on the side of the suspect; innocence is an intangible and immeasurable quantity that can not be relied on while being investigated. In point of fact, they rely on your innocence and use it as a tactic. "Why won't you answer my questions? Do you have something to hide?"

Jesus is innocent.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back