Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Death Of Windows

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Apple Sounds the PC Death Knell

If Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, gets his way, the PC could be on its last legs.

For over two years now, Mr. Jobs and other Apple executives have been pushing the concept of a “post-PC era†where most people no longer have, or need, traditional computers and instead engage with the digital world though iPhones, iPods and iPads.

Although the company has been discussing this concept for some time, it has not offered a solution to ditch the PC and go completely mobile. Apple iOS mobile device still needed a PC to transfer or back up music, photos, videos and other files.

Until now, that is.

On Monday, during a presentation in San Francisco to showcase its new software and services, Apple finally began giving people the option to bypass a PC altogether.

“We are going to demote the PC to just be a device. We are going to move the digital hub, the center of your digital life, into the cloud,†Mr. Jobs said.

Once these new services begin later this fall, people who buy an iOS device can fully get by without a computer. They will no longer need to plug an iOS device into a PC to activate it; iCloud will automatically sync and backup people’s photos, music and documents. All software will be updated over the Internet.

With Monday’s announcement’s, Apple is reiterating the irrelevance of the personal computer that Mr. Jobs helped invent 30 years ago.

But where is the PC going to go? There has obviously been some argument about Apple’s computerless society theory, with many saying the traditional computer isn’t going the way of the dodo, but instead will become a secondary device to mobile gadgetry.

Apple also can’t believe the PC is going away completely. If the company did see this future, they would not have also announced updates to the Mac OS X software on Monday.

Scott Forstall, the senior vice president of iOS software, summed up the company’s belief during the conference saying that “We are living in a post PC world.†Mr. Forstall noted that a number of iPad owners don’t even have a PC in their home. â€Now, if you want to cut the cord, you can,†he said.

For Mr. Jobs, who has likened the PC to a pickup truck used only for work, it really could be the beginning of the end for the home computer.
nytimes.com

As usual... Apple is five years behind and yet still tries to demand that they are at the cutting edge.

Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Sun, and a few Linux distros have had cloud support for nearly a half decade now! Apple just likes to make wild claims about their "new technology". Microsoft started the cloud-craze when their new CEO came into power. Unlike Apple (and this is by no means a defense of M$) Microsoft doesn't make promises until they are ready to actually fulfill them.

I think Steve Jobs is right (not defending his products per se, just the idea). The technology has advanced far enough now that even "Hard drives" are becoming memories on chips and "floppy" and "DVD drives" or anything that use to be mechanical will be replaced (as it already is being replaced) by removable media like the memory stick. Portable as well as stationary desk computers will simply have another port to expand the memory for removable stuff. In short, no more moving parts but all electronic chips for the Microprocessors, the RAM, permanent memory, removable memory and various other chipsets for the I/O.

As for Microsoft, everyone here knows or should know how I feel about them now. Excessive viruses aside that barely plague the other OS's, they fell from my graces since the introduction of XP because the new OS would not support most of the older hardware and they left people stranded. In addition, being an old "DOS man" I actually had a better feel for Windows 98SE because that was a real command prompt that "did not challenge you or ask too many questions". Not the pretend one that XP and onward has. I loved windows 98SE and held on to it as long as I could up to about 2006 I was forced to switch over to XP which I still have and with a bad feeling for yet ---- and like politicians, they promise better and better but don't deliver, especially something like Vista was such as fiasco.

I think Jobs is correct, though. The computer world is going to go portable, and like I stated, "less moving parts". And Apple does have the market there. Linux OS and those like it will tag along IMO. Microsoft will bite the dust soon, and not soon enough for me.

Apple Sounds the PC Death Knell

If Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, gets his way, the PC could be on its last legs.

Seriously forcing people to try something besides windows would be such a good thing. It would cripple the efforts of those who make viruses and also the money they make selling the scanners.
it would probably be a nice break for peoples brains just to be able to turn your computer on without the threat of virus attack or all the other nightmare stuff windows is prone to. Be it OSX, a linux distribution, BSD or UNIX do yourself a favor and change.

Mac is best outside of windows for those not so computer literate. Its probably easier than windows.

How to use a mac
turn on
use for a month with no maintenance or virus scanners

clean caches with free program.
whole months maintenance over takes about 20 seconds.
Everything just works!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found Ubuntu to be easier than OSX. The newest build is pretty much as idiot proof as Windows and it is more flexible than Apple. The current .iso images of it come with an extensive program library so basic computer users wouldn't even have to worry about installing programs.

Only thing is that most computers these days are not built to be compatible with anything except Windows. I had to manually force by Toshiba to take a custom BIOS in order to run Linux on it because the normal BIOS it comes with refuses to communicate with Linux, meaning no fan...

I found Ubuntu to be easier than OSX. The newest build is pretty much as idiot proof as Windows and it is more flexible than Apple. The current .iso images of it come with an extensive program library so basic computer users wouldn't even have to worry about installing programs.

Only thing is that most computers these days are not built to be compatible with anything except Windows. I had to manually force by Toshiba to take a custom BIOS in order to run Linux on it because the normal BIOS it comes with refuses to communicate with Linux, meaning no fan...
Linux is awesome I have gotten lazy I think I just buy those Apple things and the devices all just work together with a minimum of fuss. I remember scouring the net for drivers for hours to make things talk together, lol cant be bothered anymore. getting older running out of time.

You understand the joy of leaving windows behind

Last edited by a moderator:
I will nevr buy a brand name computer. I prefer to buy separate components and slap them together myself.

I just DO NOT like proprietary systems. :bigfrown

Ditto. I usually buy something premade and then "fix" it. It's easier that way, for me. Unfortunately, laptops are another matter. :bigfrown

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back