Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Kingdom Suffers Violence.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Chopper

Matthew 11:12 "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force."

Now, this is a very interesting verse of Scripture that I've often pondered without a real understanding of just what, exactly, was going on here. a brief study has revealed a few facts to my mind and I hope others here can add some info.

As a background, Israel had not heard a Prophet speak for 400 years. John the Baptist comes out of nowhere and preaches repentance from sins and holds a Baptism in the River Jordan. Historians say that John preached at least a year before Jesus the Son of God makes His appearance.

I think we have to discover the scene here. The Jews were so moved by this new Prophet that the crowds were continually hard pressing John for anything that resembled the Kingdom of God. Some of these people were so buffeted by their world and sick of the Roman rule that if possible, they would have tried to seize entrance into the Kingdom by force.

Others were drawn to John out of a deep love for YHWH and pressed hard on John for what ever he had to give them. I imagine they thought, Ok, the Kingdom is about to come, I'd better be Baptized and repent of all my sins before the Kingdom comes and I miss it.

Then we have Israel's Leaders. They pretty much opposed anything that was out side of their little minds as to just how the Kingdom would come. I suppose they thought of God coming Himself and destroying their oppressors and setting Israel free to enjoy their promised Land forever. John the Baptist just didn't fit into their expectations, therefore they fought against it and Herod, with a violent hand killed the Prophet.

There is a sense that for the miracles of the Christ to enter and change a lost sinner, there was an element of violence. Here were wicked sinners, prostitutes, thief's and the like who were so stuck in their ways that It would take an act of Holy violence to enter their hearts to change them.

I hope this spurs some of you to research a little to add your perspective to this verse. I'm sure that I missed some important elements of this important historical event and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Matthew 11:12 "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force."
Those who would be saved find themselves in a constant battle with the lusts of the flesh and the temptations of the devil.
Rom 7:21-23 (RSV) So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin which dwells in my members.
Thus Paul portrays the life of the Christian as one of constant warfare being waged against him by the striving of the flesh to make him a captive to sin. We are at war with sin and we defeat it by smashing it with the power of His might. (Over and over and again and again because the devil never gives up)

Your post reminds me of another bit of scripture:
Mat 16:16-18 (KJV) And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar Jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
At the time of Jesus, (and up until the development of cannon artillery) cities had walls built around them to protect them from armies that came to conquer and plunder. Those walls might be 20 or more feet thick but the weakest point of the wall was the gate. There the "wall" was only as thick as the gate. And, because the gate was weaker than the wall, the builders would put towers and defensive structures around the gates to make it very difficult for an army to even get close to the gate. By doing so, the gates became strong points in the walls.

When Jesus said that the gates of Hades would not prevail against the church, the assumption was that the church would be assaulting those gates to batter them down and set free those held captive to sin by the preaching of the Gospel, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God."

Preaching may not seem like a violent activity but consider the devil's responses.
John 16:2 (RSV) They will put you out of the synagogues; indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God.
Mat 10:17-22 (RSV) Beware of men; for they will deliver you up to councils, and flog you in their synagogues, and you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear testimony before them and the Gentiles.
When they deliver you up, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
Brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved
When you take up your cross and follow Jesus you take up the instrument of your death.

iakov the fool

By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that may result from said reading. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. Enjoy the rest of your life.

Those who would be saved find themselves in a constant battle with the lusts of the flesh and the temptations of the devil.
Rom 7:21-23 (RSV) So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin which dwells in my members.
Thus Paul portrays the life of the Christian as one of constant warfare being waged against him by the striving of the flesh to make him a captive to sin. We are at war with sin and we defeat it by smashing it with the power of His might. (Over and over and again and again because the devil never gives up)

Mat 16:16-18 (KJV) And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar Jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
At the time of Jesus, (and up until the development of cannon artillery) cities had walls built around them to protect them from armies that came to conquer and plunder. Those walls might be 20 or more feet thick but the weakest point of the wall was the gate. There the "wall" was only as thick as the gate. And, because the gate was weaker than the wall, the builders would put towers and defensive structures around the gates to make it very difficult for an army to even get close to the gate. By doing so, the gates became strong points in the walls.

When Jesus said that the gates of Hades would not prevail against the church, the assumption was that the church would be assaulting those gates to batter them down and set free those held captive to sin by the preaching of the Gospel, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God."

Preaching may not seem like a violent activity but consider the devil's responses.
John 16:2 (RSV) They will put you out of the synagogues; indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God.
Mat 10:17-22 (RSV) Beware of men; for they will deliver you up to councils, and flog you in their synagogues, and you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear testimony before them and the Gentiles.
When they deliver you up, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
Brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved
When you take up your cross and follow Jesus you take up the instrument of your death.

iakov the fool

By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that may result from said reading. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. Enjoy the rest of your life.

So very true my friend. Thank you for that very accurate reply. That adds vital instruction into this thread.

The kingdom of heaven has always suffered violent attacks as it is always challenged by Satan using his messengers in the flesh of man to kill the prophets and silent the words of God. Malachi, being the last prophet of the OT, gave a warning and prophecy of God sending them another Elijah to the Jews. After they returned to Jerusalem after the Babylonian exile, Malachi 4:4-6. Jerusalem was still under Medo-Persian Empire leadership, but God gave them instruction to rebuild the temple and establish the law and the priesthood of Aaron's lineage. They gave up worshipping idols, but there was a problem though as when they returned they were mistreating their wives, marrying pagans and not paying their tithe. The priest were neglecting the temple and not teaching the ways of God giving dishonor to God. The warning Malachi gave them was that if they did not return back to God He would curse their land, 2Chronicles 7:14.

Because Israel refused to hear Malachi God cut himself off from them for 400 years until the prophecy of the coming Elijah in that of John the baptist was fulfilled. Again the kingdom of heaven suffered violence in that of the beheading of John the baptist by the hands that Satan used. Many of the prophets including that of Jesus were taken by force and killed. The only difference is that God raised Christ from the dead and He lives ever more in the hearts of those who had ears to hear and accepted His teachings. The kingdom of heaven will always suffer violence for the sake of Christ as in all the martyrs of the past and until the great and terrible day of the Lord when Christ returns and God makes an end to all violence.

The kingdom of heaven has always suffered violent attacks as it is always challenged by Satan using his messengers in the flesh of man to kill the prophets and silent the words of God. Malachi, being the last prophet of the OT, gave a warning and prophecy of God sending them another Elijah to the Jews. After they returned to Jerusalem after the Babylonian exile, Malachi 4:4-6. Jerusalem was still under Medo-Persian Empire leadership, but God gave them instruction to rebuild the temple and establish the law and the priesthood of Aaron's lineage. They gave up worshipping idols, but there was a problem though as when they returned they were mistreating their wives, marrying pagans and not paying their tithe. The priest were neglecting the temple and not teaching the ways of God giving dishonor to God. The warning Malachi gave them was that if they did not return back to God He would curse their land, 2Chronicles 7:14.

Because Israel refused to hear Malachi God cut himself off from them for 400 years until the prophecy of the coming Elijah in that of John the baptist was fulfilled. Again the kingdom of heaven suffered violence in that of the beheading of John the baptist by the hands that Satan used. Many of the prophets including that of Jesus were taken by force and killed. The only difference is that God raised Christ from the dead and He lives ever more in the hearts of those who had ears to hear and accepted His teachings. The kingdom of heaven will always suffer violence for the sake of Christ as in all the martyrs of the past and until the great and terrible day of the Lord when Christ returns and God makes an end to all violence.

Glory Girl, in my book, your post is a Home Run!! Very well thought out and presented. Very truthful and to the point. Thank you so much for your wonderful addition to this thread.

iakov the fool

Matthew 16 is one that I thought of too. Thanks, great post.

It was mostly the common people who turned to Christ when they saw His miracles and heard His words. They were the ones that others looked down as not being as good as they were, as worthy as the priestly and rabbinical sort. If the leaders had believed who He was, they would have done anything to keep Him to themselves and away from people like the blind man at the gate. God forbid that He should pray for the Samaritan woman at the well, or even worse the Gentile woman with the sick daughter.
The woman with the issue of blood and this Gentile woman stand out to me as pressing in to the Kingdom and out of their respective prisons. They were willingly to risk it all. "But Lord, even the little puppies eat from the Master's table."

Matthew 16 is one that I thought of too. Thanks, great post.

It was mostly the common people who turned to Christ when they saw His miracles and heard His words. They were the ones that others looked down as not being as good as they were, as worthy as the priestly and rabbinical sort. If the leaders had believed who He was, they would have done anything to keep Him to themselves and away from people like the blind man at the gate. God forbid that He should pray for the Samaritan woman at the well, or even worse the Gentile woman with the sick daughter.
The woman with the issue of blood and this Gentile woman stand out to me as pressing in to the Kingdom and out of their respective prisons. They were willingly to risk it all. "But Lord, even the little puppies eat from the Master's table."

Your post reminded me of how many Churches even attack the kingdom of heaven as they would never allow what they would call the misfits of society to even enter through their doors. Lip service to God is a great attack against the kingdom of heaven as those who are turned away some might never seek the kingdom of heaven again and those accountable only have the lake of fire to look forward to even if they do not see it coming.

We have a Church in our area that would not allow a certain group of teenagers through their door because they dressed Goth and had tattoos. They claimed these kids would be a bad influence on their children so they came to the Church we once had and all of them gave their lives to the Lord. Their children should have been a good influence on them.

Jesus employs women as examples of faith a lot in the Gospels. The woman with the issue of blood was "unclean" according to the Law of Moses. By the social standards of the day she had no business being in the mob of people crowding around Jesus because she would be a source of defilement to whomever she touched. She was risking a beating at the hands of the mob by just being there.
The gentile woman whose daughter was possessed also violated social mores by boldly addressing a man. She was seen as an overly bold and obnoxious annoyance by Jesus' disciples but He knew the depth of her faith and used her as an object lesson for them.
Both these women were bold and persistent in coming to Jesus to get what they needed.
Jesus used the parable of the widow and the judge to demonstrate how we should boldly go to the Father to ask for what we need and to persist even to the point of what would be considered obnoxious and annoying to society.

iakov the fool

Back