Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Lost Books of the Bible and The Forgotten Books of Eden.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
F

Farquad_37

Hey everybody...I'm not really new here, just haven't been here in quite a while...Soo...hi! :-D

Anyway, I'm reading a book now, as the title says, called The Lost Books of the Bible and The Forgotten Books of Eden. It's essentially a collection of books that were rejected by the Nicene Council when the Bible was made in 500 AD, such as the Protevangelion, the Gospel of Peter, the letters between Pontius Pilate and Herod, the Testaments of the twelve sons of Issac, and so on. I've only read a very small portion the collection so far, but I was wondering if any of you have read them and have any input on them. Of course, I've been reading them skeptically, as I'm not sure why all of them were rejected as cannon. Just thought I'd get some opinions on this. :)

Re: The Lost Books of the Bible and The Forgotten Books of E

Farquad_37 said:
Hey everybody...I'm not really new here, just haven't been here in quite a while...Soo...hi! :-D

Anyway, I'm reading a book now, as the title says, called The Lost Books of the Bible and The Forgotten Books of Eden. It's essentially a collection of books that were rejected by the Nicene Council when the Bible was made in 500 AD, such as the Protevangelion, the Gospel of Peter, the letters between Pontius Pilate and Herod, the Testaments of the twelve sons of Issac, and so on. I've only read a very small portion the collection so far, but I was wondering if any of you have read them and have any input on them. Of course, I've been reading them skeptically, as I'm not sure why all of them were rejected as cannon. Just thought I'd get some opinions on this. :)

The book you spoke of are not “Lost†they were not canonized for obvious reasons.

This is what carm.org has to say about the “lost booksâ€Â…just check out the link: Lost Books

Hi there!

Actually to you and for anyone else's reading ... I believe all the books that you would find in this book are online here....

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

And, there is always a reason why a manuscript was not included in the canonized test of The Holy Bible, either the author is unknown and the information is "spurious" or there might be known error in the text.

That does not mean that one would not benefit from reading some of these materials which are beneficial for learning the culture and other definitions of words for the time they were written, but, they are not inspired, and I would not recommend them for new Christians who are just beginning to study the true Word of God.

~serapha~

Noctornul summed it up pretty well.

The books weren't "lost", thats just a marketing ploy being used by the author/publisher.

There are numerous reasons, and many of them are well documented of why they were excluded. That being said, I'm not saying that we can't gain insight from reading them. But we can't take them as cannon or with the purity we associate the books contained within the Bible. However with out a firm foundation in the Bible, reading them may be more dangerous than helpful.

I'm particularly fond of the Book of Enoch, but again, in no way would I state that it should be completely embraced like the Scriptures.

Oh, Noctornul, cool beans! I like carm :)

With luv
-Sara

Lost Books

Hello-

Though I am new to this forum, I am not a new Christian. I have studied and read several of the "Lost Books". One of the comments I read was that these books are not inspired. I think that is an assumption that is hard to back up. For example, the bible says that Enoch walked with God, and that he was not for God took him. I would be hard pressed to say that most if not all of what Enoch wrote was not inspired by God.

The priests and scholars who put together the texts which we hold dear as inspired scriptures, where just as you and I, human beings. The 66 books that we read daily I do agree are inspired by God, but of all the writings that were available and picked through, many were changed, passages left out, re-worded, and some dumped completely. Some writings were considered heresy, blasphemy, and many writings just didn't fit in with the traditions of the church. When these writings were translated into the King's English, words and phrases were altered, for many different reasons. (Compare the Hebrew to the English!)

It is important to remember that the books contained in our Bibles were put together 500 years after Christ was resurrected. Just look at the ways that the Church had gotten off track in just a few short decades after Christ's death and resurrection-(read the things that Paul wrote)

To say that God can only speak to us through the bible is putting a limit on God's ability to speak to His people. There are still Apostles, Prophets, Evangelist, Preachers and Teachers.

What writings do you think Christ Studied? He was in the temple listening to the scholars and teachers before He was a teen. There was not a canonized bible and there were more writings than just the Torah. There were many writings prior to Moses! Just read the Torah - The first five books of the bible as written by Moses. Throughout the Old Testament several references are made to different writings and books that were studied by generations prior to Moses.

Well intentioned men put together the Bible, but when you read in the bible 2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. - Remember it says ALL scripture, and the word scripture is the greek word graphe whichs is defined in Strongs as
1) a writing, thing written

2) the Scripture, used to denote either the book itself, or its contents

3) a certain portion or section of the Holy Scripture

:angel:

Don't be too quick to discount any of the early writings. God can and will give you a discerning spirit, and just like when reading the Word, it is alive and it will speak to you.

Praise the Lord!!!

Paula

A very good book I am reading at the moment is Hidden Gospels: How the Search for Jesus Lost its Way, by Philip Jenkins. He shows how the arguments used by the Jesus Seminar and people such as Elaine Pagels to support other gospels and texts have no foundation whatsoever. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in debunking such claims

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back