Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The New Monasticism Continues

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
M

MrVersatile48

The New Monasticism Continues
The Door interviews Shane Claiborne.
Rob Moll

When I saw that Shane Claiborne's book The Irresistible Revolution was being released on audio, I wasn't surprised. It was a good read; Shane's an interesting character.

But I was surprised when I saw the catalog's ad copy that read something like "The revolution continues, and now it's available on MP3." How can these guys continue their critique of consumer Christianity when they're hawking their goods like this? I thought.

I was relieved then, when I saw The Wittenburg Door's interview with Claiborne in its May/June issue...

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctliveblog/

Ian

Behold... :o

I bring you glad tidings of great joy...
:multi:

The Wittenburg Door

Called by some the Mad Magazine of religion, The Door is filled with cartoons, goofy articles and pointed interviews that are sure to offend ...

http://www.wittenburgdoor.com - 3k - Cached - More pages from this site

The Wittenburg Door Insider Newsletter

Our May/June issue of The Wittenburg Door magazine is out! ... Subscribe to The Wittenburg Door magazine... Order the first 30 years (180 issues) of ...

http://www.wittenburgdoor.com/newsletter/index.html - 17k - Cached - More pages from this site

===============================================================

Do ya think they need freelancers, Steve? 8-)

OOPS!! :oops:

Having clicked both links, I'd best post 2 Peter 3 & Psalm 1 ... :angel:

Ian :-D

2 Peter 3

The Day of the Lord

1 Dear friends, this is now my second letter to you. I have written both of them as reminders to stimulate you to wholesome thinking.

2 I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.

3 First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.

4 They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation."

5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.

6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.

7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

10But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.[a]

11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives
12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.

That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat.

13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.

14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.

15 Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.

16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

17 Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.

18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

Footnotes:

2 Peter 3:10 Some manuscripts be burned up
2 Peter 3:12 Or as you wait eagerly for the day of God to come

Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.

2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.

4 Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.

5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.

Re:

MrVersatile48 said:

Behold... :o

I bring you glad tidings of great joy...
:multi:

The Wittenburg Door

Called by some the Mad Magazine of religion, The Door is filled with cartoons, goofy articles and pointed interviews that are sure to offend ...

http://www.wittenburgdoor.com - 3k - Cached - More pages from this site

The Wittenburg Door Insider Newsletter

Our May/June issue of The Wittenburg Door magazine is out! ... Subscribe to The Wittenburg Door magazine... Order the first 30 years (180 issues) of ...

http://www.wittenburgdoor.com/newsletter/index.html - 17k - Cached - More pages from this site

===============================================================

Do ya think they need freelancers, Steve? 8-)

OOPS!! :oops:

Having clicked both links, I'd best post 2 Peter 3 & Psalm 1 ... :angel:

Ian :-D

I hope so!! I love being offended!!!! :-D (And sometimes being offensive!! :-D Right, vic? :biggrin )

Re: Re:

Steve said:
I hope so!! I love being offended!!!! :-D (And sometimes being offensive!! :-D Right, vic? :biggrin )
[attachment=0:9abee]groucho.gif[/attachment:9abee]

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back