Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Psychology of Facebook

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Danus

Do you have a Facebook account? I do. I've had my FB account now for about two years.

I live away. What I mean by that is, I live away from where I grew up. In fact I've lived a few places away from other places I've spent time living, getting to know people; Distant family, or people I've gone to church with, school, work around, or just lived near.

At first I thought it would be cool to find old friends and share some photos with my family, but admittedly I'm curious about others I've known in life. What are they up to? Are they married? Do they have kids? Where are they living? I bet Ol' Rick is in jail or something. I wonder if Lisa is still hot, or did she just get fat? ....Hey I'm being honest! ;)

Soon after building my account I started connecting with people I've not seen or spoken to in 20 years or more. Wow! Cool. I spent time messaging my old friends, even called a few and talked on the phone..."remember that time? Ha ha ha...."...ah catching up.

I began to introduce my wife to these people I knew, but only on Facebook. I'd tell her about each one and how I knew them and what they are doing now, and she'd pretend to listen, and I'd get this feeling as if all this mattered.

I still have my Facebook account, and for some reason I check it daily. I like to see what people post. Sometimes I'll post something or comment on someone else's post. Pictures are the best. People show photos of their vacations, kid's, pets, and stuff they own, and I do the same. I've noticed to, that people's profile photo's tend to tell a story about who they are, or who they want others to think they are.

I like to use a photo of my family (Me,Wife and kids) as my profile photo. Some people use cartoon chartreuse, or cars, or just their own kids, or pets.

Then there are those "status updates"...."I'm going to the store today"...or ....."please pray for my family we lost uncle Cecil today he was 98." I mean COME ON!

Sometimes people will make political statements, or share some wise saying or biblical scripture. I have one friend I hardly knew in high school who often post pictures of food he's prepared and is about to eat. He's not a chief and he must only weigh about 160 lbs.

Then I have a childhood friend who is the CEO of company he founded. He does not post much but when he does it's a photo of his 3100 sq ft cabin, his awesome boat, his worldly vacations, how great life and his company is and a few pics of his kids here and there.

I have about 128 "friends" although some are accounts that never finished getting started and others are just attached to me so that they can continue building their own empires of 800 to 3000 friends. I have two gay friends that like to let everyone know about being gay. I have several divorced friends who spill their troubles out for all to see. I have a lot of Christian friends who want everyone to know what great people they are and the wonderful things they do to further the kingdom of God. I'm friends with Kids of friends...for some reason. I'm friends with co-workers who I'd otherwise rather not know, and admittedly I'm friends with old girlfriends who I did not have the heart to not accept the request of. :sad. One of my friends likes to buy things and tell about it even though he's filed bankruptcy. .....Why all this?

I think the answer is validation and significance. I think the underline message people are saying on Facebook is I am significant please validate my existence.

My wife hardly ever get's on FB. Many of her friends are my friends and sometimes they leave me messages for her. :lol

I use FB to communicate, "Hey David! you and the wife coming over this weekend?" Who needs a phone?

Do you have a FB account? What do you use it for? What are some of the things you've noticed about others?

Interesting subject...

Having read your comments, I do agree very much so, that it is used for the purpose of 'Look, I'm liked' or 'I have so many people interested in me'. Facebook seems to have taken over the world. Some points to it are bad and take the focus away of what life is really about, but in some ways, it's fabulous.

For example, spreading the word of God across the globe is much quicker through Facebook and many other social networking sites, as well as sharing inspirations and daily 'lifts'.

I use Facebook every day, like yourself, but mainly to speak of Jesus Christ and share informative and educational videos about the Bible and Scriptures as well as communicating with my friends and followers for what I do and how I incorporate Christ.

Some people like it, some people don't!

However, I very rarely use it on a personal front.. Not quite sure why, but I think using it for a purpose is better than just for the sake of it.

Thanks for the subject :)

I use it as a way to talk about the Word of God and keep in touch with other believers, because there really are not many in my school that I know, as well as my friends in general. Also, to keep in check with various groups. I'm president of our Christian club here, so I am using as of this year to keep the group updated, provide resources, etc., particularly because it's the only way I can massively contact all of them at once. And my fencing team has a page too, but it seems that the purpose of me checking that is a self-punishment tool. xP

I deleted mine. An ex-girlfriend (during my short-lived heterosexual phase) set it up for and told me to get on it so I could "stay in the loop." I soon realized I didn't want to be in the loop.

Its weird. I'm not a pretentious person, but I started making sure that my favorite books and favorite music groups were "cool" or sufficiently "indie" for my peers. I realized I was doing a little too much image management and not enough actual personal development, and plus I moved away and wanted to start all over, so I deleted it over a year ago.

Now that I'm older, maybe I'll get back on. I'm still afraid I'd be too open or manipulate my persona to appeal to people too much. I'm also concerned about having my information--including pictures--out in cyberspace. Just not cool.

Yes, I've got one. (bearing in mind that I'm 19) I have many school friends, church friends, old aquaintences, family and other people i've just met, along with some here from CF. That totals quite a lot of friends, actually.

I use Facebook daily, keeping in touch. Often things are organised through facebook. I find it's great to see how others are going, and for keeping in touch. I made some friends overseas when I was in Europe earlier this year and facebook is great for keeping in touch.

However....I need to keep myself in check, making sure that i"m not spending too long on it, "stalking people" or being pretentious about what I put up there and my attitude to how many friends, posts or photos I have. It can be difficult sometimes, but used wisely, facebook can be a great tool. Used unwisely, facebook can lead you away from God.

:twocents

Back