Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study "They left everything and followed Him" Luke 5:11

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
"They left everything and followed Him" Luke 5:11

Following Jesus is a big challenge for all Christians. Ironically, following the footsteps of Jesus Christ is the first definition of Christianity. Historical records show us that many people who believed in Jesus left everything in search of Him, preach gospel to poor and more importantly Love them like the way Jesus Christ have loved.

Why a young girl from a rich family in Kerala, leave everything and live like a tribal in Central India? She (Mercy Mathew), nick named as Daya Bai is a social worker, now fighting for the privileges of tribal people. She rejected her house, relatives, all the pleasures of this life and suffered heavy atrocities from the hands of authorities. She became one among them and even wears the traditional tribal cloths. A real proponent of theology of liberation and advocate of Christ's love.

When we picturize the beginning of Luke chapter 5, we can see the beach Gennesaret, where Jesus used one of the two boats as a platform to address the audience. After the speech, Jesus Christ calls the owner of the boat, Simon to catch fish in the deep sea. Simon, even though reluctant, agrees to obey the words of Jesus Christ and strangely, Simon and his friends got huge amount of fish. This miracle makes Simon to realize that he is a sinful man and tells Jesus to leave him. But, Jesus replies him back commending that he will be catching men from then. After that, Simon and all his friends leave everything they have and followed Jesus.

Why people leave everything and follow Jesus? What is the literal meaning of 'leaving everything'? How much theological relevance is given for the self rejection in Christianity? Or, to what we have to follow now in the current world, where we cannot physically find Jesus? There are varying levels of questions posed by Christians. The more serious issue for the followers of Christ is to face the words of Jesus Christ himself. He says plainly, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me" (Luke 9:23, Mark 8:34). He also says "Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me" (Matthew 10:38, Luke 14:27).

Self rejection has profound importance for the discipleship of Christ. All those who left in the name of Christ have found something much much more valuable than their life itself. And that treasure is hidden to the wise and the intelligent (Matthew 11:25). For the people who doesn't understand the essence of Christ (bible denotes them as those who are perishing), following Christ or His words are foolishness (1 Corinthians 1:18). Jesus Christ also compare it as a seed which dies and produce much fruit (John 12:24). This self rejection is a prerequisite to live in the fullness of Christ itself. Jesus Christ says, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love" (John 15:10) and the commandment of Jesus Christ is "that you love one another, just as I have loved you" (John 15:12).

If we are followers of Christ, we are obliged to follow His commandment. Jesus's commandment of Love is the fundamental foundation of Christian life. "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13). This is an ideology of selflessness and inclusiveness. An ideology of non-violence and humaneness. An ideology of not being served, but serve and lay down the life for others. A character to find happiness in the smile of others. We have the promise from Christ to those who follow Him. "He who has lost his life for My sake will find it" (Matthew 10:39).

Just as an aside, did you happen to notice that within about a week of Jesus being crucified, those boys had a boat, nets, the whole works, and were out fishing again? Not to mention that they somehow had a place to gather where Jesus appeared to them.... AND, they were able to hire the Upper Room for a big gathering.

I'm thinking they arranged to have someone keeping their businesses going while they were out on the road..... otherwise, they would not have been doing right by their families nor Jewish law.

Last edited:
"They left everything and followed Him" Luke 5:11

Following Jesus is a big challenge for all Christians. Ironically, following the footsteps of Jesus Christ is the first definition of Christianity. Historical records show us that many people who believed in Jesus left everything in search of Him, preach gospel to poor and more importantly Love them like the way Jesus Christ have loved.

Why a young girl from a rich family in Kerala, leave everything and live like a tribal in Central India? She (Mercy Mathew), nick named as Daya Bai is a social worker, now fighting for the privileges of tribal people. She rejected her house, relatives, all the pleasures of this life and suffered heavy atrocities from the hands of authorities. She became one among them and even wears the traditional tribal cloths. A real proponent of theology of liberation and advocate of Christ's love.

When we picturize the beginning of Luke chapter 5, we can see the beach Gennesaret, where Jesus used one of the two boats as a platform to address the audience. After the speech, Jesus Christ calls the owner of the boat, Simon to catch fish in the deep sea. Simon, even though reluctant, agrees to obey the words of Jesus Christ and strangely, Simon and his friends got huge amount of fish. This miracle makes Simon to realize that he is a sinful man and tells Jesus to leave him. But, Jesus replies him back commending that he will be catching men from then. After that, Simon and all his friends leave everything they have and followed Jesus.

Why people leave everything and follow Jesus? What is the literal meaning of 'leaving everything'? How much theological relevance is given for the self rejection in Christianity? Or, to what we have to follow now in the current world, where we cannot physically find Jesus? There are varying levels of questions posed by Christians. The more serious issue for the followers of Christ is to face the words of Jesus Christ himself. He says plainly, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me" (Luke 9:23, Mark 8:34). He also says "Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me" (Matthew 10:38, Luke 14:27).

Self rejection has profound importance for the discipleship of Christ. All those who left in the name of Christ have found something much much more valuable than their life itself. And that treasure is hidden to the wise and the intelligent (Matthew 11:25). For the people who doesn't understand the essence of Christ (bible denotes them as those who are perishing), following Christ or His words are foolishness (1 Corinthians 1:18). Jesus Christ also compare it as a seed which dies and produce much fruit (John 12:24). This self rejection is a prerequisite to live in the fullness of Christ itself. Jesus Christ says, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love" (John 15:10) and the commandment of Jesus Christ is "that you love one another, just as I have loved you" (John 15:12).

If we are followers of Christ, we are obliged to follow His commandment. Jesus's commandment of Love is the fundamental foundation of Christian life. "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13). This is an ideology of selflessness and inclusiveness. An ideology of non-violence and humaneness. An ideology of not being served, but serve and lay down the life for others. A character to find happiness in the smile of others. We have the promise from Christ to those who follow Him. "He who has lost his life for My sake will find it" (Matthew 10:39).

A wonderful post and thread Sijo my friend. I was especially interested in this statement of yours, "Self rejection has profound importance for the discipleship of Christ. All those who left in the name of Christ have found something much much more valuable than their life itself." Shortly after I became "born again" Jesus, it seemed, wanted me to leave the Printing Company of which I founded. Jesus impressed my mind that I should leave my printing co. and sell my house, leave Portland, Maine, and go to Bible College in Rockland, ME. to become an "under shepherd" of His. I obeyed his call to become a pastor, moved to the College and three years later became the pastor of a small Baptist Church.

The reason I'm telling you is not to boast, but to say that you are absolutely right. In your quote, you said, "All those who left in the name of Christ have found something much much more valuable" That was four decades ago, and I would not change that calling of Jesus for my life for anything. My walk of faith in Jesus has been amazing, and continues to be amazing.

Just as an aside, did you happen to notice that within about a week of Jesus being crucified, those boys had a boat, nets, the whole works, and were out fishing again? Not to mention that they somehow had a place to gather where Jesus appeared to them.... AND, they were able to hire the Upper Room for a big gathering.

I'm thinking they arranged to have someone keeping their businesses going while they were out on the road..... otherwise, they would not have been doing right by their families nor Jewish law.

I've thought of that Willie, I figured that after Jesus was crucified, they were so stunned that what He said, actually happened. Because Jesus wouldn't be there anymore, the first thing that they did was go back to their old jobs. Probably a family member or members kept the business going.

Didn't Paul also continue to make tents as well?

To leave everything behind and follow Christ means to leave behind the things of the world and follow after Christ, but that doesn't have to mean you have to sell your house and quit your job necessarily. While we are in the world we will continue to be subject to the things of this world. To follow after Christ means to leave behind the cares of the world so that the Kingdom of God might be manifest through the Spirit of Christ in our flesh while we are yet in this world.

When the disciples left to follow after Jesus, they did not carry on about the oppression at the hands of their Roman rulers, they followed Jesus who told them to love their enemies instead.

To me leaving everything behind, leaving behind the cares of the world to follow after Christ means that I do not get caught up in politics and consume myself with criticism of the government or events in the middle east and the rest of the world; I do not get side tracked by abortion rights or gay marriage debates, because none of it reveals to me to the Kingdom of Heaven.

To leave all behind and follow after Christ means that when I read my Bible, I only listen for the Spirit of Christ. I do not read the Bible looking for Satan, or some Antichrist person. I do not look to events in the modern world that I must somehow fit into some end times prophecy puzzle. I seek only after the Spirit of Christ so that I might know the Kingdom of Heaven with me.

In the parable of the sower, the seed that was sown was the Word of God, the Spirit of truth; and yet it was the cares of the world that came and choked out the seed that was planted.

Very well said my friend. I really liked what you said about the seed being chocked out. The cares, as you said, of the world can so easily divert good intentions.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back