Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

To ZZZ or not to ZZZ

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Angel

What are your sleeping habits? How much sleep do you need to feel replenished?

I need typically 10 hours of sleep. I've always been this way. If I go a couple days waking up before my body wants to it is REALLY hard to wake up.

What about you guys?

I'm up about every 2 hours. The longest I sleep in one stretch is maybe 4 hours, but that's rare.

I need hours of sleep as well.... 10 would be a welcome delight! Unfortunately, that isn't always attainable.

I need 10 hours of sleep to really feel rested.When I worked I would often go to bed at 11PM and get up at 5AM.It sometimes took me awhile to get to sleep so I felt sleep deprived a lot of the time.

If I don't have sleep to catch up on, I can go to bed at ten and wake up around four or five.
But I stay up late just about whenever I can get away with it, so I usually have sleep to catch up on. So if I'm able to sleep in, I can sleep 11 or 12 hours.

Until I learned the "secret" of getting to bed earlier, I could never get enough sleep. Now, the sleep I do get, (usually 8 hours) is three times as restful.

I was told the hours of sleep before midnight were twice as good as the hours afterward. Thought that was nonsense until I researched it a little. Changed everything.

I sleep way too little. The sun rose this morning at 11:10 and it will set at 15:22. That's 4 hours and 12 minutes that the sun is up. On the shortest day of the year, Dec. 21, the sun will be up for 4 hours and 7 minuts (11:15-15:22). Reykjavik gets less than 6 hours of sun from November 1 to February 21. In my opinion, people should hibernate during that time. If I could do that, I wouldn't have to worry about sleeping so much the rest of the year.

The TOG​

My wife has nicknamed me "Ten o'clock Bob" because like clockwork when 10:00 pm rolls around I am off to bed but typically I am up and at 'em by about 5:00 or 5:30 am even when I don't set an alarm clock. In fact, on most mornings I am awake before my alarm goes off.

Okay, so that's the reality but the question was "How much sleep do you need to feel replenished?" I feel very awake when I get up in the morning. In fact, I love mornings especially in the spring and summer when I can sit out on the deck with a cup of coffee and enjoy the sunrise. This time of year it's not so nice since it is still dark until almost 7:30 am. I have to admit though that I will often begin to feel fatigued by mid-afternoon but I rarely submit to a nap...well, not on purpose anyway. When I come home from work I will occasionally give in to a short power nap for about 10 minutes which gives me a new level of energy. I do wonder if I should be getting more sleep but when I wake up so early I feel I must get up. I'm too restless and ready for the day to do anything less.

I sleep way too little. The sun rose this morning at 11:10 and it will set at 15:22. That's 4 hours and 12 minutes that the sun is up. On the shortest day of the year, Dec. 21, the sun will be up for 4 hours and 7 minuts (11:15-15:22). Reykjavik gets less than 6 hours of sun from November 1 to February 21. In my opinion, people should hibernate during that time. If I could do that, I wouldn't have to worry about sleeping so much the rest of the year.

The TOG​
With such little daylight in Iceland during the winter months, is seasonal depression common like it is here in Minnesota? Our shortest day of the year in central MN where I'm at is 8 hours and 39 minutes. Not nearly as short as yours.

My wife has nicknamed me "Ten o'clock Bob" because like clockwork when 10:00 pm rolls around I am off to bed but typically I am up and at 'em by about 5:00 or 5:30 am even when I don't set an alarm clock. In fact, on most mornings I am awake before my alarm goes off.

Okay, so that's the reality but the question was "How much sleep do you need to feel replenished?" I feel very awake when I get up in the morning. In fact, I love mornings especially in the spring and summer when I can sit out on the deck with a cup of coffee and enjoy the sunrise. This time of year it's not so nice since it is still dark until almost 7:30 am. I have to admit though that I will often begin to feel fatigued by mid-afternoon but I rarely submit to a nap...well, not on purpose anyway. When I come home from work I will occasionally give in to a short power nap for about 10 minutes which gives me a new level of energy. I do wonder if I should be getting more sleep but when I wake up so early I feel I must get up. I'm too restless and ready for the day to do anything less.
Sounds like perfection, to me. Maybe do some regular naps, and, say, 5 small meals a day and a little gym time.

With such little daylight in Iceland during the winter months, is seasonal depression common like it is here in Minnesota? Our shortest day of the year in central MN where I'm at is 8 hours and 39 minutes. Not nearly as short as yours.

Yes, seasonal depression is a problem for many here. I have mild seasonal depression (at least, that's what I think and tell people. I've never been diagnosed). I just eat lots of trout (mainly smoked) during the winter months, and it helps a lot.

Reykjavik isn't the worst place, though, when it comes to sunlight (or lack thereof, as the case may be). My dad lives in the north of Iceland (Reykjavík is in the south west), and on the shortest day of the year there, the sun rises at 10:45 and sets at 14:29, which means the sun is above the horizon for 3 hours and 44 minutes.

The TOG​

If I don't have sleep to catch up on, I can go to bed at ten and wake up around four or five.
But I stay up late just about whenever I can get away with it, so I usually have sleep to catch up on. So if I'm able to sleep in, I can sleep 11 or 12 hours.
I am a nightowl as well.Always have been.Midnight is about when my body says "I am tired".Then sleep in the morning.I set me alarm so I do not sleep any later than 10AM.I don't like that.I have stuff to do.

Yes, seasonal depression is a problem for many here. I have mild seasonal depression (at least, that's what I think and tell people. I've never been diagnosed). I just eat lots of trout (mainly smoked) during the winter months, and it helps a lot.

Reykjavik isn't the worst place, though, when it comes to sunlight (or lack thereof, as the case may be). My dad lives in the north of Iceland (Reykjavík is in the south west), and on the shortest day of the year there, the sun rises at 10:45 and sets at 14:29, which means the sun is above the horizon for 3 hours and 44 minutes.

The TOG​

I don't think I would like that.Alaska has very little daylight in the winter too I think.That is what people I know who have lived there have said.

Just for fun, I checked the sunrise/sunset table for Barrow, Alaska on the north slope and there isn't any. Dark 24/7 right now.

Oh I could not do that.My X MIL lived in Alaska a few years.She had a problem with depression.She had to leave and move back to Oregon.

Just for fun, I checked the sunrise/sunset table for Barrow, Alaska on the north slope and there isn't any. Dark 24/7 right now.

Barrow is well within the Arctic Circle, while the northernmost parts of Iceland just barely touch it.

505px-Arctic_circle.svg.png

The TOG​

Back