Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Various Interpretations of Genesis

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
J

Jayhawk

he following is a list of ways that different Christians interpret the creation account(s) in Genesis without embracing young-Earth creationism. It's very much an off-the-cuff effort -- improvements and corrections are welcome.

1) Day-age. The days of Genesis are each periods of indefinite length.
2) Gap. There is a gap of a few billion years between Gen. 1:1 and Gen. 1:2.

These are both "conservative" approaches that preserve the inerrancy of the Bible. They were quite popular among fundamentalists until the Flood geology/young-earth movement drove them out two or three decades ago. They make more of an attempt to come to terms with the physical evidence than does Flood geology, but neither really addresses the discrepancies. That is, they allow for an old earth, but even so the Genesis account still doesn't fit the physical record at all well. They also take, to my mind, a peculiar attitude towards the text: it's literally true and an accurate record of the history of life, but written in a kind of code that made it incomprehensible for most of its history (i.e., no one reading Genesis without a knowledge of geology would come away with the idea that the Earth is billions of years old).

3) Allegory. The creation account is an allegory; its message is the spiritual truth contained in the allegory. This is a very old position in Christian interpretation, although until the conflict with science developed the account was usually (but not always) thought to be true both literally and allegorically. As is often the case with allegories, the precise meaning that's supposed to be conveyed varies with the reader. This approach is also consistent with an inerrant Bible, but not with a fundamentalist style of literalism. More recent variations would make the account a metaphorical or a mythic representation of spiritual truths.

4) Reworked myth. The creation account is a Mesopotamian creation myth that has been carefully reworked to express theological truths (monotheism, supremacy of Israel's God over the forces of nature, etc.). The myth is simply the medium through which these truths are conveyed.

5) Theology uber alles. The question of the historical truth of the account is of no importance whatsoever. All that matters is the theological truths it contains. A different formulation would be that the Bible should only be expected to be reliable in matters of theological importance; it's not intended to be a science or history textbook, and hence need not be entirely accurate in those areas.

6) Fallible human product. Like the rest of the Bible, the Genesis account is not God's word, but a record of and reflections on a particular people's encounter with God. There's no reason to expect it not to contain errors, especially in matters that were outside the knowledge of the authors.

Some of the above approaches are inconsistent with each other, and some are not. I see that I've only commented on the validity of the first two, probably because I find them to require strained readings even on their own terms. Obviously, those who hold such beliefs don't agree with me, so don't take my word for it.

Seven 24 hour days? Sounds like a very, very short period of time for the earth to form.

God is a nonanswer. Saying that it was god who started the universe is like saying I don't know so it must have been something that could have started a universe and since I don't know what could do that I'll just say it's my favorite superbeing.
It's equivalent to saying, I don't know why all those planets are moving across the sky and why the stars move and the sun, perhaps god's servants the angels are pulling them.
The universe has not stopped being explained empirically, so don't discount empiricism just because it's not finished yet.

Interesting that Jayhawk (real name Syed) tries to summarize Christian analysis of Genesis when elsewhere he ADMITS he does not even have the Bible; that he has not even ever read a whole book of the Bible and that he refuses to accept the offer of a FREE Bible (with commentary) shipped to his postal address!

He fails to mention that the Quran has a six/eight day creation!

Sura 7:54, 10:3, 11:7, and 25:59 clearly state that Allah created "the heavens and the earth" in six days. But in Sura 41:9-12 the detailed description of the creation procedure adds up to eight days.
Read more here.... http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran/Contra/i010.html

Gary makes a good point JH, cite your sources.
Gary stop being a bigot, you're making a hasty generalization.

God is a nonanswer. Saying that it was god who started the universe is like saying I don't know so it must have been something that could have started a universe and since I don't know what could do that I'll just say it's my favorite superbeing.

Actually, it's just a hypothesis without a mathematical testing. All people, including scientists, do it a whole bunch... we say, "I bet this happened," or "It's my opinion that..." Saying that God exists is no more radical or unscientific than making the claim that black holes exist since both have received efforts to be proven scientifically and both remain scientifically unobserved by and large.

It's equivalent to saying, I don't know why all those planets are moving across the sky and why the stars move and the sun, perhaps god's servants the angels are pulling them.

So why are the planets moving throughout the solar system? Gravity? And why does gravity do what it does? You see, you're not quite as privy to cosmic information as you might lead yourself to believe. You can't make it even three questions deep into the reasoning for planetary orbit... and the funny thing is that none of the rest of us can either.

The universe has not stopped being explained empirically, so don't discount empiricism just because it's not finished yet.

The universe works on empirical data/laws. That empirical data conflicts with a self-created universe. There must have been an exterior force which created/caused the universe that we exist in currently.

BL

Actually, we can say why gravity is there. It was caused by a decoupling of forces after the early universe cooled sufficiently.

We know that mass causes gravity. And we can describe in detail how it works.

But we have no idea why there are just four forces that seem to be special aspects of a single, unbroken force that existed earlier.

Maybe we'll never know. But that's a good thing. What we don't know is what drives science on to know more.

The universe works on empirical data/laws. That empirical data conflicts with a self-created universe. There must have been an exterior force which created/caused the universe that we exist in currently.
It is too hasty to say this based on no evidence. There is no reason for me to believe anything about what caused the big bang, I know it happened, there is Cosmic Background radiation and a lot of other evidence to prove this, the cause is simply unknown. You're just positing a personal deity with infinite limits of power because that's the only thing you think exists that could cause the universe to begin. It could be that it IS self creating and that the process isn't known yet. Our knowledge of the universe is still very very limited.
But from the evidence we have, we know with reasonable certainty, that the Big Bang happened.

In the beginning there was everything, nowhere. Then there was somewhere. And this has caused many people to become quite confused and annoyed and has generally been seen as a bad move on the everything's part.
*passes collier a pangalactic Gargle Blaster
Here take a trip or two around the universe.

Or perhaps the Pratchett explanation:
In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

You don't really know what you're asking, I don't understand most of it because it requires maths and physics that I have yet to take. However what I know can be summed up pretty well this way:
The universe began as a dimentionless singularity, the, as it were mathematical and proverbial, point.
For some reason characteristic of dimentionless singular points it expanded into the universe and continues to expand. Though a great deal of this is in contention, specifically how it expanded, the way it expanded(exponential, linear, a combonation?) initially, how exactly it is expanding now, and what has continued to push the expansion, is the universe Euclideon(cube)? Hyperbolic(think potatochip)? Spherical(self evident as long as you know what a sphere is)? And as it is so oft argued on boards and forums like this one, what began the expansion from a point.
Sadly there is no really good recipe of fairy cake for making spectral analyses of. That and once you go to a point very close to the big bang, 10^-35 seconds into the universe, einsteinian and quantum physics stop working together. String theory is offering a pretty good explanation of it all, DO NOT ask me to explain about that as I know even less on that matter, but our technology is limited in its ability to test it.
So give it a decade or two and lots more interesting things will come about explaining things.

Syntax error: Gary stop being a bigot, you're making a hasty generalization.

Gary: Do you even understand what a bigot is? What would you consider “a hasty generalization†to be? 1 week? 2 weeks. 1 year? 4 years? Be more specific. How many Muslim websites would I have to have analysed and for how long would I have had to analyse Muslim websites to be no longer classified as “hasty†and a “generalisation� I will await your “Syntax error†response. Don’t rush. ….. LOL. You must not make a "hasty generalization" or a syntax error!

I'm saying Gary, that until we requested it end, many of the arguments posted on this forum by christians for creationism were doing the same. Hasty generalization isn't the correct word for it, you are correct on that point and I concede it, however you are still being bigoted by specifying Muslims as using copy and paste as a common tactic.

Actually, Gary is right. It is rare for a Muslim website or publication to cite references, or give credit for quotes. I'm not saying that it's willful plagiarism necessarily, it may just be a cultural difference.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back