Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Weightlifting and Christians

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Pard

So I am not sure if anyone here lifts weights regularly, but I do. Now if you do or have in the past, than you understand how addicting and satisfying it can be. I do my routine (5x5 of either squats, bench press, and rows OR squats, overheads, and deadlifts. Alternating days, of course) and when I am finished I crave more, but I exercise restraint and hit the treadmill for a number of minutes (never exceeding 45min. in length) and then I go home. The rest of the day I am craving more exercise but I don't do it because I know (though my body doesn't) that more will only hurt my. I wake up the next day (almost always it's a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday) and am in pain ALL over my body. Still, I love that feeling. I did a good job and every time I sit, stand, turn, walk, or lay down I am reminded of how well I did the previous day. Then on the next day I wake up craving that exercise and it doesn't go away until the following day when I am back in my painful state.

Now to some that sounds terrible (the pain), but it isn't. If you've lifted weights you know what I mean, and it isn't something you can explain to someone who hasn't. The question I have is, is this an addiction? I could go without it, I think, but it would really screw up my routine. And besides that, I am doing it to make sure the Lord's temple stays nice and clean.

Furthermore my parents hate it. They tell me I am going to ruin my body if I do it, and I know they're are 100% wrong, but you know they will never listen to me. They can say it's to much money, which is a lie, so far I've spent a grand total of 150$ on weightlifting in the last year. That's nothing! That cost comes from one pair of shoes (minimalist shoes, designed to simulate being barefoot. They cost 85$) and three payments of 25$ (that is my school's gym fee, 25$ per semester). That's nothing! My parents spend 40$ a month on gym membership and they never even go!!! :lol

So am I wrong to continue with weightlifting since some may construe it as an addiction and it also goes against my parent's will (mind you I'm 19)?

So am I wrong to continue with weightlifting since some may construe it as an addiction and it also goes against my parent's will (mind you I'm 19)?

First at 19, one would need to know what authority or right do your parents have in your life as it stands?

What accountability have you released them from (and they you) as it concerns your life's choices and present circumstances?

Be blessed, Stay blessed, and be Bold!

Could you expand on that? I think I know what you mean. I still live with them. They pay for lots of stuff. I meant the 19 in a more legalistic meaning of the word, I'll be the first to admit that my parents have a lot of control over my life. I don't think they'd ask me to stop, I feel it is more of a concern they have. My dad tore his ACL and now he can't walk all that well. I think they are looking at things like that when basing their disagreement with my weightlifting. They've never seen my lift before and they don't realize that I have proper technique and the only way I'd get injured is if something fell on me, and frankly the weight room is safer than your average house now a days. I can't choke myself on a bench even if I wanted to because of the safety pins in the way.

But they won't listen, they have this parent knows best mentality they keeps them from even processing my point of view. It's rather frustrating. Especially when they turn around and compliment me on my looks, because it's only because of this (and a diet they also frown upon, in part) that I am getting into good shape.

I don't think they'd ask me to stop, I feel it is more of a concern they have. My dad tore his ACL and now he can't walk all that well. I think they are looking at things like that when basing their disagreement with my weightlifting

Fair Enough.

And what things are you looking at when basing your disagreements with them?

Be blessed, Stay blessed, and be Bold!

it can injure you if you lift more then you need to. ie competation wieghtlifting ie where to win you must roid up. when you get older them squats and high weights will be way down. every old timer who has a physique and a record of wins has stated that to be the truth.

So I am not sure if anyone here lifts weights regularly, but I do. Now if you do or have in the past, than you understand how addicting and satisfying it can be. I do my routine (5x5 of either squats, bench press, and rows OR squats, overheads, and deadlifts. Alternating days, of course) and when I am finished I crave more, but I exercise restraint and hit the treadmill for a number of minutes (never exceeding 45min. in length) and then I go home. The rest of the day I am craving more exercise but I don't do it because I know (though my body doesn't) that more will only hurt my. I wake up the next day (almost always it's a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday) and am in pain ALL over my body. Still, I love that feeling. I did a good job and every time I sit, stand, turn, walk, or lay down I am reminded of how well I did the previous day. Then on the next day I wake up craving that exercise and it doesn't go away until the following day when I am back in my painful state.

Now to some that sounds terrible (the pain), but it isn't. If you've lifted weights you know what I mean, and it isn't something you can explain to someone who hasn't. The question I have is, is this an addiction? I could go without it, I think, but it would really screw up my routine. And besides that, I am doing it to make sure the Lord's temple stays nice and clean.

Furthermore my parents hate it. They tell me I am going to ruin my body if I do it, and I know they're are 100% wrong, but you know they will never listen to me. They can say it's to much money, which is a lie, so far I've spent a grand total of 150$ on weightlifting in the last year. That's nothing! That cost comes from one pair of shoes (minimalist shoes, designed to simulate being barefoot. They cost 85$) and three payments of 25$ (that is my school's gym fee, 25$ per semester). That's nothing! My parents spend 40$ a month on gym membership and they never even go!!! :lol

I have been training with weights for a very long time,stick with it, it is good for you. I do wonder about the pain? You should be somewhat tired after a good workout but not really in pain,it sounds like you may be taking a pre-workout supplement that is causing you to over work your body. I only workout about twice a week since I am not training for anything just trying to build up some strength and endurance. Weight training is certainly not like an addition since it is very hard physical work,something most folks try to avoid,keep it up if you can it helps build character,just do not spend too much time in the gym.

it can injure you if you lift more then you need to. ie competation wieghtlifting ie where to win you must roid up. when you get older them squats and high weights will be way down. every old timer who has a physique and a record of wins has stated that to be the truth.
I believe if you go natural you can keep what you have even when old,you may not get some of the glory from using the roids and lifting extreme weights but you have the satisfaction of being stronger than the roid guys when older.

I believe if you go natural you can keep what you have even when old,you may not get some of the glory from using the roids and lifting extreme weights but you have the satisfaction of being stronger than the roid guys when older.
possible. i say this as well try at age 60 squatting 400 plus. but in all i agree. i have switched to crossfit stuff as that is best for me. it will help with my grappling game.

Sam,

Uh, no the only supplements I take are things like magnesium (lowers next-day pain). Basically natural stuff that you get anyways when you eat food, my doc gave me a laundry list of things he wanted me to be taking. I used to take egg protein but that stuff is just to expensive (allergic to whey) so I just eat my protein now.

The pain isn't painful, it's dull and all over. Frankly I don't feel like I am lifting enough. I don't become tired until later on (but that's because I get a caffeine fix an hour after)

And at the most I am in the gym for an hour + a jog/run cool-down anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes. And that's 3 times a week, always after class.

Jason,

Keyword in your entire post is steroids. They are bad for you, and frankly you don't need them. If you eat properly you can overcome lots of things. Red meats is a must, as it increases your testosterone levels significantly. Omega-3/9 also help in the production of testosterone. Spinach is really good as it is an alkaline and it allows your muscles to properly use the protein it gets (protein is VERY acidic). "Natural" powerlifters can do the same things that the guy pumped with steroids can do, it just takes longer and requires a lot more discipline.

How you ever seen the diets the steroid guys eat? It's crazy, they don't need a proper diet to get their required stuff (due to steroids) so they eat candy and junk. Me, I eat at least a bag of spinach a day and probably 1+ pounds of red meat and maybe 4-8 eggs (depends on how many breakfasts I am having :) ). Also, people who keep it natural can keep that physique well into old age. My grandfather (farm boy) was freaking built right up into his 80s.

B.,

For starters, I am looking at the 70+ pounds I've lost since I started lifting (I say + because that's what the scale says. I have been lifting for a year and every workout I increase the weight I lift, so you have to figure I lost a lot more fat than 70 pounds, but I also had to gain a lot of muscle weight). Second, I feel better now than I have in years. I mean I get sore (right now I am nursing a real bad back cramp from doing too many deadlift reps) but I have energy and I sleep properly and when I wake up I am not in a fog and I don't get tired until bed time. It's great. Third, it's healthy. We got all this potential (muscle-wise) surely it was meant to be capitalized upon! So I'm trying to do just that. Fourth, discipline. I cannot express how much discipline weightlifting gave me. Between forcing myself to get up and go early on to refusing to carry on with lifting when I am done with my routine to mental discipline. It's great. Fifth, what do you think I do on the treadmill after a lift session? Read the Bible of course!

EDIT

Jason,

[video=youtube;ez3wWdh-IEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez3wWdh-IEo&feature=related[/video]

again that is rare. i know i seen them in my old gym and some of them did it natural. my old sensei aged 53 who has competed once and is doing it natural still is strong but he has back off from the 350 plus bench

shoot there is this too.

YouTube - ‪Helio Gracie‬‏

he was 91 then.

Last edited by a moderator:
either way, pard, in moderation it will help you more then hurt you. i have seen it help women with bone density issues.

And Jason a combination of squats an deadlifts will help with your grip, which (it would seem to me anyways) is a large part of grappling. Also, anything thing that hurts people later on in life is using machines to often. Machines force your body into pretty geometric lines when lifting. Watch a guy with barbells, he doesn't go straight up and down, there is a wavy line that the bar takes, because our bodies are constantly trying to adjust for balance. The rigid movements of a machine can really screw you up down the road. So can doing squats to parallel. Ever watch a baby squat? They don't go to parallel, they go all the way down. My friend (started lifting with me) also squats (parallel) and he has terrible knee issues, I squat below parallel and I have never had a problem with my knees.

Don't get me started on how many times I've seen a guy benching (even the pros) and doing it with their elbows going out to the sides! That is how you ruin your shoulders! Elbows are designed to come down and run parallel to your body, not perpendicular. I corrected my friend's technique in bench pressing and in the same day he went from doing 125 to doing 165, just because of that simply adjustment. It gets even more muscles active and it doesn't strain your shoulders at all.

EDIT

Helps my mom (but she won't use freeweights :shame). She had terrible shoulder issues, I got her using the lat pull down and some shoulder presses and now she can use her should without pain.

And Jason a combination of squats an deadlifts will help with your grip, which (it would seem to me anyways) is a large part of grappling. Also, anything thing that hurts people later on in life is using machines to often. Machines force your body into pretty geometric lines when lifting. Watch a guy with barbells, he doesn't go straight up and down, there is a wavy line that the bar takes, because our bodies are constantly trying to adjust for balance. The rigid movements of a machine can really screw you up down the road. So can doing squats to parallel. Ever watch a baby squat? They don't go to parallel, they go all the way down. My friend (started lifting with me) also squats (parallel) and he has terrible knee issues, I squat below parallel and I have never had a problem with my knees.

Don't get me started on how many times I've seen a guy benching (even the pros) and doing it with their elbows going out to the sides! That is how you ruin your shoulders! Elbows are designed to come down and run parallel to your body, not perpendicular. I corrected my friend's technique in bench pressing and in the same day he went from doing 125 to doing 165, just because of that simply adjustment. It gets even more muscles active and it doesn't strain your shoulders at all.

EDIT

Helps my mom (but she won't use freeweights :shame). She had terrible shoulder issues, I got her using the lat pull down and some shoulder presses and now she can use her should without pain.

uh i cant squat below parrelel when you get into 325 plus which i have gone up to 385, its not wise to break parrelel as you either do a bad thing for my back which lean way to forward and that will send my to my chiropractor. and no lifting for a few weeks on squats i used to use the horse stance and turn my feet out at a forty five degrees and then squat with back straight up and down. pard when i used to lift i could hold the bar with 400 plus and shoulder shrug it with no ropes and no assisance.

on bjj gripping the wrist you cant use that type of grip as you wont apply proper torque. the grip on the kimora and americana and also ankle holds and toe holds is with the thumbless as in its doesnt close normally. its done that way for extra force.

i need more cardio, if one lifts and does no cardio he wont last in any match. i have seen it time and time agian that is why i'm going to cross fit they use natural body wieght and isometrics to get in shape and they do some ungodly things

tire flipping, tire tossing(small car tires) and a host of others and the kettle bells.

You mean endurance? Yeah throw in some HIIT if you want endurance. But seriously, how long does a match go on for? Because the cardiovascular benefits of lifting are more than enough for a sparring match. Is your stuff more like MMA? Those guys need some serious endurance.

You mean endurance? Yeah throw in some HIIT if you want endurance. But seriously, how long does a match go on for? Because the cardiovascular benefits of lifting are more than enough for a sparring match. Is your stuff more like MMA? Those guys need some serious endurance.
really? can a 300 muscle bound man run 10 miles? remember cardio is different then muscle building and often work in opposites. man if i was going to see the professional trainer for gsp today(at one time and other athletes) i would ask her opinion.most body builders can last more then one match.

some of the guys do lift but they dont do it heavy. toning thats it. all naga matches are 5 minutes rounds. some times you may do 4 of those in a row.

yes the gym is an mma gym and the grappling is geared toward mma stuff. we have both mma fighters and grapplers who fight in naga or other competetions. most of the fighters are former high school wrestlers and or are in high school.

Considering running is all about technique and endurance, I sure think a powerlifter could do 10 miles, not sure if he'd want to (but that's a whole different story). He would have to throw in some HIIT into his routine to get his endurance up, but yeah he should be able to do 10 miles.

The reason I say he may not want to is because running (beyond roughly 45 minutes at a time) begins to deteriorate muscle. When you run you use your reserves and then your body immediately begins to eat the muscle for energy. That's why marathoners are often less muscular than even just a guy who hits the gym on the weekends.

And not to mention that lifting is one of the best ways to strengthen your cardiovascular system. I wear a heart rate monitor when I lift and when I do my hours worth of lifting my rate never goes below 70% max, when lifting. And when in the 1/3 rest it doesn't go below 60%.

Also, you said 300, I assume pounds? I'd just like to point out that he has to be on steroids to achieve that weight (or he is VERY tall). Our height directly effects our muscle mass. I will have to find the study for you, but a guy who is my height (5'11") and has 10% fat content will never be able to weight in at over 200 pounds unless he uses some type of anabolic steroid to increase his muscle size. I say this for two reasons:

A. the 300 lb natural powerlifter is probably working with 100 pounds of fat on him. So that'd be like 33% bodyfat.
B. I have no clue what a steroid user can or cannot do. Steroids are really hard on the system and do things that are simply not natural, so I have no clue how it would effect their running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering running is all about technique and endurance, I sure think a powerlifter could do 10 miles, not sure if he'd want to (but that's a whole different story). He would have to throw in some HIIT into his routine to get his endurance up, but yeah he should be able to do 10 miles.

The reason I say he may not want to is because running (beyond roughly 45 minutes at a time) begins to deteriorate muscle. When you run you use your reserves and then your body immediately begins to eat the muscle for energy. That's why marathoners are often less muscular than even just a guy who hits the gym on the weekends.

And not to mention that lifting is one of the best ways to strengthen your cardiovascular system. I wear a heart rate monitor when I lift and when I do my hours worth of lifting my rate never goes below 70% max, when lifting. And when in the 1/3 rest it doesn't go below 60%.

Also, you said 300, I assume pounds? I'd just like to point out that he has to be on steroids to achieve that weight (or he is VERY tall). Our height directly effects our muscle mass. I will have to find the study for you, but a guy who is my height (5'11") and has 10% fat content will never be able to weight in at over 200 pounds unless he uses some type of anabolic steroid to increase his muscle size. I say this for two reasons:

A. the 300 lb natural powerlifter is probably working with 100 pounds of fat on him. So that'd be like 33% bodyfat.
B. I have no clue what a steroid user can or cannot do. Steroids are really hard on the system and do things that are simply not natural, so I have no clue how it would effect their running.
muscle and few fat. their are two heart cycles.

anerobic which is what weight lifting uses primarily, and so does some push ups etc

aerobic where its primarily oxygen that is needed. yes one can lift but if one wants to bulk up as you say running isnt wise for that person. yes one can do it and i do know some that do that.

my old sensei has strenght and cardio. he cut down on the large weights due to age. injuries and also well life happens. he is flexible(yoga has influenced his work out) and has cardio and still built.

yes its possible to lift and run and cardio but there has to be a balance in doing so. i'm sure the professional fighters do have that incorporated but many people dont have the time. for me crossfit is better.

i do it in the guard and i cant afford a gym.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back