Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What ever happened to old fashion dating?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I thought dating was supposed to start with one date at a time, and then at some point the couple decide to make the commitment more serious and "go steady"? Why doesn't this happen anymore?

Probably due partly to the pressure put on so many to 'marry'...

:smt102

Actually, I think it is just the opposite. I think the pressure is to put off marriage. Parents, church leaders, the media and others tell us to wait until we graduate college, get a perfect job, sow our wild oats, have tried out plenty of people, etc. etc.

So naturally, the going steady idea is also shunned as too much commitment.

We are a society afraid of commitment. I know parents who would rather their children have premarital sex than marry before they graduate. That's ridiculous. Your situation doesn't have to be perfect to have a happy, loving, committed marriage.

Another sad thing is that that view puts yoru career at a hgher priority than you future spouse.

Though, it isn't always a bad idea to wait a little bit. If you love each other, what's the rush?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back