Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the spirit of a man?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

lecoop

vic C. said:
lecoop said:
Since that time, spirits have either gone to hell or gone to heaven, depending on whether or not they knew Jesus and He knew them (they had become born of the Spirit).
That contradicts scripture:

Eccl 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

The spirit is Ruach in Hebrew and Pneuma in Greek mean breath, as in breath of life or breath of God. The "life force" that God breathes into man as he is created or conceived is what returns to Him. Don't confuse this with man's soul or actual essence or being. This is not a debate for here; it is best left to be debated in Apologetics.

Vic, maybe we are having a disagreement with word meanings.

Luke 16
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

First, what happened? Two med died. Their bodies were buried, as is normal for dead bodies: "and was buried." Now note what comes next: "in hell he lift up his eyes..." Who is lifing up "his" eyes? The bible says, "he" and "His" and who or what ever it is, has eyes, and can see! Ok, we know the body is dead, so it must be either the soul or the spirit. It cannot be the body, and I would challenge anyone to find eyes, and understanding in "breath." Also we note that this entity has understanding, and memory. We also note that spirits can speak. I say it is the "spirit," and if I understand, you are saying it is the soul. You quoted a verse from Eccl. to prove your point.

My question to you is, what will you do with all the New Testament verses that seem to disagree with the verse in Eccl?

1 Peter 3
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Who or what did Jesus preach to in hell? It is written, "the spirits."

Hebrews 12
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant

Paul, as is written about him, writes things difficult to follow, but this is telling us that we are come, not to an earthy mount Zion, where the presense of God caused Moses to tremble and shake in fear, but we are come to the heavenly mount and heavenly city, where God dwells. Paul tells us that there are an innumerable number of angels there, and then people: the general assembly and church, those people written in heaven, who at this time are "spirits." There has been no resurrection, the body is still in the grave, so Paul used the words "spirits of just men."

Hebrews 12:9
Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Here God is called the "Father of spirits." I believe he is speaking of the spirits of men.

1 Corinthians 14:32
And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

It is not the breath, nor the soul, but the spirits of the prophets that are subject to them. Paul is speaking of the inner man being subject to the outer man. As He said in another place, "I keep under my body." Who or what is the "I?" Again, Paul is speaking of the real him, the inner man. the New Testament calls this inner man the spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:10
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Spirits can be seen, when one can see into the spiritual world. There are many verses that speak of evil "spirits." They are not called souls, but spirits. They have a will, and they try to impose that will on humans.

1 John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

John is speaking of the spirit inside the body. False prophets are led by a wrong spirit. John goes on to say, "Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God." It may seem as if it would be our body confessing this, but John is saying that it is our inner man, the spirit inside the body, that confesses Jesus has come in the flesh.

Matthew 14:26
And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

When the disciples saw Jesus, they though they had seen a spirit. Matthew did not say "soul."

Matthew 26:41
Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Matthew is contrasting the spirit, or inner man with the body, or outer man.

Mark 2:8
And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?

Jesus "perceived" in His spirit. Our Spirits are the real us, and our spirits have understanding and can preceive of things hidden to our flesh.

Mark 8:12
And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

I guess spirits can sigh.

Luke 4:33
And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice,

This has always been an interesting verse to me, for it gives us a clue as to the origin of demons. This is telling us that demons are a spirit [many verses tell us this much], but a spirit out of or from an unclean devil. This seams to say that there was once beings called devils that died, and their spirits are what try to torment and tempt us today.

Luke 8:55
And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.

This is a girl that died. Her spirit, or inner man, left the body, but Jesus called that spirit back. It says, the spirit came again. Not breath, not soul, but the spirit left and came again. That is the difference between death and life: if the spirit remains in the body, there is life; but when the spirit leaves, the body dies. This is further demonstrated by the following verse:

Luke 23:46
And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Jesus did not give up his "breath" although as soon as His spirit left the body, the body quit breathing. Jesus did not give up his soul, for the soul and spirit can only be divided by the word of God. No, it is written that He gave up His spirit. The Greek word for "gave up the ghost" is "ekpne" and it means to breath your last breathe, or expire, which is when your spirit leaves your body, as is written, Jesus gave His spirit into the hands of God. He was trusting His spirit with the Father. The spirit of a man has no control over whether or not it goes up or down. That power lies entirely with the Father.

I have listened to several people that have had "out of body" experiences, where their spirit left their body. Kenneth Hagin left his body three times when he was 15 years old, and he went right down to the gates of hell, three times, because he was not born again. He had all his knowledge, memory, understanding, just as if he was in his body, but his heart stopped, and his spirit left his body. he could see the flames of hell. He could feel two demons grab him by his arms. He could hear a voice speak. When he came back up, he could see the house, could see exactly where he came up at, [the first time was right throught the porch] and could see his body laying there as he approached it. Was it his "breath" that left his body? Well, he certainly was not breathing after he died! Was it his soul that left? Indeed, the soul followed the spirit, for only the word of God can divide the soul and spirit.

Luke 24:39
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

They were thinking that they were seeing Jesus' spirit, or inner man. But Jesus said that a spirit does not have flesh and bones.

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

If God is a spirit being, and if we are created in His likeness and image, then we are a spirit being, but just live in a flesh body.

Acts 7:59
And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Stephen, just like Jesus, knew that once he died, his spirit would be in the hands of God, and his spirit would be what would leave his body.

Romans 1:9
For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;

It is by and with our spirit or inner man that we serve God. Our flesh has not desire to serve God.

Romans 2:29
But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

In the New Testament, "heart" and "spirit" seem to be interchangeable and can mean the same thing. The spiritual things that happen to us, happen in our spirit, not in our body or soul.

Romans 8:16
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

It is in our spirit, the real "us" that we KNOW we are born again.

1 Corinthians 2:11
For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

What is "in" man? It is his spirit.

1 Corinthians 5:5
To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus

What part of the human is saved? Not breath, not soul, but spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:20
For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

We can glorify God in our spirit, becuase our spirit is the real "us."

1 Corinthians 7:34
There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

Our spirit man can be holy. It is holy when we are born again, for it becomes a new creation.

1 Corinthians 14:14
For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Our spirit man inside can pray. He is the real "me." When I pray in tongues, it is my spirit man praying.

1 Corinthians 14:15
What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

These are two mutually exclusive things: if you are praying with your spirit, in tongues, your mind is bypassed, and you understand nothing. But if you stop praying with your spirit (tongues) and start praying in English, then your understanding is engaged, since it is creating the prayer. The point is, our spirit man can pray.

Galatians 5:17
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

The recreated spirit, where the Holy Spirit dwells, fights to do right, but our flesh wants to sin. The war is between our flesh and our spirit.

Ephesians 3:16
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

"Inner man" and spirit seem to be speaking of the same thing.

1 Thessalonians 5:23
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul delineates all three parts of a human here: Spirit, soul and body. The spirit can leave the body, and does so at death, but the soul never leaves the spirit. Only the word of God can separate the soul and spirit.

2 Thessalonians 2:13
But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

It is our spirit man that is set apart.

James 2:26
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

We die (our flesh) when the spirit leaves.

1 Peter 3:4
But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Our spirit man can be meek and quiet, and can be the opposite.

1 Peter 4:6
For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

It was the spirits of these men that were in hades. Their bodies had been buried.

I conclude then, that we are a spirit being, we live in a flesh and blood body, and we possess a soul, which is our mind, will, emotions, and affections. When a human dies, it is his spirit man, or the inner man, that leaves the body, and either goes to heaven or to hell. The soul goes with the spirit.

Coop

My question to you is, what will you do with all the New Testament verses that seem to disagree with the verse in Eccl?

1 Peter 3
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Hi Coop! Glad to see you out of the End Times Forum. :-D

Most here know my beliefs on Luke 16 differ from what "traditional" or mainstream Christianity teaches. Not a salvific issue, so I don't fret it. I've posted much on this in the past that can be found by looking through this Apologetics forum, if you care to look. In short, I read it as a parable, one story of a longer parable that starts at Luke 15:3. I believe the implications of Luke 16 goes far beyond describing the state of man after death. I believes it cuts right to the state of man's heart while alive.

I see you and guibox are discussing Ecclesiastes 12:7, so I don't want to interfere with that discussion. However, I see no contradiction between this verse and 1 Peter 3:19 because I don't believe Peter is referring to man. If someone can clearly show me where the NT refers to man as a spirit, then there's something to discuss. All I can gather is that we are taught man has a spirit, but we are not "spirit". Angelic beings are spirit, God is spirit and what you alluded to above... demons, they are spirits also. I believe Peter is writing about demons.

Later...

Vic

vic C. said:

1 Peter 3

Hi Coop! Glad to see you out of the End Times Forum. :-D

Most here know my beliefs on Luke 16 differ from what "traditional" or mainstream Christianity teaches. Not a salvific issue, so I don't fret it. I've posted much on this in the past that can be found by looking through this Apologetics forum, if you care to look. In short, I read it as a parable, one story of a longer parable that starts at Luke 15:3. I believe the implications of Luke 16 goes far beyond describing the state of man after death. I believes it cuts right to the state of man's heart while alive.

I see you and guibox are discussing Ecclesiastes 12:7, so I don't want to interfere with that discussion. However, I see no contradiction between this verse and 1 Peter 3:19 because I don't believe Peter is referring to man. If someone can clearly show me where the NT refers to man as a spirit, then there's something to discuss. All I can gather is that we are taught man has a spirit, but we are not "spirit". Angelic beings are spirit, God is spirit and what you alluded to above... demons, they are spirits also. I believe Peter is writing about demons.

Later...

Vic

My thought is, demons were already sentenced. There would be no logical reason to preach to them. But it is written that Jesus took "captivity" captive. Many believe that He took "paradise" to heaven with him. But it is written that no man can enter heaven without being born again. They all had to receive Jesus and become a new creature in Christ Jesus, before they could go to heaven. It makes perfect sense to me, that Jesus preached to them, His death, burial and resurrection.

As it is written:
Romans 10
14How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Coop

vic C. said:
Just be careful Coop, the idea that Jesus Himself actually went to "Paradise" to witness to those in this so-called "spirit prison" for a chance for salvation is a Mormon teaching.

http://www.moroni10.com/Mormon/Bible_Re ... adise.html

Coop, Google "the spirits in prison" and check out some of the commentaries.

Later...

ok. I will. But the thing is, it is written that Jesus went there. He said about Himself that He would give the sign of the prophet Jonah, that He would be in the belly of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights. And He told the thief that that day, they would be together in paradise. That was not heaven He was speaking about.

coop

What happens at death? To answer such a question, it will be a help for us to know what happened to Adam at his death. When Adam sinned, God told him; "You [will] return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return:" [Genesis 3:19] Thik of what that means. Before God created Adam from the dust, there was no Adam. Adam did not exist. So, after Adam died, Adam returned to that same state of "nonexistence".
Simply stated, death is the opposite of life. The Bible shows this at Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10. According to the Authorized or King Jame Version, these verses say; "For the living know that they shall die; but the dead know "not any thing", neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for tere is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the "grave", whither thou goest".
This means that the dead cannot do anything and cannot feel anything. They no longer have any thoughts, as the Bible states. "His [spirit] goes out, he goes back to the ground [it's talking of the soul or fleshly body] in that day his thoughts do perish". [Psalm 146: 3,4] At death man's spirit [God's active force], his life force, which is sustained by breathing, "goes-out". The spirit no longer exists. So man's senses of hearing, sight, touch, smell and taste, which depend upon his being able to think, all stop working. According to the Bible, the dead enter a state of unconsciousness.
When they are dead, both humans and animals are in this same state of complete unconsciousness. Note how the Bible makes this point; "As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit, so that there is no superiority of the man over the beast, [it's talking of the soul or fleshly body] for everything is vanity. All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust". [Ecclesiastes 3:19,20] The spirit [life-force] the makes animals live is the same as that which makes humans live. But when the spirit goes out, both man and beast return to the dust [the fleshly body decayes] from which they are made.
When Jesus died, his spirit returned to God the Father in heaven and his body [soul] remained in the tomb till he was resurrected. Read: Matthew 27:50 "Again Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and yielded up [his] spirit. Mark 15:37; Luke 23:46; John 19:30;
The "soul" or fleshly body went to the tomb and not hell. The word hell in hebrew is sheol which means "Grave". The word hell in Greek is Hades which means "Grave". Hell is the mental state of being separated from God's will.

For the readers:

You have been given two differing opinions here. Which will you believe?

Paul wrote about "rightly dividing" the word of truth. It is for sure, if the bible can be rightly divided, it can also be wrongly divided. But why does the Word of God need to be "divided" at all?

God speaks to three main groups of people: the group of people descended from "Jacob," the church of the Lord Jesus Christ, and "the nations." If one does not descern whom God is speaking to in a certain scripture, they will end up with false doctrine, plain and simple. For example, people try and fit the church into the Olivet discourse, which was given before the church existed. Who was Jesus speaking to at that time? Jewish men. When they asked about the end of the age, Jesus, speaking as a prophet under the old covenant, foretold what would happen during the 70th week of Daniel, and the time of Jacob's trouble. Why would anyone with common sense, think that "Jacob's trouble would have anything to do with the Gentile church?

Next, God is a self revealing God, and over time has revealed more and more of Himself and of the mysteries of this earth and mankind. In other words, we find much more complete revelations in the new covenant verses the old. Wisdom then would say that before one establishes a doctrine from the old testament, he or she should put it under the light of the new testament, and see what the new testament has to say on the same subject. Failure to do this results in cults, such as the people that come two by two and knock on doors. These people offer a "different gospel!" Paul tells us clearly what to do.

Further along this line, all scripture is NOT equal. Some is to be believed and followed, such as the letters to the churches. If we establish our doctrines from the Pauline letters, we will have good, solid and accurate doctrine for the Gentile church. On the other hand, most of the book of Jonah is FALSEhoods; nice sounding stuff, but totally WRONG! Anyone that tries to establish doctrine from most of this book, will be confused, and totally off in their doctrine. This is why Paul said that the word of truth needs to be correctly divided.

Now for a self examination: go ahead and look up the scriptures in the old testament given by evechot. Then compare them with the story of Lazarus and the rich man. Now, which is truth? Which is the latest revelation? Which is the fullest revelation?

For me, I will take the words of Jesus many times over, to the ramblings of a man far away from God at the time. For example, take the second and third verses:

Ecclesiastes 1
2Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
3What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?

These two verses sort of "set the stage" for the rest of the book. Is everything we do indeed "vanity?" Indeed NOT! When we get all by ourselves, and worship God, just because He is God, it is profitable, and not vanity. When we spend quality time reading God's word, it is not vanity, but profitable to us. Of course, to a man that took hundreds of wives, against the knowledge of God, all might seem to be vanity. I have seen VERY few men live in peace with ONE wife. Will you establish doctrine from the writings of a man that disobeyed God and took hundreds of wifes?

4One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

This is old testament wisdom. But what does the new testament tell us?

Revelation 21
1And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Looks like Solomon missed it again! The earth will not abide forever. It will be replaced.

5The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.

In truth, the sun stays put, and we are in orbit around it.

10Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

Yet today, we wear on our wrist, more computing power than existed in the entire (almost) 6000 years up to about 1960.

3 I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life.

Still want to establish doctrine here? I guess one could say "God told me to drink wine and to lay hold on folly!"

Ecclesiastes 11:3
If the clouds be full of rain, they empty themselves upon the earth: and if the tree fall toward the south, or toward the north, in the place where the tree falleth, there it shall be.

Not any more! Today we have huge machines that pick up the fallen tree, and move it, in one piece! Hmm. Another "new" thing that did not exist every before in this world.

So go and read again about the rich man and Lazarus, and believe it. It is truth.

Coop

First of all one can not do a word search in some PC bible for the word “spirit†and then turn immediately around and say that all of these scriptures are talking about the same thing. Some will be in the context of parables. Most will need further research.

The word hell in the KJV is used as a general term for hell, shoal, or Hades. However there is a huge difference in the true meaning of these words in scripture. Jesus did not go to hell. Hell is the final place of punishment for the non-believer. Jesus did not preach a second chance to those lost. He claimed victory.

When a person dies their spirit is either asleep in Jesus, (not with him) or they are simply dead awaiting the second resurrection to judgment. When the body dies the spirit and/or soul enters a state of unconsciousness. If you have never been unconscious you can not relate to what this means. Time is totally non existent in this state. The dimension of time is not something that the spirit world of God has any need of.

We die…we sleep…then are resurrected to the wedding or to be cast into hell. Until then everything that goes on is totally unrelated to the passage of time. All that happens is unrelated to our worldly six senses. As far as the spirit is concerned, we are with our lord instantly or not.

Time is a part of nature life...not eternal life. :)

When a person dies their spirit is either asleep in Jesus, (not with him) or they are simply dead awaiting the second resurrection to judgment. When the body dies the spirit and/or soul enters a state of unconsciousness. If you have never been unconscious you can not relate to what this means. Time is totally non existent in this state. The dimension of time is not something that the spirit world of God has any need of.
While I agree with the premise of what you're saying, I'd be careful about using the word spirit as you did above.

It negates Eccl 12:7, which was the point of an earlier post of mine. All spirits return to the One who gave them. We know what happens to the body; the state of the soul is in question here.

Vic,

How do you equate the story of the rich man and Lazarus, with Eccl 12:7? They are giving us two different scenarios.

Coop

vic C. said:
While I agree with the premise of what you're saying, I'd be careful about using the word spirit as you did above.

It negates Eccl 12:7, which was the point of an earlier post of mine. All spirits return to the One who gave them. We know what happens to the body; the state of the soul is in question here.

I understand what you are saying, but you should also understand that time is not a factor. Eccl 12:7 only speaks of the spirit’s destination.

It is true that spirit and soul are different and one should be careful how they use the two terms. With this in mind the word soul may have been a better word to use.

Brings up this question...When a person accepts Jesus is it the soul or spirit that is saved?
:wink:

The soul. :biggrin Eccl. 12:7 and it's context make no distinction between the righteous and unrighteous. It just declares that God is the one who breathes life (gives spirit) into all "men" and that this lifeforce returns to God upon death.

vic C. said:
The soul. :biggrin Eccl. 12:7 and it's context make no distinction between the righteous and unrighteous. It just declares that God is the one who breathes life (gives spirit) into all "men" and that this lifeforce returns to God upon death.
Yes...I understand that the spirit is only the life force. I was merely pointing out that time is not a factor.(probably not important) Anyway I do agree with you totally about the spirit and soul. Revelations speaks many times of the "souls" in Heaven. :)

The word "spirit" comes from the Hebrew word ru´ach and the Greek pneu´ma, which comes from pne´o, meaning “breathe or blow". These have the basic meaning of “breath†but have extended meanings beyond that basic sense. They can also mean wind; the vital force in living creatures; one’s spirit; spirit persons, including God and his angelic creatures; and God’s active force, or holy spirit. All these meanings have something in common: They all refer to that which is invisible to human sight and which gives evidence of force in motion. Such invisible force is capable of producing visible effects.

Some confuse spirit and soul, saying that we have an immortal soul. The Bible, however, clearly says that the soul is not immortal, but can die. Ezekiel 18:4 says that "all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die."(King James Bible) Or at Acts 3:23, which says that " it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people."(King James Bible) The Hebrew word for soul is ne´phesh, and in Greek, psy·khe´ . The connotations that the English “soul†commonly carries in the minds of most persons are not in agreement with the meaning of the Hebrew and Greek words as used by the inspired Bible writers. This fact has steadily gained wider acknowledgment. Back in 1897, in the Journal of Biblical Literature (Vol. XVI, p. 30), Professor C. A. Briggs, as a result of detailed analysis of the use of ne´phesh, observed: “Soul in English usage at the present time conveys usually a very different meaning from [ne´phesh] in Hebrew, and it is easy for the incautious reader to misinterpret.â€Â

When The Jewish Publication Society of America issued a new translation of the Torah, or first five books of the Bible, the editor-in-chief, H. M. Orlinsky of Hebrew Union College, stated that the word “soul†had been virtually eliminated from this translation because, “the Hebrew word in question here is ‘Nefesh.’†He added: “ The Bible does not say we have a soul. ‘Nefesh’ is the person himself, his need for food, the very blood in his veins, his being.â€Â-The New York Times, October 12, 1962.

The difficulty lies in the fact that the meanings popularly attached to the English word “soul†stem primarily, not from the Hebrew or Christian Greek Scriptures, commonly called the Old and New Testament, but from ancient Greek philosophy, actually pagan religious thought. Greek philosopher Plato, for example, quotes Socrates as saying: “The soul, . . . if it departs pure, dragging with it nothing of the body, . . . goes away into that which is like itself, into the invisible, divine, immortal, and wise, and when it arrives there it is happy, freed from error and folly and fear . . . and all the other human ills, and . . . lives in truth through all after time with the gods.â€Â-Phaedo, 80, D, E; 81, A.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia says: “Nepes [ne´phesh] is a term of far greater extension than our ‘soul,’ signifying life (Ex 21.23; Dt 19.21) and its various vital manifestations: breathing (Gn 35.18; Jb 41.13[21]), blood [Gn 9.4; Dt 12.23; Ps 140(141).8], desire (2 Sm 3.21; Prv 23.2). The soul in the O[ld] T[estament] means not a part of man, but the whole man-man as a living being. Similarly, in the N[ew] T[estament] it signifies human life: the life of an individual, conscious subject (Mt 2.20; 6.25; Lk 12.22-23; 14.26; Jn 10.11, 15, 17; 13.37).â€Â-1967, Vol. XIII, p. 467.

The Roman Catholic translation, The New American Bible, in its “Glossary of Biblical Theology Terms†(pp. 27, 28), says: “In the New Testament, to ‘save one’s soul’ (Mk 8:35) does not mean to save some ‘spiritual’ part of man, as opposed to his ‘body’ (in the Platonic sense) but the whole person with emphasis on the fact that the person is living, desiring, loving and willing, etc., in addition to being concrete and physical.â€Â-Edition published by P. J. Kenedy & Sons, New York, 1970.

Thus, the "soul" is anyone as a person, with all their desires. Closely connected, the "spirit" of a person can be his life force, the very principal of life. The account of the creation of man states that God formed man from the dust of the ground and proceeded to “blow [form of na·phach´] into his nostrils the breath [form of nesha·mah´] of life, and the man came to be a living soul [ne´phesh].†(Ge 2:7) Ne´phesh may be translated literally as “a breather,†that is, “a breathing creature,†either human or animal. Nesha·mah´ is, in fact, used to mean “breathing thing [or creature]†and as such is used as a virtual synonym of ne´phesh, “soul", such as at Deuteronomy 20:16 and Joshua 11:11.

The record at Genesis 2:7 uses nesha·mah´ in describing God’s causing Adam’s body to have life so that the man became “a living soul.†Other texts, however, show that more was involved than simple breathing of air, that is, more than the mere introduction of air into the lungs and its expulsion therefrom. Thus, at Genesis 7:22, in describing the destruction of human and animal life outside the ark at the time of the Flood, we read: “Everything in which the breath [form of nesha·mah´] of the force [or, “spirit†(ru´ach)] of life was active in its nostrils, namely, all that were on the dry ground, died.†Nesha·mah´, “breath,†is thus directly associated or linked with ru´ach, which here describes the spirit, or life-force, that is active in all living creatures-human and animal souls.

Because breathing is so inseparably connected with life, nesha·mah´ and ru´ach are used in clear parallel in various texts. Job voiced his determination to avoid unrighteousness “while my breath [form of nesha·mah´] is yet whole within me, and the spirit [weru´ach] of God is in my nostrils.†(Job 27:3-5) Elihu said: “If that one’s spirit [form of ru´ach] and breath [form of nesha·mah´] he [God] gathers to himself, all flesh will expire [that is, “breathe outâ€Â] togeth and earthling man himself will return to the very dust.†(Job 34:14, 15) Similarly, Psalm 104:29 says of earth’s creatures, human and animal: “If you [God] take away their spirit, they expire, and back to their dust they go.†At Isaiah 42:5, our Creator, Jehovah God is spoken of as “the One laying out the earth and its produce, the One giving breath to the people on it, and spirit to those walking in it.†The breath (nesha·mah´) sustains their existence; the spirit (ru´ach) energizes and is the life-force that enables man to be an animated creature, to move, walk, be actively alive.

These two verses sort of "set the stage" for the rest of the book. Is everything we do indeed "vanity?" Indeed NOT! When we get all by ourselves, and worship God, just because He is God, it is profitable, and not vanity. When we spend quality time reading God's word, it is not vanity, but profitable to us. Of course, to a man that took hundreds of wives, against the knowledge of God, all might seem to be vanity. I have seen VERY few men live in peace with ONE wife. Will you establish doctrine from the writings of a man that disobeyed God and took hundreds of wifes?
Aah, coop, I'd never would have thought you'd stoop so low as to use one man's life and inspired writings to belittle another's beliefs. No disrespect, but I have to tell you, that was a pitiful attempt to put down the writings of Solomon. You seem to forget God held such men as Moses David, Paul (especially) in high esteem even though they killed. Are you willing to discard Paul's writings as well? Are the beliefs of others concerning the nature of body, soul and spirit that threatening to you?

vic C. said:
Aah, coop, I'd never would have thought you'd stoop so low as to use one man's life and inspired writings to belittle another's beliefs. No disrespect, but I have to tell you, that was a pitiful attempt to put down the writings of Solomon. You seem to forget God held such men as Moses David, Paul (especially) in high esteem even though they killed. Are you willing to discard Paul's writings as well? Are the beliefs of others concerning the nature of body, soul and spirit that threatening to you?

All I am saying is, a wise man picks carefully the scriptures he bases his doctrines on. Every chapter in the bible is not God breathed truth. Many chapters in Job are the opposite of truth. If we want to establish a doctrine, it should be from the epistles written to the church, because we are the audience for them. Any old testament scripture should be understood in light of the extended revelation of the new testament. My example would be to compare what Solomon wrote about the spirit of man, as compared to what Jesus said speaking about the rich man and Lazarus.

Some may choose to base their doctrine on the human spirit on what Soloman wrote. I choose to base mine on what Jesus said. We each choose how we "hear" each verse of scripture.

Coop

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back