Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What Will Come First?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Knotical

Shepherd of the Knotical kid-farm
I normally stay out of conversations that have to do with end times, as often they end up in heated arguments that I would rather avoid, but an article I came across today has me wondering. Will Jesus come before or after we have the ability to travel to another earth-like world and start colonization?

Of course the scifi geek in me was sparked with curiosity on this, but it does beg the question. Will we ever have the ability to make a trans-solar system, or trans-galactic travel; and if so, will we be able to use it before Jesus comes?

I really don't recall reading anything in the bible that would speak to this, but if He doesn't come til well after we start colonizing other worlds then The Event would appear to be a long way off.

Many have suggested we are living in the "end times" but that has been debated for centuries.

Thoughts?

Biblically, we are living in the "last days."

Scientifically, I am not even aware of another planet that has been discovered that has that basic elements to naturally support human life.

I think we're going to have deal with all the seeds of destruction that have been sown in this planet coming to fruition. Don't have any scripture for it, but I doubt people will be living on other planets before Jesus returns.

This article alludes to having found five exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system) that may have water vapor in their atmosphere, which could suggest they might have what it takes to support life. Of course this is all just speculation, and the only way to know for sure is to actually send someone out there, but that is what has been discovered.

End times theology is not something I ever looked into as well as I should. That being said I think Jesus will return before that happens. I believe Israel becoming a nation again in 1948 was a prophecy fulfilled, which could make his coming in 1 generation. The details about the 6 days war are just incredible. Israel was out numbered in tanks, jets, and soldiers, yet they still defeated the stronger Egyptian force in 6 days! There were many reports, from both sides, of seeing Angels. Some Egyptian soldiers said they saw vast numbers of soldiers coming toward them when in fact there were only a few. Some Israeli soldiers saw Angels near their dead soldiers. Some of the enemy soldiers said they gave up because they can't fight Angels. I don't know the exact verse, and it's cliché but I believe he's coming within 1 generation of 1948.

I remember watching a show about it on one of these: Nova/Discover/History. It was about several methods being developed for interstellar travel. Mostly, it was about the insurmountable issues involved with the distances. Power and time were the two biggest obstacles. If I remember right it was in the ballpark of ~20,000 years to travel those distances at a feasible speed, power, and size for a ship. Of course, traveling something like 50% the speed of light would reduce that time to a few decades but then that ship wasn't as feasible. They pretty much concluded the current technology made interstellar travel unfeasible but not impossible. IMHO it's at least a few hundred years off.

I can laugh about it now, but when I first read John 10:16 I thought the 'pen' he was talking about was our solar system and the 'other sheep' were aliens. Heh, that's pretty far out there which is why I don't trust my interpretations anymore. I see now the verse is talking about the gentiles and Jews being one flock under Jesus.

I just heard today about an experiment they're going to be sending plants to grow on the moon. The idea other planets with water is very interesting.

if there are aliens they they would also be under the same sin and I assume they would also need a bible of sorts and means of atonement.jesus would have to become on of them to save them. thus why I don't bother this.

however, given the influence of naturalism and also atheism and finnaly sci-fi. we humans seem to assume almost by programming that any visititor to earth would be benign. when they could be worse then us. in general. some sci-fi has them as the bad guys.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back