Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When to not teach Christianity?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
B

BronzeStray

I've become acquainted with someone, let's name her Ainca [Bonus points if you're capable of unscrambling that and can determine why I chose to use it in this situation :tongue] and she's been making me ponder this. Basically, she was born into a family of devout Baptists who refused to let her question anything outside of Christianity. She was even denied reading the Quran, New Age books, and whatnot just because her family was afraid she would convert; little do they know she was an atheist at ten, and converted to a pagan religion at fourteen. Quite frankly, she dreams of maiming her family because they hate her and refuse to let her be herself -- actually, her family seems to like her, but she's quick to point out they know nothing about her and spite her sin, and as her sin is a part of her they therefore hate her. Apparently, her mother even said her type of people needs to be locked up. She had no control over her life and turned sadistic as a result, she even had a period where she tortured cats if I recall correctly. She automatically began to shun Christians as she knew they wouldn't tolerate her true self, and became obsessed with mocking it and she amazingly informed me that she owns a copy of Passion of the Christ, just because she finds it to be one of the most entertaining movies ever created and she found the scourging laughable. Although, I do think she only told me that because she wanted to scare me, I wouldn't doubt it's true to some extent.

It's rather interesting that she's not a rebel and finds most illegal activates pointless anyway, or just stupid-- like drinking, but she now refuses to ever contact her family again unless it's to smite them. Supporting this is that she’s willing to work on any holiday as she says she has no one anyway, so she might as well use the day to gain triple the amount of pay she normally would get.

I really don’t think this is what her family wanted as they seemed to have good intentions, but it does go back to that question. When to not force the Bible on your children?

It is hard to force a book that advocates killing her. (Exodus 22:18 or 22:20)

I have had a relative stop talking to me when I told him I was atheist. It really sucks to lose someone you love because they disagree with you about religion. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose your whole family.

If you want to be her friend, just let her know you are Christian and don't push anything on her. If she is curious, she will ask. If you push, you will probably just push her away.

Quath

If you want to be her friend, just let her know you are Christian and don't push anything on her. If she is curious, she will ask. If you push, you will probably just push her away.

I'm personally not what many of the individuals here would define as Christian. :tongue I believe the Bible itself was man-made and thus doesn't hold water, but there still may be a God who sent his only son to die for our sins, and thus I'm an agnostic of sorts.

Still, it's a topic that I hold as important as I doubt many Christians consider all the possible consequences of their intolerance that often and forcing their beliefs down those who are unwilling to recieve it often increase the sin of the person in question.

I tend to agree with the other poster here. There is such a thing as relational evangelism. Be there for her when she needs a friend, don't let yourself see her as a "project" nor be unhealthly consumed by her either and most important - listen to her and not force anything on her. One thing that I've learned from some of my wiccan friends, is you can't force anyone and to just let them see Jesus in your life.

prayerpower said:
I tend to agree with the other poster here. There is such a thing as relational evangelism. Be there for her when she needs a friend, don't let yourself see her as a "project" nor be unhealthly consumed by her either and most important - listen to her and not force anything on her. One thing that I've learned from some of my wiccan friends, is you can't force anyone and to just let them see Jesus in your life.
Why would you be friends with wiccans? :roll:

Quite frankly, she dreams of maiming her family because they hate her and refuse to let her be herself -- actually, her family seems to like her, but she's quick to point out they know nothing about her and spite her sin, and as her sin is a part of her they therefore hate her.

"Being herself" might be very destructive. Is she "being herself" through drugs and random sexual partners, or just ideas? It is her parent's job to actually raise her and discipline her to be a person who may grow up to be a contributing member of society. And it is also their responsibility to warn her about paths she may be wanting to take that are flat out stupid. If "being yourself" is actually wanting to be a complete moron and be self destructive, then I agree that they were trying to take action.

And I'm not getting it, but you say her family hates her and likes her, I'm confused. If they don't know anything about her has she actually talked to them about it, or assumed "they should know". And I question whether or not they actually hate her because of her sin. They may be disappointed, but I seriously doubt they take it to the point of hate. Otherwise they themselves have quite a bit to learn about Christianity and the teachings of Christ.

She automatically began to shun Christians as she knew they wouldn't tolerate her true self
Did she just assume this? This usually happens when you go up to someone call them idiots and then expect them to be welcoming and nice because they are Christians in spite of the reversal of a supposed hatred.

I have many non Christian friends who know I'm a Christian, and they know I don't agree with a lot of things they do, but never have they thought I hated them personally for the sinful things they have done.

I honestly don't know if it is your friend's parents were crazy with their sheltering of their children, or if your friend is just another idiot "finding themselves" through a basic negativity of what their parents are. This is pretty common among teenagers and unfortunately some never grow out of it. :sad

When to not force the Bible on your children?
No where does it say to force Christianity upon anybody. I definately think you should raise your children in a Christian environment if you are a Christian, but it is up to the child to decide whether or not they want to follow Christ. Teach them about Christ, but you can't believe for them.

New_Creation said:
prayerpower said:
Why would you be friends with wiccans? :roll:
Who did Jesus befriend? Was it the religious? Nope, He was friends with sinners and because of that, they became His followers. Hopefully this person can show the love of Christ to people who are searching for truth and it will be something they want.

Though PP, I would say that you should be careful and use discernment to know that the enemy wants you in their camp. Don't bend in your faith and never make it seem like you approve of wicca.

Back