Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Where is the Christian media?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
P

Poke

I just watched the first episode of a new TV series “Dead Like Me.†The plot of this comedy is that a teenage girl is killed and then recruited to be a Grim Reaper. In a voice-over, she says she has been “reborn, but not in a creepy religious way.†In other words, being a Grim Reaper is less creepy than being a Christian!

In adds now running for the new movie, Talladega Nights, Jesus is openly mocked on prime-time TV, without warning.

A few months ago, a South Park episode featured Jesus defecating on the US flag, as well as a crowd of people. The same episode had Mohammad as a delivery guy, but he was blocked out so you couldn't see him.

I'd say that 9 out of 10 movies that make reference to Jesus or Christians does so in a deliberately insulting manner. Yet, what is the Christian response? It's not to accuse these hate-mongers of hate, it's to buy tickets to the movies. What other group does this?

Where are the Christian movies and TV shows? If you know of any, they are either garbage or too focused on overt Christianity to have any appeal to the secular world, probably both. The recent blockbuster Narnia movie is the only exception I can think of off hand, and its Christian element seems gratuitous. Some of the better “Christian†movies and TV shows are made by cults, and are calculatingly anti-Christian. There's a Highway to Heaven episode in which we learn it is evil for the minister of a Christian Church to want the Church's preschool to be Christian, rather than a secular preschool. I won't even get started on the garbage that fills the so-called Christian television networks.

So, where are the Christian movies and TV shows? Most mega churches have the budget that would allow them to create wholesome, Christian-friendly shows that can appeal to the secular world. But, look at what we get from them. The upcoming Church-made Facing the Giants might be shown in church basements, but none of your secular friends are going to want to watch it.

I see no reason why a Christian-friendly studio couldn't be profitable. Nor do I see any lack of resources in the Christian community to get the ball rolling. What I see is less than flattering of American Christianity.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back