Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why do we trash everyone else?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
S

smalls884

Our criticism reaches so far as to trash even the very small religions like voodoo and Scandinavian religions that believe spirits live in rocks.. yet we dont point that finger at ourselves.

By "we" are you referring to Christians? I don't think we "trash" everyone else. I know I don't.

Please expand and explain.

I agree with Nick; I don't think we (Christians in general) "trash" everyone else, and certainly not anymore so than other faiths. I'm also pretty sure that there are millions of Jew's, Hindu's, Buddhists, atheists and many members of the aforementioned smaller religions who are saying the exact same thing as you.

To be honest, I think Christians are extremely tolerant compared to others.

Yes I agree. While I don't believe what Muslims for instance believe, I still respect their belief and I still respect them as a person, whereas I get the feeling that Muslims are not so tolerant of other religions (I am probably generalizing here).
I definitely think that many people think that we "trash" everyone else, but this is simply not the case.

Nick_29 said:
....While I don't believe what Muslims for instance believe, I still respect their belief and I still respect them as a person, whereas I get the feeling that Muslims are not so tolerant of other religions(I am probably generalizing here)....

No, as a former Muslim, I can tell you that you are not generalizing; the vast majority of Muslims to a varying degree are intolerant of others. This is due to a fundemental problem in Islam; it's holy scriptures. I do not respect their beliefs, as a Christian, how can I? According to Islam, Christians are second-class citizens. As an apostate of Islam, I do not respect their beliefs, how can I? According to Islam, it is the duty of all Muslims to kill me.

Here are some links to threads I have started in regards to Islam, if you would like to learn more:
APOSTACY IN ISLAM IS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH Death by Islam: the Numbers in Perspective TOP MUSLIM SCHOLAR DEBATES EX-MUSLIM

And here is a link to a thread started by another member, on Wife-beating being lawful in Islam:
The Keys To A Successfull Marriage In Islam

Seeing as we are ALL human beings and SINFUL I do feel that regardless of denomination, religion, or culture that we all tend to be judgemental. Does this include Christians? Yes. I cannot begin to count how many times I have seen someone tossed out of a Christian church because of the clothes they wear or their lifestyles. Sometimes I think we tend to forget that Jesus came to help the lost.

NOT to say in the least that Christians are the only ones who do this, who trash others, for indeed as I have said before ALL MANKIND IS GUILTY. Hopefully though this can be something improved upon.

I am sorry if I offend anyone with my choice of words. No offense is intended.

May God Bless You

Danielle

As Christians, it's kind of a given that we don't take to idol worship or false gods, and we tend to be kind of intolerant to people that do.

Sometimes I have a hard time "sharing" my faith with others if I know that they're Catholic or Mormon or what have you -- unless they specifically ask, because they want to know, it can get kind of sticky.

I know that occasionally when I read about other religions and what they believe, it can make me very...upset. Especially those religions that masquerade as Christian religions while all the time adding to the bible, or trying to take away from God's word. I actually am not necessarily so much "trashing" others for what they believe, but am more admonishing for how incredibly gullible some followers can be. I guess I should be more angry at the individuals that "thought up" the religion in the first place. I also prefer to think of it as "venting", which most of us seem to do here on this forum at some time or another.

But yeah, I guess you're right -- it isn't necessarily kind.

I do of course recognize that Christians are guilty of being judgmental, but I (i did generalize) say that I believe that we don't "trash" everyone else, and that people (in general) like Muslims seem to be more "trashing" to people not in Islam than other religions.

Nick_29 said:
...i did generalize...

Yes, you did, :biggrin and I got my terms mixed-up in the process. I contradicted myself when I said "vast majority" which is also a generalisation. :oops

Back to the OP and as I've said previously; Christians in general are no less tolerant than any other faith and in certain cases are more so. There is always room for improvements and a lot of individual Christians are well aware of this and will openly criticize themselves for their shortcomings while others will not, but the OP itself is generalizing, as most Christians in the East are nothing like the majority of Christians in the West. In fact, I'm pretty sure that there are not any two Christians in this world who share the exact same attitudes or beliefs.

Where I am originally from, (on top of the ceaseless persecution by Muslim's) we have Buddhist Monks kidnapping and killing Christians and in Orissa we have Hindu's burning churches and Christians alive, but I have never "trashed" their faiths because it is not their faith that is making them do this. Nowhere in Hindu or Buddhist scriptures does it command them to kill those who disbelieve or kill those who turn their back on their faith, and the same applies to Christians. We've had homeless people attend our Anglican church just to escape the cold and we've had Sikhs and Hindu's attend out of curiosity and no one is ever turned away. Turning people away based on their dress or personal lifestyle IMO is an un-Christian thing to do.

This only further highlights some of the general differences between many Christian's in the East and many Christian's in the West. While a Western Christian (judging by our gun poll) would most likely not hesitate in using violence to protect themselves from attack, in the East we have many (largely ignored) Christians who will not lift a finger to defend themselves and in-turn they are glorifying Christ by becoming great martyrs of the faith. When people or Christians themselves stereotype Christianity based on the actions of some, it is unfair to those who while sharing the same belief in Christ can be polar opposites of each other.

So the question Why do we trash everyone else? is made redundant, as it begins with a false premise.

Turning people away based on their dress or personal lifestyle IMO is an un-Christian thing to do.

This only further highlights some of the general differences between many Christian's in the East and many Christian's in the West. While a Western Christian (judging by our gun poll) would most likely not hesitate in using violence to protect themselves from attack, in the East we have many (largely ignored) Christians who will not lift a finger to defend themselves and in-turn they are glorifying Christ by becoming great martyrs of the faith. When people or Christians themselves stereotype Christianity based on the actions of some, it is unfair to those who while sharing the same belief in Christ can be polar opposites of each other.

So the question Why do we trash everyone else? is made redundant, as it begins with a false premise.

Wow. That rocked. :thumb

I will be the first to admit that I judge people and that I'm not a perfect person. I will also readily admit that Christians definitely are guilty of maybe not respecting people because of what they believe, but it is a big generalization to say that we trash everyone else, and is simply not true for the bulk of Christians. Sure, you're always going to have Christians that don't seem to respect anyone that is not of the Christian faith, but the vast majority of Christians are pretty respectful towards others, and this is taught in the scriptures.

Gabriel, what do you mean by East and West? Where exactly are you talking about? I don't live in the same country or even region than you do so what you consider to be the west and east could be different from me.

Seeing some of the responses I would like to clear something up in my previous response of which may have been taken the wrong way, if I may.

When I said that Christians too are responsible for trashing others, I was not meaning to generalize and say that as believers Christians do it more or less than anyone else. Nor did I mean to say that all Christians do it. Though I do believe that ALL of US as people do, in fact, tend to be judgmental and otherwise towards one another on certain issues and the like.

Basically what I am trying to say here is what I said before: ALL MANKIND IS GUILTY of trashing one another. There is not one of us that I feel to be without some form of rude comment towards another person, myself included.

Which is something I feel everyone, again myself included, can improve upon while in our walk with Christ. I apologize again if I was misunderstood in any way, also if I offended anyone. My intentions are not to hurt anyone here, so I am truly sorry if I did.

May God Bless You

Danielle

LostLamb said:
Seeing some of the responses I would like to clear something up in my previous response of which may have been taken the wrong way, if I may.

When I said that Christians too are responsible for trashing others, I was not meaning to generalize and say that as believers Christians do it more or less than anyone else. Nor did I mean to say that all Christians do it. Though I do believe that ALL of US as people do, in fact, tend to be judgmental and otherwise towards one another on certain issues and the like.

Basically what I am trying to say here is what I said before: ALL MANKIND IS GUILTY of trashing one another. There is not one of us that I feel to be without some form of rude comment towards another person, myself included.

Which is something I feel everyone, again myself included, can improve upon while in our walk with Christ. I apologize again if I was misunderstood in any way, also if I offended anyone. My intentions are not to hurt anyone here, so I am truly sorry if I did.

May God Bless You

Danielle

I will agree with that.

I agree with both of you, and Danielle, I understood your post perfectly. I was using some of your past experiences with Christian churches and comparing them with mine to address the OP and how it's a material fallacy. Just because the Christians smalls884 has come into contact with disrespect other beliefs does not mean that all Christians disrespect other beliefs.

Nick_29 said:
...Gabriel, what do you mean by East and West? Where exactly are you talking about? I don't live in the same country or even region than you do so what you consider to be the west and east could be different from me.

Bangladesh, but that is not really important as I was over-generalizing to make a point that all Christians are different and that it's unfair to pigeon-hole them all as intolerant, which I realise you agree with.

Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Php 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

He is sovereign, He is just and He is merciful. He is sovereign in that He answers to nobody. He is just in that concerning all things He is right. And He is merciful in that He pardons according to His will those who do not deserve it.
No matter who you are, a commoner, a King, a President, an Ayatollah or Mohammad himself you and all will bow before Him confessing that Jesus Christ is Lord.

:yes :thumb

Pray for them.
:pray

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back