Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why I am here

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
T

trustinGod

Last year I was saved. It felt incredible! I suddenly had a thirst for the Lord. I wanted to be surrounded by him in music, church, the bible, bible study etc. It was like I was thirsty for 30 yrs and suddenly was given water. I drank and drank and drank. I always believed in God but not the bible so much.
I thought that there on out I would feel this way. I had no doubts and felt on fire.
I still believe. Just now I have little niggling doubts that come into my mind. I have to admit that usually they happen because of a parenting forum I frequent. It has nothing to do specifically with that forum because it happens on any forum. As soon as I read someone scoffing the burning bush, the serpent, how Jesus walked on water (anything hard to believe really) it makes me question. So that is why I am here. I want to surround myself with people who believe. I need to stay away from non-believers because I am too easily given to doubt. Is it because I am new? Does everyone have doubt? I have no idea. All I know is the best I felt was when I was on fire and I want to get that back.

Many people confuse the emotional "high" they get when they first become a Christian with a state of feeling and experience they want to recapture. You want to be careful that you do not get sucked into a Christian life that is a continual pursuit of emotional sensations.

One thing that almost every church is a complete failure at is helping their members grow into the image of Christ. Yet this is the very purpose of the church. Often programs, classes, events, and activities overshadow Christ to such an extent that He can seem an abstraction and unrelated to "real" life.

For those who do grow closer to the image of Christ, what you find is the peace of Christ as opposed to the peace of the world. The peace of the world is compromise and the absence of conflict. The peace of Christ is the spiritual ability to transcend the effect of conflict. It is how martyrs can sing hymns as they are burned at the stake.

There is a process called sanctification (setting aside for holy purpose) that is supposed to happen to Christians. This growth is in proportion to how much the Christian grows from the flesh (self) to the Spirit (love).

As we grow in Christ, we grow in love. We also decrease in self. In James it says if we draw near to God, He will draw near to us. The closer we draw nearer to God, the less the influence of this evil world or even our sinful flesh has over us.

Paul writes about the frustration of trying to live a successful Christian life by the power of the flesh in Romans chapter seven. He then contrasts the joy of living victoriously by the Spirit in chapter eight.

There is a hymn that quotes a Bible verse, "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I entrusted to Him against that day." It is a statement of faith.

You may want to read the book, "The practice of the Presence of God" by brother Lawrence. It is not all sound doctrine, but it is an encouraging look at a simple and deep faith.

You mentioned that you were vulnerable to having your faith shaken. This is very common for new believers. In Ephesians four we are told that Christian maturity brings with it a decrease in being "blown by every wind of doctrine". Just as a tree grows stronger than a sapling, the Christian who grows in the knowledge of God has a more certain foundation for his faith.

If you have difficulty finding a church that can help you grow in the knowledge of the Lord and in Christ-likeness, you may have to seek out an older wiser Christian who clearly shows the light and love of Christ in their life. You can then ask this person to help you know Jesus like they do.

Timf said:
Many people confuse the emotional "high" they get when they first become a Christian with a state of feeling and experience they want to recapture. You want to be careful that you do not get sucked into a Christian life that is a continual pursuit of emotional sensations.

One thing that almost every church is a complete failure at is helping their members grow into the image of Christ. Yet this is the very purpose of the church. Often programs, classes, events, and activities overshadow Christ to such an extent that He can seem an abstraction and unrelated to "real" life.

For those who do grow closer to the image of Christ, what you find is the peace of Christ as opposed to the peace of the world. The peace of the world is compromise and the absence of conflict. The peace of Christ is the spiritual ability to transcend the effect of conflict. It is how martyrs can sing hymns as they are burned at the stake.

There is a process called sanctification (setting aside for holy purpose) that is supposed to happen to Christians. This growth is in proportion to how much the Christian grows from the flesh (self) to the Spirit (love).

As we grow in Christ, we grow in love. We also decrease in self. In James it says if we draw near to God, He will draw near to us. The closer we draw nearer to God, the less the influence of this evil world or even our sinful flesh has over us.

Paul writes about the frustration of trying to live a successful Christian life by the power of the flesh in Romans chapter seven. He then contrasts the joy of living victoriously by the Spirit in chapter eight.

There is a hymn that quotes a Bible verse, "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I entrusted to Him against that day." It is a statement of faith.

You may want to read the book, "The practice of the Presence of God" by brother Lawrence. It is not all sound doctrine, but it is an encouraging look at a simple and deep faith.

You mentioned that you were vulnerable to having your faith shaken. This is very common for new believers. In Ephesians four we are told that Christian maturity brings with it a decrease in being "blown by every wind of doctrine". Just as a tree grows stronger than a sapling, the Christian who grows in the knowledge of God has a more certain foundation for his faith.

If you have difficulty finding a church that can help you grow in the knowledge of the Lord and in Christ-likeness, you may have to seek out an older wiser Christian who clearly shows the light and love of Christ in their life. You can then ask this person to help you know Jesus like they do.

Amen Tim! :amen

Thank you. I am thinking and rereading. There is a lot to take in and absorb. Thank you again. :)

You have experienced what most Christians have had happen in the beginning. So much new experience is quite difficult to match as time goes on, so it's easy to get "cooled off" then reheated slightly later. You mentioned a lack of interest in the Bible, so there's where I'd say you got off track very early. You love your body enough to feed it daily, and you need to feed your inner "spiritman" too. None of Jesus' apostles would have been able to follow without daily feasting on Jesus' words, and neither can a Christian survive apart from His counsel. The once precious relationship with the Lord breaks down into a mere powerless religion if not built up daily.

When I was born again in 1976 I immediately stopped watching TV, movies, reading books, the works. I read the New Testament through non-stop, then did it again after a day's rest. That tear I read the Old Testament through 3 times, and the NT once a month. I was made adult Sunday School teacher, and a year later was a substitute preacher. The next year the deacon board asked me to attend S. Baptist seminary in view of a career as a pastor. I quit my government forestry job to attend. 3 years later I was cold as a block of ice, no longer on fire. The problem? I was learning a lot about the religion, but had stopped reading the Bible. They require way too much extra-biblical reading to stay awake to read the Bible like should be. I just didn't have time for that, but found time for "The Holiest of All" and "The Typology of Scripture" and many other textbooks which serve me nor God nearly not at all. I discovered I wasn't really called to be a pastor, lacking a "shepherd's heart" while serving as interim pastor between Junior and Senior year. It is vital to be specifically called by God to accept that important position. I quit and re-entered the government career, refunding the church's investment. It didn't take long to get back in the habit of daily Bible reading and quality prayer time. My former love for the things of God returned, and the Lord put me into ministries as He willed, not people wanting. My life-source is the Word of God, and doing it.

I can't go more than 24 hours without quite a lot of Bible study, else I suffer. I limit internet discussions that expose me to too many personal opinions about the Bible and Christianity or anti-Christian talk. Like you it grieves me to see scoffers attack the precious things of God, but I always have the truth to respond back with. It is impossible to withstand their constant absurdities without a heavy diet of Word. It's imperative to go aside like Jesus did to spend time with God. Fill up with Bible before engaging anyone not ministering the Word of God. That includes parenting groups. I've seen a lot of very poor advice in places like that. There are miserable people there who need to come here and just learn a while.

Back