Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why Thomas is misrepresented - notes

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Grazer

Over the last couple of weeks, Thomas has been used as an example of who we shouldn't be like because he doubted Jesus. I've been planning to write a book on why Thomas is who we should be like in some ways and why he's misrepresented by many Christians today. So below are my current notes from my book.

I want to stress that these are just notes. The points touched on have not been fully formed, links between passages have not been fully explored and they're in no particular order. I'm putting the notes up now so to get some feedback on the points, the general direction I'm going and to put a very brief case as to why I think Thomas has been misjudged.

Please keep any feedback constructive and enjoy :)

Peter says he will lay down his life for Jesus yet is rebuked for it with Jesus saying Peter will disown him before the rooster crows 3 times (John 13:37-38) When Thomas states that the disciples should go with Jesus so they may die with him, Jesus doesn’t rebuke him. Admittedly it’s not documented in the account what Jesus’ response was, the account picks up with them on their way to Lazarus’s tomb but it shows Thomas has no doubts regarding Jesus, he was willing die with him.

Either side of the incident with Peter, were 2 further questions from the disciples to Jesus; 1 from Simon Peter and the other Thomas. Neither were met with the admonishment that was dished out to Peter (John 13:36 and John 14:5-6)

But the main story that got Thomas his reputation is documented in John 20 (John 20:19-31) I have several issues with the conclusion that we are not to be like Thomas and that we are to believe without evidence;

- Thomas doubted what the other disciples told him, nothing more
- All the disciples needed to see Jesus before believing he had been raised from the dead
- Jesus allowed Thomas to face his doubts
- Thomas was able to come to a place where he could make a declaration of faith because of what Jesus did

Thomas doubted but he when he got the evidence he needed he gave his life back to Christ. Jesus criticised Philip for asking for more evidence about who he was (John 14:8) Jesus answered that he should have had enough evidence since he saw him (John 14:9) Not every Christian has actually met Jesus yet we believe.

Reference in Mark that Jesus chided them for their lack of faith but throughout the disciples time with Jesus, they were always off the pace, never really getting what he was trying to tell them. No one believed Jesus had raised from the dead until they saw him. It was a case of needing to see to believe. But this doesn’t equate to Jesus wanting us to believe without evidence. John 20:30-31 essentially tells us that he wrote his gospel so that we have evidence so that we can believe. Luke opens his gospel with a similar thing. Jesus frequently made comments about the miracles he’d done but people still did not believe. He gave them the evidence, they saw what he did and still did not believe. The disciples and Thomas saw Jesus after he was raised and did believe.

Children ask the most basic fundamental questions adults take for granted and will not trust their parents if they have sufficient reasons not to.

Thomas ended up in India. He had no qualms about dieing for proclaiming who Jesus was even before

We all need something; some just need the Bible others need more but we all need something. Without evidence, we can’t say the Koran is wrong or that atheism is wrong.

We all have doubts but the Thomas story shows that Jesus will allow us to confront and overcome those doubts and our faith can be stronger for it

This is very good Grazer.
I have never given it considerable thought before and your points are well made.
I hope to hear more on this.

Tomas represented my interests when he said he would not believe till he put his fingers in the holes in His hands and in his side.
Then when he drropped to the ground saying My Lord and My God!, That is when doubts faded. Thomas was from Missouri, too, and would not believe without seeing for himself. I have always been thankful for Thomas.

Ok more notes :)

As before these are just notes not fully formed ideas :)

2 stories in Luke seem to show 2 people asking virtually identical questions but getting to very different responses.

The priest Zechariah (some translations have Zacharias) is told he will have a son, asks how can this be and is struck dumb by Gabriel (Luke 1:5-25)

Mary is told she will have a son, asks how can this be and gets an answer from Gabriel (Luke 1:26-38)

Zechariah was a priest, he believed in God and Luke says he was righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commands and decrees blamelessly. Yet he still didn't believe when he was told he would have a son. He wanted more evidence like philip did.

Mary wasn't and she had no evidence so Gabriel laid it out for her. Similar to Thomas

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from in the list of disciples, Thomas only appears in johns gospel. Need to look at who wrote johns gospel, when, why and compare to the other 3.

The passage in Mark about Jesus rebuking them for their lack of faith is in the section that does not appear in the earliest manuscripts. Need to look into possibility this was added after John

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Back