Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Will David reign with Jesus in the Millennial Kingdom?"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

WalterandDebbie

Sabbath Overseer
After the Tribulation and the Battle of Armageddon, Jesus will establish His 1,000-year Kingdom on earth. In Jeremiah 30, God promises Israel that the yoke of foreign oppression would be cast off forever, and “instead, they will serve the Lord their God and David their king, whom I will raise up for them” (verse 9). Speaking of the same time, God says through the prophet Ezekiel, “My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees” (Ezekiel 37:24). From the prophecies of Jeremiah and Ezekiel, some have concluded that King David will be resurrected during the Millennium and installed as co-regent over Israel, ruling the Kingdom with Jesus Christ.

Jeremiah’s and Ezekiel’s prophecies should be understood this way: the Jews would one day return to their own country, their yoke of slavery would be removed, their fellowship with God would be restored, and God would provide them with a King of His own choosing. This King would, in some way, be like King David of old. These passages can refer to none other than the long-awaited Messiah, the “Servant of the Lord” (cf. Isaiah 42:1). The Jews sometimes referred to the Messiah as “David” because it was known the Messiah would come from David’s lineage. The New Testament often refers to Jesus as the “Son of David” (Matthew 15:22; Mark 10:47).

There are other reasons, besides being the Son of David, that the Messiah is referred to as “David.” King David in the Old Testament was a man after God’s own heart (Acts 13:22), he was an unlikely king of God’s own choosing, and the Spirit of God was upon Him (1 Samuel 16:12–13). David, then, is a type of Christ (a type is a person who foreshadows someone else). Another example of this kind of typology is Elijah, whose ministry foreshadowed that of John the Baptist to the extent that Malachi called John “Elijah” (Malachi 4:5; cf. Luke 1:17; Mark 9:11–13).

David will be resurrected at the beginning of the Millennium, along with all the other Old Testament saints. And David will be one of those who reign with Jesus in the Kingdom (Daniel 7:27). However, all believers will rule the nations (Revelation 2:26–27; 20:4) and judge the world (1 Corinthians 6:2). The apostle Peter calls Christians “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation” (1 Peter 2:9). In Revelation 3:21, Jesus says about the believer who conquers, “I will grant him to sit with me on my throne.” In some sense, then, Christians will share authority with Christ (cf. Ephesians 2:6). There is some biblical evidence, as in the Parable of the Ten Minas (Luke 19:11–27), that individuals will be given more or less authority in the Kingdom according to how they handle the responsibilities God has given them in this age (Luke 19:17).

Jesus is the King of kings (Revelation 19:16). Humanly speaking, Jesus is from the Davidic dynasty; but in power, in glory, in righteousness, and in every other way, He is rightly called the Greater David. “The government will be on his shoulders” (Isaiah 9:6). The Old and New Testaments reveal that the future King during the Millennium and all eternity is Jesus Christ and Him alone (Jeremiah 23:5; Isaiah 9:7; 33:22; Revelation 17:14; 1 Timothy 6:15).

Recommended Resources: Thy Kingdom Come by J. Dwight Pentecost and Logos Bible Software.

Question: "Will David reign with Jesus in the Millennial Kingdom?"

Answer:
After theTribulationand theBattle of Armageddon, Jesus will establish His 1,000-year Kingdom on earth. InJeremiah 30, God promises Israel that the yoke of foreign oppression would be cast off forever, and “instead, they will serve the Lord their God and David their king, whom I will raise up for them” (verse 9). Speaking of the same time, God says through the prophet Ezekiel, “My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees” (Ezekiel 37:24). From the prophecies of Jeremiah and Ezekiel, some have concluded that King David will be resurrected during theMillenniumand installed as co-regent over Israel, ruling the Kingdom with Jesus Christ.

Jeremiah’s and Ezekiel’s prophecies should be understood this way: the Jews would one day return to their own country, their yoke of slavery would be removed, their fellowship with God would be restored, and God would provide them with a King of His own choosing. This King would, in some way, be like King David of old. These passages can refer to none other than the long-awaited Messiah, the “Servant of the Lord” (cf.Isaiah 42:1). The Jews sometimes referred to the Messiah as “David” because it was known the Messiah would come from David’s lineage. The New Testament often refers to Jesus as the “Son of David” (Matthew 15:22;Mark 10:47).

There are other reasons, besides being the Son of David, that the Messiah is referred to as “David.” King David in the Old Testament was a man after God’s own heart (Acts 13:22), he was an unlikely king of God’s own choosing, and the Spirit of God was upon Him (1 Samuel 16:12–13). David, then, is atypeof Christ (a type is a person who foreshadows someone else). Another example of this kind of typology is Elijah, whose ministry foreshadowed that of John the Baptist to the extent that Malachi called John “Elijah” (Malachi 4:5; cf.Luke 1:17;Mark 9:11–13).

David will be resurrected at the beginning of the Millennium, along with all the other Old Testament saints. And David will be one of those who reign with Jesus in the Kingdom (Daniel 7:27). However, all believers will rule the nations (Revelation 2:26–27;20:4) and judge the world (1 Corinthians 6:2). The apostle Peter calls Christians “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation” (1 Peter 2:9). InRevelation 3:21, Jesus says about the believer who conquers, “I will grant him to sit with me on my throne.” In some sense, then, Christians will share authority with Christ (cf.Ephesians 2:6). There is some biblical evidence, as in the Parable of the Ten Minas (Luke 19:11–27), that individuals will be given more or less authority in the Kingdom according to how they handle the responsibilities God has given them in this age (Luke 19:17).

Jesus is the King of kings (Revelation 19:16). Humanly speaking, Jesus is from the Davidic dynasty; but in power, in glory, in righteousness, and in every other way, He is rightly called the Greater David. “The government will be on his shoulders” (Isaiah 9:6). The Old and New Testaments reveal that the future King during the Millennium and all eternity is Jesus Christ and Him alone (Jeremiah 23:5;Isaiah 9:7;33:22;Revelation 17:14;1 Timothy 6:15).

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/David-kingdom.html#ixzz3OGX3ffso

These are great scriptures showing that the Messiah is the one referred to as David.
He is rightly called the Greater David
There is not a single Scripture which calls Christ "the Greater David". Someone confused this with "a greater than Solomon is here" (Mt 12:42).

If we are to accept all Scripture in its plain literal sense then king David will indeed sit on David's throne under the Lord Jesus Christ, whose throne is above, and who is LORD over David. Similarly the twelve apostles will literally sit on twelve thrones ruling the twelve tribes of Israel under David.

This is all so simple and logical if we accept it by faith. When we try to use human reasoning we come up with terms like "the Greater David". Conservative Christians beleive that Jesus is none other than "the LORD (YHWH) their God" (whom Isaiah saw sitting on His throne in Isa 6), therefore we need to pay close attention (for starters) to this passage (Hosea 3:4,5):
4For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:
5Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.

David will rule or be "regent" under the King, the LORD of Hosts (the Lord Jesus Christ) (Zech 14:9,16):
9And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.16And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Yes, I believe that David will be raised again, and rule over Israel (Ezekiel 37:24). The church will rule over the world and various cities depending on one's faithfulness (Luke 19:12-19). This is how I see Micah 4:5 coming to pass during the millennium everyone will be waking in the name of their god (magistrate) while the saints look to Christ (the Lord their God) directly. I envision it as a chain of command. Lastly Christ will rule the entire earth (Zechariah 14:9). This is just a crude idea as I don't know how the Lord will assign the ruling privileges individually, but just a general idea of what it entails. As we can see, we have a supreme King over the earth (Christ), then King David (also referred to as the prince, BTW in the end of Ezekiel) over the elevated nation of Israel as Jerusalem will be lifted up and safely inhabited (Zechariah 14:10). It will be above all nations. And then the church over-comers will rule the nations (Psalms 2:8-9).

In short, definitely a government of God with Christ at its head and many rulers, just as we have a President in the USA, governors, Congressmen, down to mayors and supervisors.

Do we just rule? No, we will teach the world God's Law (Revelation 1:6) so that the nations get it right. There will be a massive salvation of people during this time. The church is just the firstfruits depicted by Pentecost. There's a latter harvest yet to come. I'll stop there with the eschatology since the question at hand is about King David ruling again.

After the Tribulation and the Battle of Armageddon, Jesus will establish His 1,000-year Kingdom on earth. In Jeremiah 30, God promises Israel that the yoke of foreign oppression would be cast off forever, and “instead, they will serve the Lord their God and David their king, whom I will raise up for them” (verse 9). Speaking of the same time, God says through the prophet Ezekiel, “My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd.

Yes David will rule as the scripture says.

The ruling authority of David, and all the other heroes of the Old Testament, within Jesus' millennium is reflected today in the reverence expressed for these individuals in the hearts and minds of today's Christians. The triumph of Jesus means all those positively associated with Him are elevated as authorities in the ways of God, which the rest of the world can learn from.

The ruling authority of David, and all the other heroes of the Old Testament, within Jesus' millennium is reflected today in the reverence expressed for these individuals in the hearts and minds of today's Christians. The triumph of Jesus means all those positively associated with Him are elevated as authorities in the ways of God, which the rest of the world can learn from.

Sounds like some Preteristic way to explain away the literal Reign Of Jesus Christ on this earth with His people.

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. Revelation 20:4

David will rule in the millennial kingdom, which has not come to pass yet, because Jesus has not returned.

JLB

Sounds like some Preteristic way to explain away the literal Reign Of Jesus Christ on this earth with His people.

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. Revelation 20:4

David will rule in the millennial kingdom, which has not come to pass yet, because Jesus has not returned.

JLB

Where did I explain away anything? I just gave another way of looking at how Jesus' Reign can be expressed through His followers, perhaps as a shadow of some more literal manifestation. However, to be strictly literal, David was not beheaded, so Rev 20:4 can't be used to support his reign in the millennial kingdom.:oops2

Where did I explain away anything? I just gave another way of looking at how Jesus' Reign can be expressed through His followers, perhaps as a shadow of some more literal manifestation. However, to be strictly literal, David was not beheaded, so Rev 20:4 can't be used to support his reign in the millennial kingdom.:oops2

The verse was used to establish that there will be 1000 years of Reign with Christ, and there will be many who will Reign with Christ from thrones for a literal 1000 year period.

JLB

The verse was used to establish that there will be 1000 years of Reign with Christ, and there will be many who will Reign with Christ from thrones for a literal 1000 year period.

JLB

Sure, you can wed yourself to a literal 1000yr Reign, but then you run into contradictions with scripture that can be resolved with the understanding that 1000yrs can be symbolic for eternal.

Rev 11:14 - The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.
Rev 11:15 ¶ And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.​

Sure, you can wed yourself to a literal 1000yr Reign, but then you run into contradictions with scripture that can be resolved with the understanding that 1000yrs can be symbolic for eternal.

Rev 11:14 - The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.
Rev 11:15 ¶ And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.​

The 1000 year Reign with Christ, is the Day of Rest.

It is the Seventh day.

But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The One Thousand year Reign with Christ is The Sabbath Day of Rest to come, that we will enjoy with Christ.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. Hebrews 4:1

and again -

For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. Hebrews 4:8-9

The KJV says it this way -

For if Jesus had given them rest , then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. Hebrews 4:8

The 1000 year Reighn with Christ, is the Day of Rest.

So far man has been on earth for 6 Prophetic days [6000 years].

The Seven Thousandth Year is the Sabbath Day of Rest.

JLB

Thinking King David as equal to Christ to rule with Christ just must be a miss reading of Scripture for a Christian..

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back