Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] worried about my dog

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
He was diagnosed with a heart murmur a few years ago and is on lifelong medication. At his last appointment the vet said it sounds like it might be getting more pronounced and asked if he was coughing a lot. He wasn't at the time.
Now he is, and we can barely afford to take either of our pets to the vet even in the event of an emergency. (Of course, we would. We're not just going to let them suffer.)

Will pray for his health, and that you would have the means to take care of him.
I'm sorry :sad

And now he has some sort of material stuck on the outside of his eye over the iris. From a Google search cataracts seem to be internal(?), so I doubt it's that?
Still coughing, too. He seems fine otherwise, just going to keep an eye on him. If an emergency comes up I guess I'll break out a couple hundred from savings...

Wishing your dog a long life.
He's something like 10 (don't know for sure because shelter adopt 8 years ago), but that's not too old for a small dog. So he probably has a few years left if the heart condition doesn't get too serious.

Reading on this page:
http://www.2ndchance.info/conghtfaildog.htm

This sounds like where Treader is:
When heart failure is more advanced, owners tend to bring their pets in because of a group of problems that they say came on very gradually. The most common one is a dry cough. Most owners will say that this cough is worst when the dog is resting. They usually also tell me that their dog doesn’t play as much as it used to and lays around more. They may notice that it breathes faster than it once did and is reluctant to climb stairs or hop onto the bed. These dogs are in still in early heart failure.
The only symptom I'm noticing is a dry cough, but this is making me uneasy.

I could dig some money out of savings and take him in for an exam, but I don't think it'd do any good because I literally can only afford the visit and not the testing they would need to do.
We have some money that should be coming in in a couple of months, maybe I can take him then....

Last edited:
Looked up heartworms and saw they had similar symptoms. So since I do forget a dose of heartworm preventatives once in a while I went and had that tested today. Came back negative.

I did set an appointment for a wellness exam for Friday. They'll look at him and if they want to do tests they can give me an idea of how much it would cost.They said the cough might even be something as simple as allergies, so if they can at least determine how likely it is to be heart issues versus something else that would be good.

No heart failure.
Vet visit went well. Did an x-ray and that was it. We talked about what could be done with the amount of money I brought with me. X-ray did show some changes, but no immediate concerns. Just have to monitor and keep a record of his breathing when he's asleep.

Went ahead and scheduled an appointment for two weeks from now, but need to talk with my mom about that. I told them I'll talk with her and let them know if we want to cancel or reschedule. They want to do a blood panel next time, it just wouldn't quite fit into the price range today.
I do have some money left over from this visit, and I'll have a bit more in a couple of weeks. (Don't want to dish over any more out of savings than I have to. It is for emergencies, but I'm also saving it for college and stuff.)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back