Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Would You Even Consider this Drug??

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

On my way home from work the last few days, I've heard this drug advertised on the radio. I looked everywhere for the radio spot on line, because it is priceless! The first time I heard it, I thought it HAD to be a spoof. No one in their right mind would take this drug!! BUT IT'S NOT A SPOOF!!

The ad says it's for people who change work shifts to help them stay awake. I wish I had the radio spot to share, but this will have to do. Good Grief!! Look at these side effects! :shocked!

Nuvigil said:
What important information should I know about NUVIGIL?

• NUVIGIL may cause serious side effects including a serious rash or a serious allergic reaction that may affect parts of your body such as your liver or blood cells, and may result in hospitalization and be life-threatening. If you develop a skin rash, hives, sores in your mouth, blisters, swelling, peeling, or yellowing of the skin or eyes, trouble swallowing or breathing, dark urine, or fever, stop taking NUVIGIL and call your doctor right away or get emergency help.
What are possible side effects of NUVIGIL?

• Stop taking NUVIGIL and call your doctor or get emergency help if you get any of the following serious side effects:
    • Mental (psychiatric) symptoms, including: depression, feeling anxious, sensing things that are not really there, increase in activity (mania), thoughts of suicide, aggression, or other mental problems.
    • Symptoms of a heart problem, including: chest pain, abnormal heart beat, and trouble breathing.

I heard the ad, too. I thought right away, "Well, that swing shift stuff is bad, but I don't think a DRUG is the answer".

Just think about it - a perfect customer for that drug would be (wait for it............) Air Traffic Controllers! They are required to do "swing shift" work!

This is a commercial I had in mind as I was listening to this spot on the radio. I thought for sure it was a joke!!

This is hilarious! :lol

[video=youtube;0o33tZfqF_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o33tZfqF_M[/video]

But seriously! Just to stay awake? I could see if the alternative was death by fire-ants, but the swing shift!?

You are aware that paracetamol has a similar list of side effects including.

Rash, peeling, Bleeding from your stomach, Hepatitis, Swelling, Water retention, electrolyte imbalances, Abnormal black tarry stools, yellowing of eyes, coma, Renal failure.

The issue is how likely and how severe it's probable to be.

You are aware that paracetamol has a similar list of side effects including.

Rash, peeling, Bleeding from your stomach, Hepatitis, Swelling, Water retention, electrolyte imbalances, Abnormal black tarry stools, yellowing of eyes, coma, Renal failure.

The issue is how likely and how severe it's probable to be.

Having worked in the medical industry for 20+ years, I'm very aware of the FDA guidelines for fair & balanced information, which makes the way this laundry list of side effects reads even more mind boggling to me. I realize many of them probably effect < 2%, but point was, if people read or hear these, who would want to take it? That is a whack list!!

Nuvigil (and Provigil) aren't just used for shift work re-adjustment and narcolepsy. They're sometimes used in ADD, depression, general fatigue, and occasionally to help cognitive issues in schizophrenia--basically anytime you need a (decidedly overpriced) stimulant, but the doctor doesn't want to or can't use something like Ritalin or an amphetamine. I think its also used in drug-dependence treatment (again, off-label) for people who have "issues" with stimulant drugs.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back