Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

YOGA

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
handy said:
:lol: Thanks Antitox.

I think ALV brings up a good point as well. While all things are lawful, the question is, is something profitable? Does it edify? And this gets us right back to the individual. For many, Yoga and Karate are very profitable. Many have found better physical health and the over-all well being that comes from toned physical condition from it. While I was involved in Community Theater, my immediate supervisor for the day job was impressed at the fact that I could, in essense, work two full time jobs, yet still be completely functional and efficient at work. I credited the Yoga exercises for the ability to have both the energy and stamina needed to perform both my jobs as well as the relaxation needed to get a good night's rest in between.
Others might find that these things are not profitable or do not edify. Naturally, if one feels that it is wrong, of course they shouldn't do it. One must follow conscience on these things.

Here's a question to ponder: If something is truly not profitable or edifying, let's say playing Solitare on the computer, is it up to another Christian to say whether or not a person should engage in that activity?

If I may ask another question: What does Paul say about 'buffeting the body"?

Sorry, I'm not understanding your connection of 1 Corinthians 9:27 here. What are your thoughts on how it applies to this discussion? Are you suggesting that anyone who exercises using Yoga will somehow lose salvation? Or, that Yoga exercises are a great way to discipline the body for God's greater glory?

If you can clarify your point, that would be great!

handy said:
Sorry, I'm not understanding your connection of 1 Corinthians 9:27 here. What are your thoughts on how it applies to this discussion? Are you suggesting that anyone who exercises using Yoga will somehow lose salvation? Or, that Yoga exercises are a great way to discipline the body for God's greater glory?

If you can clarify your point, that would be great!

Forgive me, my brain wasn't functioning correctly, I meant 1 Tim 4:8 "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. "

Now, I do not believe that Paul is suggesting that we are to not maintain our bodies - on the contrary, our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. However, I believe there needs to be caution when all we are doing is trying to improve our phsical phyisque (sp?)

Forgive me, my brain wasn't functioning correctly, I meant 1 Tim 4:8 "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. "

The question that it appears you are driving at is whether doing physical stretches is somehow not godly due to having a prior association with spiritism practices in the style mentioned. I think that's what we have differed on because of the training element versus attaching a spiritual practice to it.

Now, I do not believe that Paul is suggesting that we are to not maintain our bodies - on the contrary, our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. However, I believe there needs to be caution when all we are doing is trying to improve our phsical phyisque (sp?)

I don't think its so much trying to improve our physique but rather maintain the body in the healthiest state possible, thereby preventing the body's tendency to wear out as easy and reduce physical problems from being out of condition.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back