Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

You shall be Saved

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

Who is able yet to correctly reconcile this verse: All that call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved? It doesn't specify the people involved.

Things to consider,

A sinner in trouble prays to God to deliver him from his present life-threatening situation

A non Christian (say a muslim who remains a Muslim )

And the word SAVED may be a little equivocal in the sense that some may understand it as being saved from sin or being saved from an unpleasant situation

Thanks for your input

Hi Classik. Thanks for asking this question. I am just among millions of other Christians who try to understand Bible interpretations. In the end result you may get a multitude of different answers. While that may be true as Christians we continue to seek God and His word we are called word seekers seeking the Lord and to know His Truth. In this this position should always make us Christians humble ourselves to God that we rely on the Lord for His help and understanding.

Basically what I believe you brought up is mentioned several times in the Bible. The Book of Joel 2:32, 32 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Shall be saved.

Romans 10:13 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”[g] and Acts 2:21 21 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Shall be saved.’[b] .

This is a commandment both in the Old and New Testaments which holds strong emphasis is that God wants us to call upon him.

Who is all? Is this everyone? Can Muslims do this? Can Buddhist do this? Will ‘All be saved by doing this? Well to truly understand God’s Word is the Bible must be seen as a whole. What this means one could open the Bible and assume anyone that calls on God will be saved Muslim and Buddhist included. These are those kinds of people that like to pick out certain verses to match their own lifestyle or way of belief and not acknowledging what other scriptures say about these chosen scriptures. So a Buddhist could say if all are saved I just called Gods name now I am saved also even as I also serve Buddha. This Buddhist does not understand that verse if he or she said such a thing all didn't specify names. And all did not mean everyone.

All means only those who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved. What is the full understanding of this commandment? I believe the best explanation is the Ten Commandments especially that of the First. Here is the first commandment. Exodus 20:2-6 2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

So now the first commandment will now show us what this verse means. All those who call on the Lord will be saved. First commandments you will have no other gods. . So the Muslims who say if I call on your God I will be saved. . No they won't not if they also also serve Allah. The one who also serves Buddha also will not be saved. These people are the ones not saved because Islam worships a false god. Buddhist follows a carved image.

So the Lesson is only those who call on the name of the Lord will be saved. But to acquire this salvation means “to call on the Lord only’ no other Gods or images. Not only that we seek God first before anyone else.

If we say my friend said so I did. Then my friend said so I listened. But your friends advice often goes against God. So relying on this friend also neglects calling on the name of the Lord that is first. That is why the First Commandment fits together with ‘All those who call on the name of the Lord will be saved. God is telling He is the only God and the only true divine being we should call and ask for help.

God wants to be first in our life and not second or any other place. God wants to be working in our hearts and our lives. God is called our Father in heaven. We are called His children. Who do we call upon? Our Heavenly Father. So Anyone who calls on the name of the Lord to make Him as the true Father will be saved. So all will not be saved just because they utter Gods name. But those who have truly believed and served God truly are those who called upon the name of the Lord. Our one true and Holy God. For there is no other beside Him.

Thank you for your detailed reply. That is to say we cannot share the same GOD from our different religious backgrounds?

Who is able yet to correctly reconcile this verse: All that call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved? It doesn't specify the people involved.

Things to consider,

A sinner in trouble prays to God to deliver him from his present life-threatening situation

A non Christian (say a muslim who remains a Muslim )

And the word SAVED may be a little equivocal in the sense that some may understand it as being saved from sin or being saved from an unpleasant situation

Thanks for your input
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

I do not believe a person calling upon a god statue, or some golden calf while being sucked into the earth meets this qualification, but that God discerns those that call to him, and He is not neglect in His grace to all. I came out of Catholicism and once asked about some of the certified miracles certain ones praying to Mary received. A very wise to me teacher answered: our Father knows Who they are really trying to reach and His grace reaches to them, or his answer was something to that effect.

I truly believe this comes to fruition when someone may have heard of the LORD most of their lives; possibly even in Sunday School and never made a commitment. All of a sudden they’re in a foxhole somewhere with bullets flying all around, and in fear call upon God for His help. In a crisis many others don’t think of this or have time to. As a Christian I rode motorcycles, and one time a Lincoln ran a stop sign in front of me. I T-boned him at approximately 35 to 40 MPH. According to a witness I was tossed into the air higher than a telephone pole and landed in the street. Did I call out to the Lord? No, I can only remember shouting some expletive I won’t repeat. Thank God I was already under God’s care not dependent upon my works but due to Whom I believed.

God bless you this day in Jesus’ name.

Classik your question about serving another god. The first is who do you believe to be God? Because who you believe to be is the one we end up following. God tells us in the Bible there is only one God no one beside Him. .

Isaiah 44:6 - Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I [am] the first, and I [am] the last; and beside me [there is] no God.

Isaiah 43:11 - I, [even] I, [am] the LORD; and beside me [there is] no saviour.

1 Timothy 2:5 - For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

The term to believe in a single one God is called Monotheism. Mono means “one’ Theism means belief in God. So Monotheism the belief in one God. God proclaims in the Bible He is the only God that truly exists. That anything else called god is not really God himself. . Take notice when a false god is being mentioned the false god is lower case g in god. When the Bible speaks of the one true God it is now G a capital.

To understand this concept or way of knowing God is knowing God himself. This takes study as to whom God is. However just turn to Genesis chapters 1and 2. This in itself God made all things the Heavens and the Earth. There are many scripture and passages to reference more God created all things. This means God was the first being before any other being existed. It also means no planets stars comets did not exist either.

Every single thing we see God made all things. We don’t need to be impressed by the work of mans hands. For God can do much greater work than man is able to to do. .

Psalm 127:1 (NKJV) | In Context | Whole Chapter
Laboring and Prospering with the Lord

A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon.
127 Unless the Lord builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the Lord guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain.

Our quest for God is to realize and believe who God is. Then to know God has a plan for our life. God knows us and recognizes us personally even as each fingerprint is different on each persons hand. So even when we stand in a crowd of millions of people God will still see us as a friend He recognizes in these large crowds. How does God do this? That’s what makes Him God. There is nothing impossible God can’t do. But please know since God is a God of reason. God won't do anything such as tipping over a car if one ask God to do so. Therefore God answers sincere prayers. God is not there for us to do some kind of magic show. . But God is full of compassion who desires to help people who also them who call upon His name.

God does not want us serving another god of any kind. Read in the Book of Joshua how angry God was upset at these people having gods among them. God the true God called them out of Egypt and delivered them out of slavery and bondage. . What did they do in return? Many of them fashioned an image of their own god. God was furious! What are you doing? I am the one true God that of our Fathers Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. Serve the one true God. . Don’t bow down to these idols.

Why?Idols are just carved images. They have no real power. If idols are made of wood or rock that is worshiping what has been created. It puts God in last place. So the answer to your question is no we are not able to serve another god while we serve God in the Bible. Since there is only one true God who made all things. There is no reason to bow down and worship anything or anyone else. . So one worships God worships our very creator. The very creator that wants us to know Him that God will in His word show us His plan and direction even the promise through His Son to give us everlasting Life.

Here is a link more about serving other gods and what the Bible says about it. It contains a few verses.

http://www.ucg.org/teen-bible-study...nts/first-commandment-do-not-worship-other-g/

As for Eugene being saved from this accident while He did say bad words it was God way of saying Eugene its not your time to die yet. I have a plan. God saved his physical life but that does not mean God saved him eternally. That does not happen to one who calls upon the Lord. Romans 10:13.

God has rescued many of us getting killed dying in the hospital as in my case giving us more time to live. . God did not want us to die without knowing Him. He wanted us to know the promises. He wants us to turn from our old ways of lying, stealing, and drinking which is called sin.

So don’t serve anything else called God. Don’t live a sinful lifestyle. Call on the Lord. Be patient and enuring. We are tested in both good circumstances and bad circumstances. God will see how we react in these things. So when our situation is good call upon the Lord and when it is bad call upon God. Because whether it rains or whether the sun shines upon us every day we call upon the name of the Lord and that is what Romans 10:13 means. Because to call on the Lord also means to be Faithful and true to God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back