Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Your Desert Island Bible

Your desert island Bible ?

• NIV

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • ESV

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • NKJV

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • NET

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NLT

• NSB

• KJV

• CSB

• The Message

• Other

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I always would prefer the KJV.

My choice of the KJV would be the Old Scofield Study Bible.

Quantrill
Quantrill, I grew up with the 1917 KJV Scofield and learned the gospel from from it and am familiar with it. I now have a differing view on eschatology, which is quite brief, our Lord is going to return in like manner as he ascended and there will be resurrection and judgement. You may find my study on Matt. 24:34 of interest. I am posting it on the Theology Forum. Don't get angry with me over it, but think about my post. :)

I have always used The Opened Bible KJV since my sister bought me my first one back in the 70's. It has a hugh topical index of everything you would want to study from Genesis to Revelation and a good size concordance. It's filled with Biblical archaeological discoveries with pictures, Prophetic scripture from the OT fulfilled by Christ in the NT. A guide to Christian workers and maps. Cross references after many verses and definition of some words for clearer understanding. It's like having everything right at your finger tips.

Quantrill, I grew up with the 1917 KJV Scofield and learned the gospel from from it and am familiar with it. I now have a differing view on eschatology, which is quite brief, our Lord is going to return in like manner as he ascended and there will be resurrection and judgement. You may find my study on Matt. 24:34 of interest. I am posting it on the Theology Forum. Don't get angry with me over it, but think about my post. :)

Why would I find your study of interest when you say you reject the Scofield version of eschatology, after I have said I believe it is the best KJV Bible.

Go ahead and post your eschatological views. Just because people differ from me doens't mean I always am interested in their views or will respond.

Why do you use the term 'angry'? I don't know you and don't believe I have ever responded to anything you said.

Quantrill

Oh Rose, you are missing out on so much by not taking advantage of Bible software, since it is free. If you wish to find a phrase rather than just a word, the software will search the entire Bible or sections of the Bible for the exact phrase. You can also search for more than one word in a verse where you want all the words in the verse, or any of the words you input and the software finds it. You can do it with the KJV or many other translations. Using the KJV you can use the Strong's numbers and do word studies in the Hebrew and the Greek. You have the Strong's Hebrew-Greek dictionary and you can also download free the lexicons also such at Thayer's and AMGL. I remember before the computer age I had to study with Strong's and Young's hardcopy using the long Yellow Legal pads to make my word study notes, etc. The software is a God-send! Yet, I do have a sister who does refuse to use a computer, so maybe you have the same outlook as sis! :lol
I've seen tools such as this used before in some churches on a projection screen to pair along with sermons or so everyone can see the scripture and surrounding context and they definitely have a lot of different options, modes, and search options.

Haha, I'm an internet addict so I try to be very careful about when I turn on a computer with an internet connection. I used to spend up to 18 hours a day playing on the computer as a teen...it terrified me to die and go to Heaven without an internet connection. There were times my parents had to hide the router and I thought I'd probably just die if I didn't have it. I had a problem for sure then...the internet is so enticing. I have had to find alternatives in the past decade to spend time with and caring for the people I love as another reason I prefer to use printed books. It's still fun to me to have different printed Bible versions in front of me (usually the NIV, KJV, and Geneva 1599) as well as a Strong's Concordance. So many different things to learn!

Thanks for the resources, though. I will keep them in mind :)

Here is my choice a Thompson chain reference KJV .

KJV Large Print Thompson Chain Reference Bible

""Influence-Free" Study Bible
A Thompson® is considered by some to be the only true "Influence-Free" Study Bible. This is the one very important difference between a Thompson® and most other study Bibles. Most study Bibles fill their margins with another person's commentary. These are notes from a knowledgeable author who tries to explain the text to you. Commentaries can be useful, but every author has his or her own view and biased agenda. Commentaries offer wide and often opposing influence. The Thompson® Bible is "influence-free," because instead of commentary, the margins are filled with thousands of chain-references® that propel you ahead into Scripture. Scholars agree that the Bible is its own best commentary, and the Thompson® Chain-Reference® Study Bible is built on this premise."

That's a hard one. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Knowing what the weaknesses are, I might say the N.I.V., which may be the translation I'm most critical of.

It's a hard choice because I like to compare translations to figure out meanings, but if I had to pick one - I would bring along the NIV. The reason for this is that most people easily understand it. The English in it is very modern. Although, there are some parts that seem lost in translation, overall it's decent.
You will be alone, so what others may think or understand is not going to be an issue.
Want to change your vote?

Last edited:
Here is my choice a Thompson chain reference KJV .

KJV Large Print Thompson Chain Reference Bible

""Influence-Free" Study Bible
A Thompson® is considered by some to be the only true "Influence-Free" Study Bible. This is the one very important difference between a Thompson® and most other study Bibles. Most study Bibles fill their margins with another person's commentary. These are notes from a knowledgeable author who tries to explain the text to you. Commentaries can be useful, but every author has his or her own view and biased agenda. Commentaries offer wide and often opposing influence. The Thompson® Bible is "influence-free," because instead of commentary, the margins are filled with thousands of chain-references® that propel you ahead into Scripture. Scholars agree that the Bible is its own best commentary, and the Thompson® Chain-Reference® Study Bible is built on this premise."
My Zondervan large print KJV bible is also "influence free", except at the starts of the book, where they put in their own beliefs on somethings.
They too have scripture notations that lead to other parts of the bible.
When I replace an old bible with a new one, I use the first to put in all the changes I have made to their "notes".
Sometimes their notes are based on a single word...so useless to anyone.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back