I had a spiritual awakening in 1983. For me it was a shift in consciousness from agnostic to believer. Today, I believe the Holy Spirit came to me but he did not reveal himself as the Holy Spirit at the time so I just called it the voice my Higher Power or God.
Yeats later I came to know Christ. The Holy Spirit told me 4 years ago that Christ was real; he was more than a prophet, he lived among us; he died for our sins; and he was resurrected. Basically she said, “Susan, get with the program.” So I did.
Days later I told someone I had been visited by the Holy Spirit. Even though this friend was a Christian she did not believe me. I became embarrassed and stopped talking about it.
Months after that, I talked to my pastor about this and he asked me: “How do you know the voice was the Holy Spirit. Maybe it was Satan?” I could not answer him at the time but since then I have created a list of things that must be present if I am talking to the Holy Sprit. I share them with you and hope you are graced by the presence of the Lord in the guise or the great Comforter and Counselor.
1. The instructions must be loving. It is not from God if the feeling tells me to do something mean or cruel.
2. It must not be selfish. If it benefits me it must also benefit others. Writing benefits me because it is fun but my writings are always to help people.
3. The feeling is uplifting. It will make me feel good. If I am judging myself or others I am not listening to the right feeling.
4. It should bear fruit. Whatever is said will lead to something wonderful. A change for the best or some kind of blessing.
5. The Holy Spirit will never contradict the scriptures in the New Testament.
P.S. I asked the Holy Spirit why it took so long before I came to believe in Jesus Christ. I was told that (1) I was not ready for the Truth, and (2) the Holy Spirit wanted me to help addicts heal and many of them were not Christians. So I did and now I am home.