Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

300+ Atheist Replies; I Can't Keep Up!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hey friends! Yesterday morning I posted a thread in the "Atheism" sub-Reddit to have a civil discussion about faith and religion. To my pleasant surprise, as of writing this, over 300 users have taken interest in the discussion. The problem: I want to reply to each and every single one of them, but with me being in-and-out of the house, I can't keep up with the flow of traffic. If you want to theologically challenge your faith, build your skill-set of apologetics, or just simply let them know that they're loved, that would be awesome! I feel bad that I can't even keep up on my computer, let alone on my mobile!

Edited out per ToS rule 2:10

Hey friends! Yesterday morning I posted a thread in the "Atheism" sub-Reddit to have a civil discussion about faith and religion. To my pleasant surprise, as of writing this, over 300 users have taken interest in the discussion. The problem: I want to reply to each and every single one of them, but with me being in-and-out of the house, I can't keep up with the flow of traffic. If you want to theologically challenge your faith, build your skill-set of apologetics, or just simply let them know that they're loved, that would be awesome! I feel bad that I can't even keep up on my computer, let alone on my mobile!

Here is the thread, in case you're interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/6lm16w/help_me_build_my_apologetics/

That's a lot of posts.

However 5 atheist replies deep, it's the standard fare assertions and arguments.

They immediately "impeach" the star witness, The Bible and they have to in order to direct the conversation.

I usually start there...ask them for valid reasons to impeach the Bible. Specifically the NT. There are only a handful of scholars who deny the historic Jesus. So right there they show their biased hand.

Sorry don't have time for atheist canned polemics. However, ping me here if you come across an argument they present you want advice on responding. I think you would get a lot of help here with that approach.

That's a lot of posts.

However 5 atheist replies deep, it's the standard fare assertions and arguments.

They immediately "impeach" the star witness, The Bible and they have to in order to direct the conversation.

I usually start there...ask them for valid reasons to impeach the Bible. Specifically the NT. There are only a handful of scholars who deny the historic Jesus. So right there they show their biased hand.

Sorry don't have time for atheist canned polemics. However, ping me here if you come across an argument they present you want advice on responding. I think you would get a lot of help here with that approach.
Thank you! I really appreciate your thoughts. I also contacted a friend who is currently studying Biblical Theology at Oxford, and he actually recommended to abandon the thread Edited due to ToS rule 2.10 because he finds the lack of ethics in Atheist arguments very reductive of human experience. He argues that ethics is an important aspect of understanding whether something is right or not; it's not just about rationality or bust.

Thank you! I really appreciate your thoughts. I also contacted a friend who is currently studying Biblical Theology at Oxford, and he actually recommended to abandon the thread Edited per ToS rule 2:10 because he finds the lack of ethics in Atheist arguments very reductive of human experience. He argues that ethics is an important aspect of understanding whether something is right or not; it's not just about rationality or bust.
Sage advice. The good news is we can all benefit from reading the posts. You never know there might just be one seeker there and you can focus on those types.

You'll get tired trying to reply to everything, yeah, so definitely don't worry about replying to every single one. But it does sound like a good exercise in debate and exposing yourself to counter arguments. :)

If you feel God put this in your heart to do then He'll probabley strengthen you to handle the conversation as it goes. But if you're not sure God is with you to make it successful, (for whatever purpose God has for it), then take this advise. Your out numbered and people can start to cherry pick what you say to throw you off or make a point that isn't the issue you were trying to address. With this in mind know your limits. Or set aside a set of limits for yourself do that you don't get pulled under by the debate that you meant to be a witness and an encouragement. Good luck if you stick with it. But don't feel like you have to unless God's influenced you to. Pull out when you feel it's nessassary.

Back