Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

- A Smile of Encouragement –

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Shadrach

Servant of the Lord
Colossians 3:12, “Therefore, as the elect of God … put on tender mercies, kindness”

I read a story sometime ago about a man who had become so despondent that he was going to take his own life by jumping off a bridge not far from where he lived. As he was walking toward the bridge, he decided that if he met just one person who smiled and appeared to be friendly, he wouldn’t jump. Strangely, the story ended without telling what happened, but the writer asked some very penetrating questions … suppose that man had passed you or me on that dark day:

(1) Would he have changed his direction?
(2) Or would he have carried out his desperate plan?

I know the chance of encountering an individual in that state of mind is very small. Yet, every day we come in contact with many people in diverse walks of life who are carrying heavy burdens, facing trying situations, or worrying about the future. They long for a kind word, a sympathetic ear, or a warm friendly smile that reflects a caring heart. I know of an individual who is always ready with a big smile that radiates the love of Christ. I believe he is the kind of person who would have caused that desperate man heading for the bridge to stop and turn around. Today, for Jesus’s sake and with a Christlike love, may we encourage people who are hurting by giving them a kind word and a friendly smile?

Closing thoughts:

Everyone needs encouragement. There are so many people in this world who feel discouraged, pressed in, cornered, unworthy, unlovable, or completely overwhelmed by the circumstances of their lives. You can make a difference in one moment by giving them a simple smile. Have you ever taken a look at the faces of shoppers in a mall? I have noticed how downhearted many of them appeared.

They seem impatient, tense, weary and sad. I wanted so much to pass out some encouraging words to make them feel better. I decided to give everyone a big smile and greeting. I was amazed by the hesitant smiles I received in return. I hope I made their day a little brighter and that they would pass the smile along to someone else. God’s eternal Word tells us to encourage one another and to build one another up. And you know what? It’s so easy to do this when you pass along a friendly smile. So, if you see someone without a smile today give them one of yours because it might just be what they need!

The human spirit soars with hope when lifted by an encouraging word and smile.

Colossians 3:12, “Therefore, as the elect of God … put on tender mercies, kindness”

I read a story sometime ago about a man who had become so despondent that he was going to take his own life by jumping off a bridge not far from where he lived. As he was walking toward the bridge, he decided that if he met just one person who smiled and appeared to be friendly, he wouldn’t jump. Strangely, the story ended without telling what happened, but the writer asked some very penetrating questions … suppose that man had passed you or me on that dark day:

(1) Would he have changed his direction?
(2) Or would he have carried out his desperate plan?

I know the chance of encountering an individual in that state of mind is very small. Yet, every day we come in contact with many people in diverse walks of life who are carrying heavy burdens, facing trying situations, or worrying about the future. They long for a kind word, a sympathetic ear, or a warm friendly smile that reflects a caring heart. I know of an individual who is always ready with a big smile that radiates the love of Christ. I believe he is the kind of person who would have caused that desperate man heading for the bridge to stop and turn around. Today, for Jesus’s sake and with a Christlike love, may we encourage people who are hurting by giving them a kind word and a friendly smile?

Closing thoughts:

Everyone needs encouragement. There are so many people in this world who feel discouraged, pressed in, cornered, unworthy, unlovable, or completely overwhelmed by the circumstances of their lives. You can make a difference in one moment by giving them a simple smile. Have you ever taken a look at the faces of shoppers in a mall? I have noticed how downhearted many of them appeared.

They seem impatient, tense, weary and sad. I wanted so much to pass out some encouraging words to make them feel better. I decided to give everyone a big smile and greeting. I was amazed by the hesitant smiles I received in return. I hope I made their day a little brighter and that they would pass the smile along to someone else. God’s eternal Word tells us to encourage one another and to build one another up. And you know what? It’s so easy to do this when you pass along a friendly smile. So, if you see someone without a smile today give them one of yours because it might just be what they need!

The human spirit soars with hope when lifted by an encouraging word and smile.

I smile at people all the time, and am constantly trying to make eye contact. The hard part about doing it is that most people in say a Walmart will not even look at you, let alone make eye contact or exchange a kind acknowledgment. But I never stop trying because it's just my nature. I walk in joy, and am generally friendly with others in public.

I find this encouraging. It's a reminder that even if nine out of ten won't acknowledge you, that tenth person may really be needing a kind gesture from someone, even if it's just something as simple as a smile.

I smile at people all the time, and am constantly trying to make eye contact. The hard part about doing it is that most people in say a Walmart will not even look at you, let alone make eye contact or exchange a kind acknowledgment. But I never stop trying because it's just my nature. I walk in joy, and am generally friendly with others in public.

I find this encouraging. It's a reminder that even if nine out of ten won't acknowledge you, that tenth person may really be needing a kind gesture from someone, even if it's just something as simple as a smile.
I agree with what you have said especially "that tenth person may really be needing a kind gesture from someone even if it's just something as simple as a smile".

And that, my dear friend, is a good work/deed.
Something we Christians sometimes debate as to its necessity.

Last edited:
Back