Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

About how many here hold some preterism views?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
It says that they kept quiet and told no one IN THOSE DAYS [the days of Jesus' living] of the transfiguration, not particularly what they had seen [if anything] in the clouds.

John, for one was shown Jesus coming in the clouds, and wrote for all of us the event in the book of Revelation.

What could the other disciples have been shown as they stepped into the very same cloud of Glory that Jesus described He would return in.

Were they shown the Kingdom of God, when they stepped into the cloud.

If Moses and Elijah were there, they were in God's Kingdom, so whatever they were shown had to be related to the Kingdom of God.

You said, if anything?

God does everything for a reason.

That was His Church Leadership, those that represented His Government.

When they entered the cloud, it was for a reason. That reason was for them to see thing that pertained to God's Kingdom.

JLB
But that doesn't excuse the association of his coming in power, glory, with angels and rewards with the lifes of some of those standing there.
The context points to a time after they would be tested with their own crosses, which history also records occurred..

The narrative doesn't say that the saw anything in the cloud, but only that they heard a voice from the cloud. You adding opinion, ideas and assumption to the text to fit your hypothesis. And you ignore the evidence of the contrxt that contradicts your hypothesis.

Additionally, as noted before this was 6-8 days later.
I really can't imagine anyone continuing EDITED after reading the post I made showing everyone the context of the statement of Jesus that some would not taste death till they saw the kingdom of God in power, glory, angels and reward. He is suggesting and declaring that some [many] WOULD taste death before seeing him coming in his kingdom in POWER, GLORY, with the ANGELS and REWARD for them for standing for the truth. Is there any record of some tasting death between the time of his statements and 6-8 days later at the transfiguration??

Perhaps one of the others will support the contextual understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snarks and more snarks.... Will get thread shut down then no body gets to talk ....

2.5: Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself. Not necessarily directed at the last poster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snarks and more snarks.... Will get thread shut down the no body gets to talk ....

2.5: Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself. Not necessarily directed at the last poster.

Your right Reba. Thank you again.

It says that they kept quiet and told no one IN THOSE DAYS [the days of Jesus' living] of the transfiguration, not particularly what they had seen [if anything] in the clouds.

John, for one was shown Jesus coming in the clouds, and wrote for all of us the event in the book of Revelation.

What could the other disciples have been shown as they stepped into the very same cloud of Glory that Jesus described He would return in.

Were they shown the Kingdom of God, when they stepped into the cloud.

If Moses and Elijah were there, they were in God's Kingdom, so whatever they were shown had to be related to the Kingdom of God.

You said, if anything?

God does everything for a reason.

That was His Church Leadership, those that represented His Government.

When they entered the cloud, it was for a reason. That reason was for them to see thing that pertained to God's Kingdom.

JLB
But that doesn't excuse the association of his coming in power, glory, with angels and rewards with the lifes of some of those standing there.
The context points to a time after they would be tested with their own crosses, which history also records occurred..

The narrative doesn't say that the saw anything in the cloud, but only that they heard a voice from the cloud. You adding opinion, ideas and assumption to the text to fit your hypothesis. And you ignore the evidence of the contrxt that contradicts your hypothesis.

Additionally, as noted before this was 6-8 days later.
I really can't imagine anyone continuing EDITED after reading the post I made showing everyone the context of the statement of Jesus that some would not taste death till they saw the kingdom of God in power, glory, angels and reward. He is suggesting and declaring that some [many] WOULD taste death before seeing him coming in his kingdom in POWER, GLORY, with the ANGELS and REWARD for them for standing for the truth. Is there any record of some tasting death between the time of his statements and 6-8 days later at the transfiguration??

Perhaps one of the others will support the contextual understanding.

Again, here is what verse 27 said -

27 "But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God."

Verse 28-35 is the fulfillment of them seeing the Kingdom of God.

28 Now it came to pass, about eight days after these sayings, that He took Peter, John, and James and went up on the mountain to pray. 29 As He prayed, the appearance of His face was altered, and His robe became white and glistening. 30 And behold, two men talked with Him, who were Moses and Elijah, 31 who appeared in glory and spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.32 But Peter and those with him were heavy with sleep; and when they were fully awake, they saw His glory and the two men who stood with Him. 33 Then it happened, as they were parting from Him, that Peter said to Jesus, "Master, it is good for us to be here; and let us make three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah"--not knowing what he said. 34 While he was saying this, a cloud came and overshadowed them; and they were fearful as they entered the cloud. 35 And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!"

there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God."

God gave them a glimpse!

Scripture fulfilled!

JLB

I was confused too about what Hope said because Matt. says they did ask?
Then it occurred to me that Mark was making reference to only one of the questions and therefore, he would have given the answers to only the question he has quoted.

At least that's my take on it. If I said Joe asked me what I bought at the grocery store my answer would be what I bought at the grocery store, I would not include in my answer what I bought at the bookstore.

It seems to me that they are all questions about the same thing, which has lead me to re-examine what His coming and the end of the age could mean, especially to the disciples then, as opposed to us today.

Yes, I was just reading in Blue Letter in Trench's synonyms section. He was saying that the translators may have done a disservice in not translating exactly the words used in the GK, such as world compared to age and a few others. There is also a difference IMO between 'coming' and 'presence'.

What would their 'age' be to them?

Looking at Matt. 24:20-21
In the Gk the first meaning of 'world' is not the planet but "an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government"

IMO. Unless we think that sometime in the future we should be hoping that 'the tribulation' does not come on the Sabbath, which doesn't make sense in the context then v21 is not referring to the 'world' as the earth. But it could certainly be referring to a 'system' or 'arrangement' or 'order'.
In v21, then what could this be referring to? Well, it says 'from the beginning' what system existed from the beginning. Well, in the garden the first sacrifice was made to cover man's sin and staying within the context of the discussion (the destruction of the temple (system of sacrifices))....

Just my thoughts....

Jesus describes for us in the preceding verse 20, exactly what age we are in, and will will define the next age.

Please read what Jesus said about this age and the age to come.JLB

Sorry, JLB, I don't understand how does what Jesus said in v20, tell us what age we are in?

I'm not the quickest so what "this age" and "the age to come". I'll do a word search on the "age to come" and read everything. :)

He already returned in 70 AD, as the resurrection is already past.

I never said that Jesus has returned in the flesh or that the resurrection has already happened!! Or that we are living in the millennial kingdom?
Who said that I missed it.....

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The Bible is a compilation of many shorter books written at different times and later assembled into the biblical canon. All but the shortest of these books have been divided into chapters, generally a page or so in length, since the early 13th century. Since the mid-16th century, each chapter has been further divided into "verses" of a few short lines or sentences. Sometimes a sentence spans more than one verse, as in the case of Ephesians 2:8-9, and sometimes there is more than one sentence in a single verse, as in the case of Genesis 1:2. As the chapter and verse divisions were not part of the original texts, they form part of the paratext of the Bible.

This is only wiki but I think it is correct...

JBL,
So your saying that Jesus came in his kingdom in power, glory, with angels and reward; after his followers had been tested, suffered, some if tthem tasting death just 6-8 days later? You can't seperate lk 9:27 from vs 26 and previous verses. You can to yourself, but not to others.

Thus, I'll simply disagree with your interpretation and repoint folks to post

I believe the point of Jesus telling the time of his coming (in power, glory, with angels and apprving reward) to be before some (all) of them had died (their generation). has been made several times.

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread [split]52483[/split]

Back