Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Acid reflux

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
Anyone else have problems with this menace?

I've always had a bit of mild heartburn here and there. Especially after eating certain foods. But the stuff that's been going on lately goes beyond simple heartburn.
I've been waking up in the middle of the night, sitting up suddenly with the image of something overflowing in my mind. Like a volcano. Sometimes I can also hardly breathe. This is followed by acid shooting up my throat and attacking my mouth and nasal cavities. It's physically painful. I usually will get up to wash the awful taste down with water. Then I'll go sit in a chair where I'll sleep for the rest of the night.

Yes, I've been to the doctor about it. No, not necessarily looking for advice, mainly I want to know if others have had similar experiences.

I've always had a bit of mild heartburn here and there. Especially after eating certain foods. But the stuff that's been going on lately goes beyond simple heartburn.
I've been waking up in the middle of the night, sitting up suddenly with the image of something overflowing in my mind. Like a volcano. Sometimes I can also hardly breathe. This is followed by acid shooting up my throat and attacking my mouth and nasal cavities. It's physically painful. I usually will get up to wash the awful taste down with water. Then I'll go sit in a chair where I'll sleep for the rest of the night.

Yes, I've been to the doctor about it. No, not necessarily looking for advice, mainly I want to know if others have had similar experiences.
I have had the same problem.
Thanks be to God, though, as the problem went away after I quit drinking so much beer and cut my Coke consumption way down.
I (Ex-mechanic) used to dread having to climb under a car to work on it while on my back.

I do and it seems to be almost from anything that I eat. So, I take omeprazole to keep it at bay.
I guess then that you are seeing a doctor.
Has he asked you to get a camera lowered into your stomach so he can look at your lower-esophageal sphincter?
That's the valve at the top/entry of your stomach.
Ooops...I thought I was answering the OPer, but you both may profit from it.

Has he asked you to get a camera lowered into your stomach so he can look at your lower-esophageal sphincter?

My doctor has not. Mine is controlled by the medicine.

Oh boy , that acid reflux can cause trouble there . Had to have mine stretched once , I had trouble swallowing till this was done . My Doctor said " You will be back for this again :squint ." And no I have not gone back again , thank you Lord ! NSAID's were a problem maker for me , rarely take one now .

About 10 years ago I was experiencing a lot of trouble with this. One day, not related to my acid reflux, I decided to switch to decaffeinated coffee because I was drinking quite of bit of coffee and thought it might be a good thing. Amazingly, my heartburn issues immediately went away. To this day, if I drink caffeinated coffee, I need to have antacids on standby.

Oh boy , that acid reflux can cause trouble there . Had to have mine stretched once , I had trouble swallowing till this was done . My Doctor said " You will be back for this again :squint ." And no I have not gone back again , thank you Lord ! NSAID's were a problem maker for me , rarely take one now .
Don't you just love doctors who give you bad news before it even happens?
I had tendon release surgery (eight times) and my doc said "carpel tunnel surgery is your next problem".
That was 12 years ago, and my wrists are fine...thanks be to God.

About 10 years ago I was experiencing a lot of trouble with this. One day, not related to my acid reflux, I decided to switch to decaffeinated coffee because I was drinking quite of bit of coffee and thought it might be a good thing. Amazingly, my heartburn issues immediately went away. To this day, if I drink caffeinated coffee, I need to have antacids on standby.
Do caffeinated colas cause you the same problems?

I'm controlling it with medication, and it does seem to keep it at bay. When I miss a dose or two, though, it shows back up right away.

My wife has more medical training than me said that caffeine relaxes your sphincter and that will increase the chance of acid reflux .

Does Coffee Affect the Esophagus?
This explains a question that I had. When I made the switch to decaffeinated coffee, I searched for the side effects of drinking too much decaffeinated coffee and the first thing mentioned was heartburn because it still contains the acids just like caffeinated coffees.

Back