Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

ADAM'S AGE

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

andy pandy

The other day I was asked how old Adam was when he was created (formed from the dust of the ground). I thought it was an interesting question and began to think about it as it is obvious that he was not created a baby.

I came to this conclusion from what I know about Old Testament life. When God threw Eve into the mix he told them to go forth and multiply. In other words produce babies. If the physiology then is the same as today we know that male and fermale can produce babies from about 12 years old.

We also know that it was common for children to marry at a younger age than they do today but that may not be a consideration as marriage was not in the mix with Adam and Eve. Being the only two humans on the earth it was a case of Adam and Eve producing children married or not.

So it is possible that Adam was no older than 12 years old when he was created and when Eve came along she was the same age and together they started making babies.

One could say that with the shenanigans going on over the tree of knowledge of good and evil they were older say 20, but that is conjecture on my part as their makeup in the garden might have been quite different to a 12 y.o. today.

Did you hear the story that Eve got a bit suspicious of Adam because he went out on his own several nights in a row.

"How do I know if you haven't got another woman in your life" she said.

"Don't be silly" was his reply. "You are the only woman on the planet."

That night Adam was woken by Eve poking his side.

"What are you doing?"

"I am just counting your ribs?"

The other day I was asked how old Adam was when he was created (formed from the dust of the ground). I thought it was an interesting question and began to think about it as it is obvious that he was not created a baby.

I came to this conclusion from what I know about Old Testament life. When God threw Eve into the mix he told them to go forth and multiply. In other words produce babies. If the physiology then is the same as today we know that male and fermale can produce babies from about 12 years old.

We also know that it was common for children to marry at a younger age than they do today but that may not be a consideration as marriage was not in the mix with Adam and Eve. Being the only two humans on the earth it was a case of Adam and Eve producing children married or not.

So it is possible that Adam was no older than 12 years old when he was created and when Eve came along she was the same age and together they started making babies.

One could say that with the shenanigans going on over the tree of knowledge of good and evil they were older say 20, but that is conjecture on my part as their makeup in the garden might have been quite different to a 12 y.o. today.

You made a couple of interesting points to think about. Adam and Eve were not married. God told them to multiply throughout the earth.

This was all said before the fall while they were in a sinless condition. Perhaps this adds something to Christ's statement that "in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage" (Matt. 22:30)

Quantrill

According to what we know today, a person's brain physiology is not fully developed until about 20 years old, so why would God create Adam not fully developed? As a teenager (or tweenager), he would be much more susceptible to unknown temptations. But Paul wrote in 2 Tim. that Adam was not deceived, therefore, he had to have fully developed capacity for reasoning. If his reasoning ability was not fully developed when he sinned, he would have an excuse, as he could say "I didn't know," or "I was caught at a bad time." This is the same excuse that people use even today for the sins they commit. It's like saying they were tricked into it. But Adam wasn't tricked. He sinned with his eyes fully open. He knew what he was doing was against God, and knew he would die for it. IOW, he didn't "innocently" do the wrong thing.

The point is that anything beyond what we know scripture says is conjecture, as you admit. There is nothing that indicates they lived for years in the garden before being cast out. It might be reasonable to surmise they lived for 1 year, since they needed to know God and understand what He was talking to them about, so they needed some experience with life. So, they could have possibly lived for 5 or 10 years in the garden prior to being tempted by the serpent. But also, there is nothing to indicate they had sex while in the garden, since Rom. 5 says that through Adam's sin, the whole human race was sinful. This implies they had no children in the garden.

Adam would have to been 0 years old on the day God created him from the dust of the ground and breathed life into him. The same also with Eve as they were not birthed as a baby like in the beginning like Seth and all after him, but someone with the intelligence in order to name all the animals and take care of the garden. Adam lived to be 930 years old, Genesis 5:1-5. Adam was 130 years old when he had his first son Seth after being cast out of the garden of Eden, Genesis 3.

They were adults; able to make a decision and be responsible for it.

Adam would have to been 0 years old on the day God created him from the dust of the ground and breathed life into him. The same also with Eve as they were not birthed as a baby like in the beginning like Seth and all after him, but someone with the intelligence in order to name all the animals and take care of the garden. Adam lived to be 930 years old, Genesis 5:1-5. Adam was 130 years old when he had his first son Seth after being cast out of the garden of Eden, Genesis 3.
Thanks for pointing this out. Adam and Eve could have been in the garden for 30 years before the fall. If we go with the "could have been" speculation, Adam could have been created as an infant, raised by an angel, named the animals between ages 7 and 20, and so on. However, I think the narrative reads as if he was created a physically mature man, and Eve was created as a physically mature woman. And yet, they needed to learn things before being presented with temptation, so it makes sense to me that they were in the garden for some number of years.

Thanks for pointing this out. Adam and Eve could have been in the garden for 30 years before the fall. If we go with the "could have been" speculation, Adam could have been created as an infant, raised by an angel, named the animals between ages 7 and 20, and so on. However, I think the narrative reads as if he was created a physically mature man, and Eve was created as a physically mature woman. And yet, they needed to learn things before being presented with temptation, so it makes sense to me that they were in the garden for some number of years.
They didn't need to learn anything....
They most probably had infused knowledge.

tdidymas

Must leave...but:

Infused knowledge because God didn't sit around during the day and teach them things.
Adam was supposed to take care of the garden...who would have taught him?
He named all the animals because he was their head...
how would he have known about their nature and habits...
Adam was supposed to rule over everything...
who would have shown him how?
Be fruitful and multiply...
how does one raise a baby?
etc

They didn't need to learn anything....
They most probably had infused knowledge.
Maybe, but that's speculation. We know that God walked with them daily in the garden, and that it wasn't all day, since they had time to eat the forbidden fruit before God came (likely in the form of an angel, like the Angel of the Lord). I'm sure they understood conversation, IF they were created as mature humans. But why would it say that God walked with them daily, if they didn't need to learn anything? The only thing that makes sense is that God was telling them things, and one of those things was "don't eat the forbidden fruit." They certainly needed to learn that.

tdidymas

Must leave...but:

Infused knowledge because God didn't sit around during the day and teach them things.
etc
If God met Adam daily in the garden, He would have taught him what he needed to know. Most times in the OT when God appeared to someone, He appeared in angelic form.

Having dominion over the world wasn't instantaneous, indicated by the command "be fruitful and multiply and subdue the earth." Therefore, it wasn't expected that Adam should do it alone.

If God met Adam daily in the garden, He would have taught him what he needed to know. Most times in the OT when God appeared to someone, He appeared in angelic form.

Having dominion over the world wasn't instantaneous, indicated by the command "be fruitful and multiply and subdue the earth." Therefore, it wasn't expected that Adam should do it alone.
What are some gifts that Adam and Eve had that you think we do not have?

IMMORTALITY
INFUSED KNOWLEDGE
ABSENCE OF CONCUPISCENSE

The above were lost after the fall.

Conjecture indeed.
As God created a fully developed man, He also created a fully developed earth.
Which lays to rest the idea of a need for a millennia of evolution to produce anything.

According to what we know today, a person's brain physiology is not fully developed until about 20 years old, so why would God create Adam not fully developed? As a teenager (or tweenager), he would be much more susceptible to unknown temptations. But Paul wrote in 2 Tim. that Adam was not deceived, therefore, he had to have fully developed capacity for reasoning. If his reasoning ability was not fully developed when he sinned, he would have an excuse, as he could say "I didn't know," or "I was caught at a bad time." This is the same excuse that people use even today for the sins they commit. It's like saying they were tricked into it. But Adam wasn't tricked. He sinned with his eyes fully open. He knew what he was doing was against God, and knew he would die for it. IOW, he didn't "innocently" do the wrong thing.

The point is that anything beyond what we know scripture says is conjecture, as you admit. There is nothing that indicates they lived for years in the garden before being cast out. It might be reasonable to surmise they lived for 1 year, since they needed to know God and understand what He was talking to them about, so they needed some experience with life. So, they could have possibly lived for 5 or 10 years in the garden prior to being tempted by the serpent. But also, there is nothing to indicate they had sex while in the garden, since Rom. 5 says that through Adam's sin, the whole human race was sinful. This implies they had no children in the garden.
Just a small point. if Adam was born into perfection as we know he was, his brain physiology would have been fully developed long before he was 20 years old. It could be that it was fully developed at birth. Again this is conjecture but it is a possibility.

tdidymas

Must leave...but:

etc

But of course Adam and Eve learned a lot of new things, how could they not? And who would teach them? Jesus of course. He would walk and talk with them every day is what scripture says. Me suspects that one can not walk and talk with the creator of the universe and not learn, lol. That's all the Lord does is teach us. for the most part at least.

To further the posted speculation of when Adam & Eve had their first child, I agree it must have been after the fall. Because in an unfallen state and created in the very image of God, they likely glowed brightly like the spiritual beings they were created as, so Adam probably could not even see how curvaceous his Wife was. But after they fell, man's spirit was pushed inside and it was then that they could see that they were naked. And then the lusts of the flesh kicked in.

So if it was after the fall that they knew that they were naked, how could they have had any children before that? One can not have kids unless they see the Wife naked first, it's a prerequisite. Unless she makes you turn out the lights, lol.

I have to admit it was not the lust of the flesh that brought us together to make love. It was more a case of the love for each other.

But of course Adam and Eve learned a lot of new things, how could they not? And who would teach them? Jesus of course. He would walk and talk with them every day is what scripture says. Me suspects that one can not walk and talk with the creator of the universe and not learn, lol. That's all the Lord does is teach us. for the most part at least.

To further the posted speculation of when Adam & Eve had their first child, I agree it must have been after the fall. Because in an unfallen state and created in the very image of God, they likely glowed brightly like the spiritual beings they were created as, so Adam probably could not even see how curvaceous his Wife was. But after they fell, man's spirit was pushed inside and it was then that they could see that they were naked. And then the lusts of the flesh kicked in.

So if it was after the fall that they knew that they were naked, how could they have had any children before that? One can not have kids unless they see the Wife naked first, it's a prerequisite. Unless she makes you turn out the lights, lol.
LOL
And that would defeat the purpose....

I agree that they had their first child after being expelled from the Garden.
Genesis 3:24 - 4:1
24So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

1Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, “I have gotten a manchild with the help of the LORD

I learned about the preternatural gifts.
Checked google and came up with this:

I have to admit it was not the lust of the flesh that brought us together to make love. It was more a case of the love for each other.

Well many times it is for many people and I agree with you. I used to think that lust came first and then love, but I had met a nice lady in church one time and we became friends and I never saw her in a lustful way. I had a lot of respect for her as a Sister in Christ and it just never entered my mind...
and then one day out of blue, it was like I saw her for the first time and I knew that she was Wife material, it hit me like a bolt of lightning and after that I did begin lusting for her. But when I see her I do keep myself very respectful and proper to her.

I would not want to make her a stumbling block. That would be terrible. I can't blemish her, she is one of God's favorites!
But I sure would marry her...I think. We are evenly yoked because she is a hard core Christian. I made the mistake of jesting with her about us being an item and so forth...and she rebuked me fast and scripturally. I respect that a lot but it serves to make me want her as wife even more now.

I think that bringing a stumbling block to one of God's children may be the worst thing a man can do...because then they may go out and create even more stumbling blocks.

Back